mcarterbrown.com

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 05-07-2006, 04:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
Pregnant Dude

Just Gotta Vent!!

Now this isn't a huge dilemma, but it cought me off guard, and I was left feeling aggrevated and a little cheated.

I purchased one of those George Foreman Grills from Best Buy the other day and was quite excited to get it home and start grilling. I live in a third floor apartment and lack a backyard of my own to grill in, so George is my only option. Needless to say I was looking forward to juicy grilled steaks.

When I returned home and opened the box, I found that the grill was damaged. It had a large crack right across the top of it. So a trip back to Best Buy for a quick exchange was necessary. This afternoon I headed out , receipt in hand, to make the exchange. When I reach the Customer Service Desk, I am informed that because the item is damaged, they cannot take it back. WHAT!!! Are you kidding me!! Never in my life have I ever come accross such a rediculous policy. I hadn't even removed it from the packing materials, and felt as if they were accusing me of breaking it and trying to stick them with the return.

So my fiance and I asked for a manager, who proceeds to tell us the same thing. She adds that Best Buy purchases its products from the manufacturer with the understanding that the items are in perfect working condition. So I have to contact the mmanufacturer and get a replacement through them.

Does this not go against the whole point of retail stores, to act as middlemen/salesamen between the manufacturer and the buying public? I should have just gone through George himself for that matter.

So now I'll have to contact the manufacturer, ship it to them and have them replace/repair it. Which will probably cost me for shipping.

I f you ask me Best Buy should probably wipe out they're entire customer service area and replace it with a big sign that reads "IT'S NOT OUR PROBLEM – YOU DEAL WITH IT!". Underneath they can list they're manufacturers contact info.

Sorry for the long post, but I had to get it off my chest, and I thought it might help someone else from getting stuck with the same problem. After I resolve this I'll never shop at Best Buy again. If anyone else out there plans on dropping they're hard earned cash in there make sure you check that item inside and out before you buy it.

Best Buy?… I think not.
Old 05-07-2006, 04:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Post Whore

That is terrible. But I understand your frustration and anger. I too have a Best Buy horror story. It involves a laptop. It had to be sent out for “repairs” twice and they would not simply replace it with a new one. There is more to it than that, but that is the short and to the point of it.

Best Buy is just that… often times the best prices for products. They should however have in smaller print below their name “Worse Service”. But I find more and more stores like them have the same policies now days. It is hard to win as a customer.
POG #934 / CPPA #2157 / LPPC #1 / BLACKLEAF OUTFITTERS
"Post because you have something to contribute, not because you want to contribute to your post count." - Me
A5OG / STRIKE FORCE MEMBER
shartley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 04:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

wow, I knew best buy had some strict return policies but try to blame the customer for a defective product out of the box?

But then again, Best Buy is also the same place where someone tried to spend $114 in $2.00 bills only to be arrested because they thought the money was counterfit.
mike31c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 09:07 AM   #4 (permalink)
King of the OFG

Send a message via MSN to Robertsr

Kilt Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike31c
But then again, Best Buy is also the same place where someone tried to spend $114 in $2.00 bills only to be arrested because they thought the money was counterfit.
Nice! I hadn't heard that one. I think if it was me that manager would be handing me a $500 gift card before I left his store. I'm not afraid to make a public scene.

A buddy of mine used to work at a Best Buy, and you'd be shocked at some of the crap that people try to pull on returns, (returning a radio after 15 months, buying a new PS2, and trying to return the old, dusty, sticker covered one for a refund, etc.). It doesn't at all excuse this particular policy though. Just remember the magic formula in retail... 1) dispute your claim in a public area, and be loud... 2) there is ALWAYS someone higher up you can talk to that will give you what you want just to shut you up.

