mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 01-24-2007, 06:37 AM   #1 (permalink)
Eli
Phat.

Send a message via AIM to Eli

The girlfriend's gun...

My girlfriend, after playing a few times, has decided to take the plunge and get her first marker. What would you guys recommend based on the following criteria:

Cheap
Lightweight
Not plastic
Semi-automatic
Non-autococking
Non-Smart Parts

Price is an issue for both of us and weight is a HUGE issue for her. She's 5'1 110 lbs, and thinks a Spyder is heavy. I'm a bit out of the loop with what's what these days and would appreciate some feedback.

Thanks!
Old 01-24-2007, 06:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
Post Whore

Can she rock out SC style?

Id suggest the CCI VSC if so.

If not I dont know what is lighter than a spyder yet mechanical and reliable.
Chemical-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 06:52 AM   #3 (permalink)
Eli
Phat.

She's not confident enough for SC. She used my PGP once and traded it to some kid with a semi during the game!
Old 01-24-2007, 08:07 AM   #4 (permalink)
Post Whore

Nothing BE or VL. VL has a few acceptable guns but they are high in dollar amount and low in performance.

I hate to say it but ION keeps popping up in my mind. I know you said that you didnt want SP, with the right upgrades or regular maintanence they can be nice. And its the only gun I can think of thats relatively small, light, fast, and decently reliable. Plus she might have alot of funds with a few of the modes.

If you have a local PB gun store let her shop around and see what she likes, then go from there.

Also I am assuming that she already has her own mask.
Chemical-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 08:18 AM   #5 (permalink)
Every Dog has its Day

Send a message via AIM to netsurferdude2 Send a message via Skype™ to netsurferdude2

Actually theose old pirannah blow blacks were super light. My buddy had one and would always brag about how light it was.

All metal except for the grip frame.
When I worked in the county prison, all my pals among the correctional officer staff were always talking about how they needed a large(r) caliber handgun in case they were confronted by someone on "PCP" or "Angel dust".

Now... all they talk about is zombies.
netsurferdude2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 08:22 AM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Decker Send a message via MSN to Decker Send a message via Yahoo to Decker

Grrr tough one. I too would have suggested an ION hmmm.
If weight is an issue perhaps a remote line is advisable?
When I first started playing I had a BE talon and very quickly Upgraded to a 98 custom and Although I have a growing collection now I still have the old war horse prepped and ready to go. With the way they clamshell open I was able to look at all the parts when I was little and get an understanding on how paintball works mechanically. Im fairly confident if you dropped a marker that was a pile of parts into my lap I can give it a run for the money.

Really most of the tippmann line are built like tanks. Another idea is a used mag. Again they just keep going nonstop and have tons of options for upgrades and modifications. I would think they would certenly be small enough to suit her. With a novice player its a good idea (IMHO) to stick with something low matinence so if they make a mistake on reassembly or cleaning you wont have to worry about it malfunctioning and damaging itself. Mags could also teach you how to not short stroke Handy for if you pursue the game more and come across other markers that you could have happen to you.

Ill rack my brain a little more on it and see what I come up with.
Old 01-24-2007, 08:23 AM   #7 (permalink)
Post Whore

If she thinks a Spyder is heavy, is it because of the marker or the tank attached? You may consider setting her up with a remote to remove the tank weight from the equation. Just an idea….
POG #934 / CPPA #2157 / LPPC #1 / BLACKLEAF OUTFITTERS
"Post because you have something to contribute, not because you want to contribute to your post count." - Me
A5OG / STRIKE FORCE MEMBER
shartley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 08:26 AM   #8 (permalink)
Eli
Phat.

Honestly guys, I was thinking ION too. Are there any markers out there today that are comparable to the ION in weight/size/performance/price?
Old 01-24-2007, 08:42 AM   #9 (permalink)
Passing through rider

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
older spyder and an E-frame? The first spyders are solid as a rock, and can get fast as you want on an e-frame. Plus, you can go vert tank for a nice compact setup.
Riverside Renegade Paintball / C.C. S.V.S. Plankowner - LPPC#6
www.AzzysDesignWorks.com - best replacement jeep gauges in the biz
Old Timer Feedback
Azzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 09:16 AM   #10 (permalink)
Nerd=Geek

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
I've gotta go with either a Spyder on remote or a 98C on remote. They're really the best options for what you're asking. If weight is that much of an issue, why not get her a one-point sling or something?

Andry : )

Proud member of The Peacekeepers, UMSG JTF7, Rogue Cell #12 and CCABB

My Feedback Soft and Hard gear F/S! Got cigar tubes?
CrazyBoy78 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat