mcarterbrown.com  

Old 12-01-2010, 06:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
Stock Class Aficionado

CCM Fan
Cat w/ adjustable HPA

I had a thought for running HPA on a Cat. I know they have issues getting usable velocity on HPA and sometimes on CO2, but would an adjustable HPA tank correct this? I am thinking of mounting a Max Flo adjustable and cranking the pressure. Wise? Unwise?
Old 12-01-2010, 07:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
MCB Member

that should work. its all about pressure. I have 1 Alley cat that I can run Hpa on. i use a center flag tank with an output of 800 and it chronys in around 275.
I have another that wont recock with out siphon, its just a matter of finding the right one.
capitalpaintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 07:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Stock Class Aficionado

CCM Fan
Excellent, thanks! I have been going back and forth on Cats for 2 years or so, I think I am going to buy one in the new year. I would love to run it on liquid, but one of the two fields I am going to be able to play at does not fill CO2.

One more question, any idea of what is a good price to pay for a Puma, Bobcat, or Thunder/Alley Cat?
Old 12-01-2010, 09:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

Pumas, and bobcats in todays economy I would say $100 to $150 although I have seen them sell for less. (and more for that matter)
Alley and Thundercats are more like $65 to $90(there's just more of them out there)
Old 12-02-2010, 11:39 AM   #5 (permalink)
Stock Class Aficionado

CCM Fan
Last question, and thanks for the help.

How similar are the spare parts across the Cat family? I have seen Thunder/Alley Cat parts kits on eBay, but can these be used in a Puma/Bobcat? I don't like having guns I can't get parts for.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:48 AM   #6 (permalink)
MCB Member

valve is the same. trigger design is different,sear placement and rear bolt milling are different, rear end cap is different between Alley/Thunder and Puma/Bobcat. body's cant be swapped either.
All springs and seals are the same. parts kits will work except for the body screw lengths.
Old 12-02-2010, 03:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member

The only one I have had trouble with on HPA is an Alley Cat I, which doesn't have a vert adapter. I have straightened, polished and tuned every part I can find, but it won't go over 240 fps with HPA or over 220 fps on a 12 gram. With a back bottle it works just like the manual says it will.

On the others, I just put a blind gas-thru grip or expansion chamber on them and they work fine. The only oddity is that I can just about close off the recock screw when using HPA. That was a problem on the Alley Cat I when the valve body was worn, but this happens on a practically new (but polished) Alley Cat II.

I was going to try my max-flo or flatline on the Alley Cat I, but putting such a small marker on a remote was kind of pointless and I didn't have a bottom-line grip adapter. They are so small and fun with a 9 oz, I decided not to force it. If I had a grip adapter, it would be a good use for my flatline though.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » ICD