mcarterbrown.com  

Old 11-08-2012, 11:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
I has a fuzzy hat

alley cat questions

Ok so I'm looking into getting an alley cat, are they heavy or loud like IV read in some of the reviews, is there any one I can get parts from if I need them, do they work better on co2 or hpa, are they gas hogs, and can you dal regulate them, like using a reg instead of an expansion chamber with co2 or hpa
psycho91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:08 AM   #2 (permalink)
MCB Member

Fan of EMR
"are they heavy or loud like IV read in some of the reviews"

Weight is about the same as a spyder(perhaps a little less). I've always found them to be very loud without paint. But with paint they are fairly quiet especially compared to other blowbacks.

"is there any one I can get parts from if I need them"

iisports has a bunch of rebuilds they list on ebay

Indian Creek ICD Puma Bobcat Alleycat Thundercat Repair Tune Up Parts Seals RARE | eBay

Also, I'm told ICD actually has parts available if you give them a call

"do they work better on co2 or hpa"

I've run them on both. I find co2 works just as well as well regulated HPA. Normally I run co2 on mine.

"are they gas hogs"

In terms of the G6R...yes. In terms of a VM-68 no. Overall about the same as any other blowback.

"can you dual regulate them"

I don't see why not. Though, I have not done it myself.
lexiones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:20 AM   #3 (permalink)
I has a fuzzy hat

Of course there not going to be that effecient, what about body parts, like a vert *** like the one I will be picking up needs, dual reging sounds interesting especially with how much tuning you have to do anyway, and can't you gut the reg that's on the marker and run your own
Old 11-09-2012, 12:21 AM   #4 (permalink)
I has a fuzzy hat

Sorry guys my phone spell checked in me, that's suppossed to be asa and not those stars
Old 11-09-2012, 11:33 AM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

The alley/thunder cats have no built in reg. They run very well on CO2, and can be a little sensitive to HPA pressure. The recock adjustment usually varies between the two significantly. I wouldn't expect to go "low pressure" or much below 500 psi without some serious valve and body porting.

You can sometimes find empire barrel kits for them. With a longer barrel than stock, with a little porting, and some tuning of the recock, they become relatively quiet. If you can tune for the batch of paint you are shooting (velocity and recock for a little under-bore), the efficiency is actually good and I would have to say they are very quiet.

The stock vert asa is mounted with two screws (#8s iirc) and fits into a shallow o-ring pocket on the body. You could probably adapt a different ASA to the body, as long as your milling or drilling. Capitalpaintball may have done such a thing.

They are fun to fiddle with, but I always end up back with a small bottle of CO2. A 9 oz fits me just right and lasts for about 500 rounds. A 200 rd loader and a couple of pods top off a very capable load-out.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
MCB Member

If the cat does not have the vert asa, you will not be able to buy a factory one and put it on. it requires precise milling. you might be able to drill and tap an aftermarket hanger from a mini cocker. but if you are dead set on vert air then find a cat with it.
I wouldn't bother regulating a cat, the valve was designed for high pressure and i don't see where any improvement could be gained. they are actually quite efficient if you are not running siphon.

I think you have the Alleycat and Thunder cat confused with the Desert Fox.
The Fox is a regulated blow forward gun, it has a vert asa that easily mounts to the front(good luck finding one if its missing, you wont.)
capitalpaintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:57 AM   #7 (permalink)
Post Whore

listen to capital. he is the resident mech ICD Cat/Fox guru. nothing he doesn't know about mech ICDs.

Brand New Furious Harnesses for ICD electros
Best place for all things ICD
MCB_feedback
AO_feedback
Nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:51 PM   #8 (permalink)
Four-eyed Freak

I have a couple of Thundercats. They are not loud and not heavy. I was really surprised at the lack of noise and weight when I tested them out. And I got mine to cycle 25+ times off of a 12gram on the rear ASA (the vertical ASA has a reservoir handle thing).

They take a little tuning (two screws) to get running right, but they are really simple to work on and very solid! Just follow the manual for initial set up and you'll be okay (I tightened the "recock" screw until it would "just" lock on the sear.

Anyway.

Parts

Manual

Schematic

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » ICD