mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   ICD (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/icd/)
-   -   Finding a 'cat with the features I want... (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/icd/13826-finding-cat-features-i-want.html)

Chappy 04-03-2007 09:36 AM

Finding a 'cat with the features I want...

I've never owned an ICD, but I've wanted to try one out for sometime. The main thing that turned me off was the powerfeed, which I thought they all had. However, while perusing the EMR museum last weekend I happened upon a Panther vts with a right feed. So that gave me hope.
So here's the feature's I'm looking for-
-Blowback(not looking for a fox right now)
-Right feed
-Dual tank setup (preferably with the rotating vert asa for vertical/horizontal optoins)
-Blowback gas adjustment(do all of them have this option?)

Is there a 'cat with all these features in one?

Azzy 04-03-2007 09:50 AM

Panther VTS has that... and is a damn fine gun.

Only issue you may have is finding barrels, they are a unique thread.

Chappy 04-03-2007 10:04 AM

So the panther has a different threading than the rest of the cats? Bummer. Ah well, I'm not adverse to owning one over that.

But is the Panther the only one available in right feed?

Wycke 04-03-2007 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chappy (Post 127792)
So the panther has a different threading than the rest of the cats? Bummer. Ah well, I'm not adverse to owning one over that.

But is the Panther the only one available in right feed?

Yes, the Panther is the only 'Cat without a powerfeed. Also, the feed tube is at a slightly odd angle...a little bit steeper than 45 degrees, so the hopper leans a bit to the left using a standard elbow.

I thought that the Panther used the same barrel threading as the other 'Cats, but I sold mine off a couple years back, so I can't say for sure.

And to echo Azzy's post, they are (like the other ICD blowbacks) damn fine pieces. High quality machining, solid construction, and highly versatile. I sold mine to Finnigan on here, who I think still owns it. If not, hopefully he sold it to another MCBer. He's the third (I bought it from Hacker - aka "Sir Not Appearing On These Forums").

Chappy 04-03-2007 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wycke (Post 127800)
Also, the feed tube is at a slightly odd angle...a little bit steeper than 45 degrees, so the hopper leans a bit to the left using a standard elbow.

That's odd, to say the least. Was there a specific elbow sold with it that put the hooper at the correct angle?

Anyway, Panther VTS it is. Suppose I'll post wtb soon enough.
How much could I expect to pay for a good to very good condition Panther VTS? And are there any specific barrels anyone's used with one that they'd recomend?

Thanks for the help so far guys!:D

DarkStar 04-03-2007 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wycke (Post 127800)
If not, hopefully he sold it to another MCBer. He's the third (I bought it from Hacker - aka "Sir Not Appearing On These Forums").

I wonder if that's the one I traded to Hacker. That gun is really making the rounds :) (I rescued it from Ebay and it went to Hacker in a partial trade for a vector)

Edit: Nvm, just realized that was an alleycat I sent his way. Nothing to see here, continue on.

-MR

Wycke 04-03-2007 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chappy (Post 127821)
That's odd, to say the least. Was there a specific elbow sold with it that put the hooper at the correct angle?

Anyway, Panther VTS it is. Suppose I'll post wtb soon enough.
How much could I expect to pay for a good to very good condition Panther VTS? And are there any specific barrels anyone's used with one that they'd recomend?

Thanks for the help so far guys!:D

It's really not that drastic an angle, maybe like 47 or 48 degrees...most people wouldn't even notice, but I did. As for cost, 2 years ago, I sold mine for somewhere around $75, I think. I think I've seen one on eBay in the last year with the BIN set just under or near $100. They are pretty rare, but usually don't draw top dollar.

Jiu-jitsu Fighter 04-13-2007 11:59 PM

Too bad you dont want the power feeds. I have a black one with the different bottel confrigurations. And I have a silver one with a m16 type scope rail (looks like the thing on the m16's they can use to mount scopes or carry the gun). One has a m16 style grip and the other a 45 frame. And I have a old school 16" all american with a black back and green tip. The only thing is the silver one leaks for some reason but I havent fixed it because I just thought about using it for parts.

Last I heard the Panther took the same barrel thread as the thundercat and desert foxes.

Finnigan 05-07-2007 04:33 PM

From ICD:

Quote:

Sent: Thursday, July 08, 2004 6:55 PM
To: Armstrong, Brian G x78114
Subject: Re: Barrel threads?

No, the Panther uses a 7/8-20 single lead thread, after the Panther we changed to a 7/8-5 4 lead thread.
----- Original Message -----
To: support@icdpaintball.com
Sent: Thursday, July 08, 2004 2:51 PM
Subject: Barrel threads?

Hello.
I am in the process of purchasing an old ICE Panther VTS. I am interested in possibly purchasing a barrel or tow for it. I know in general all ICD markers have a common barrel thread, but I have seen conflicting reports as to whether or not the Panther VTS had the same thread as your current markers and the rest of the Cats. I got word from another Panther owner that the threads on a Panther were in fact the same as on a Spyder, but the breech length is different.

I was wondering if you could tell me, basically, whether the Panther VTS uses the same barrel threads as the rest of your markers or not.

capitalpaintball 05-07-2007 07:40 PM

I have made 3 barrels for the panther in the past. You need a Pro-lite/A-5 threaded barrel, but it needs to be one with the smaller diameter base(the ones that slide into the foregrip on the pro-lite) old Armsons are great. old SP All Americans work to, and J&J still keeps it thin on their one piece.
What you do is file off the leading threads until the space between the tip and the start of the threads match the stock barrel. Then file the base of the barrel after the threads also matching it to the stock barrel.
Its easy to do in a lathe and then you could use any Pro-lit/A-5 barrel, but I have done all mine with a file.