FEEDBACK
Robertsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 09:19 AM   #5 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Location: Ewing NJ (find Trenton, then run North as fast as you can)

That's freaking ridiculous! I would think that one of the fundemental services of retail is refunds for/exchange for damaged merchandise??
I've found that in regards to customer service departments in general, often it depends on who you talk to. Person A may say one thing, person B may say another. I'd try it again to see if they'll exchange it.
I had returned a similarly damaged computer to them one time and had no problem - I figure that I just spoke to the right person at the right time. Maybe give it another shot before you go the route of sending it back to the manufacturer? That's a pain in the arse...
The George Forman grills are excellent by the way!
Old 05-08-2006, 09:32 AM   #6 (permalink)
I Am The Admin

Send a message via AIM to Painthappy

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
For all your Best Buy frustrations:

http://www.improveverywhere.com/miss...?mission_id=57

Enjoy!
Painthappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 09:47 AM   #7 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painthappy
For all your Best Buy frustrations:

http://www.improveverywhere.com/miss...?mission_id=57

Enjoy!
Fun idea… But I stopped reading about ¾ down the page… each story was about the same.
shartley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 10:37 AM   #8 (permalink)
MCB Member

I try to only purchase small items like cd's and DVD's from Best Buy. I used to work there and I have seen some of the things they do. When they are unloading the truck they throw the items to each other. If one drops, oh well still put it out. When getting boxes down from the top shelf rather then use 2 people they just drop it. Even saw them do it with computers. As far as their computer tech's go, they don't even need the bare basic industry wide minimum certification of having A+ cert. If your availability falls into what they need in the comp tech area, you will wnd up there computer knowledge or not.
As far as customers always trying to scam on returns this happens in every retail company. You just need a small amount of inteligance to figure out who is trying to scam you and who is not. It is not that difficult. They should have been able to tell that the item in the box was new and taken it back. As for the line about buying from the manufacture with the understanding that the item is in working condition, that is what every company does but there are always the unknown variables. They are assembled on a line using machines they only spot check a small % for damage. Many hands handle the product before it reaches the store anything could have happened to it between manufacture and you.
I would contact the BBB or another consumer organization and let them know what happened.
comovartia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 01:58 PM   #9 (permalink)
Trololol

Send a message via AIM to Meph

Fan of EMR
As we all know big business is pure evil cuz they kill mom and pop rat stores. We all got that, thank you California. But lets take a look from BB's point of view (if that's even allowed these days).

It's a business, yes. But one that people try to manipulate on not just a daily basis. But an hourly basis. There is ALWAYS somebody trying to scam these places, steal from them, what have you. They have to constantly evaluate situations on if people are being serious or if they are cheats.

I used to work for Circuit City and just like Rob and Com state you would be surprised at some of the crap that goes on in these stores. Not so much CC's loading station, they were good there. Actually had about 4-6 people back there handling the equipment nicely. We were a very efficient store and proud of it. But some of the crap that "customers" try and pull off were amazing. I won't even start to list them.

Without a doubt it sucks that you have a legit problem that was not caused by your neglect. And since I haven't seen the packaging inside to see how easily somebody could tamper with it I cannot comment on your specific situation. I don't know if it's shrink wrapped, or if it is just a plastic bag with a piece of tape that anybody could manipulate.

All I can say is go to Wal Mart. They'll let you return anything from anywhere! You don't need a receipt. Manipulate them!

Meph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 02:38 PM   #10 (permalink)
Pregnant Dude

Good to hear that I'm not the only one who's had a bad experience with BB.

I do understand the other side of the coin, I've done my time in retail establishments over the years (Filenes, Sam Goody, Franklin Mint). And yes, I've seen customers attempting to fool me on a return. However, unless the deception was obvious, i.e. lacking original packaging, showed signs of use or wear, lack of receipt, I was to make the exchange. Now things may have changed in the retail world since last I was there, but that was less than three years ago. Has it changed that much? It was beaten into my brain that the customer was always right, regardless of whether they infuriated me or not.
Oh well.

I hate the idea of returning it to a store I didn't purchase it from. Dishonesty doesn't suit me.

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat