mcarterbrown.com  

Old 11-12-2012, 08:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Sidewinder Hoarder

Full Auto Mod'd ICD 'Cat?

I was just thinking, has anyone tried to mod any of the 'cat models to function mechanically on full atuo? I'm talking about mod'ing the sear only, other than spring/bumper I mean (so I don't mean electro sear or electro-pneumatic solenoid).

I did this to a model 98 pre custom. Totally different design, but they are both blow backs. Never tried anything like that on a stacked tube bb, but I imagine if I can do it to a model 98 anyways theoretically possible. Of course chopping and sub par velocity was a major draw back/problem, but with a longer spring, larger hammer and serious buffers/bumpers (kinda like a 68 special) it goes to the point where it would kinda work using a warp feed. But this was back in, what, 2005 or 2006, so it's been a while. With the hoppers of today I'm more confident, assuming it's possible to mod the spring/bumper in the 'cat to get it to work.

Your thoughts? Specifically I'm thinking of doing this with a puma or thunder cat I'll be acquiring in the near future (already got a thunder cat but she's in minty condition and don't want to ruin her). Thank you for your input

Wouldn't a reliable, fully auto 10-13bps cat be cool?!
toymachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
(V) (o,,,o) (V) WOOP WOOP

You'd be hard pressed to make a hammer heavy enough and still within specs to cycle in that short of an action.

If you want to fool around with it I digitized the internals at one point in the past in Google Sketchup. I could give you the files.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by toymachine View Post
Of course chopping and sub par velocity was a major draw back/problem, but with a longer spring, larger hammer and serious buffers/bumpers (kinda like a 68 special) it goes to the point where it would kinda work using a warp feed.
The hammer going full-auto probobly cycles at a rate of 40-45cps. That is faster then any hopper can reliably feed. Remember, with out eyes, the hopper has to feed every round, from first to last at that speed speed, which is impossible since the last few rounds in the stack will only feed at the speed of gravity.

Its one of those things. Its really easy to get the gun to fire f/a. Basicaly, make the slip-sear not slip. But slowing the hammer, and increasing the feed are 2 hurdles that have never really been done easily. Look how complicated the Tippmann F/A ended up being. Forcefeed hopper AND dual hydraulic shocks to slow the hammer... and it still was unreliable.

"the evidence strongly suggests that neither Billy nor Adam (Smart Parts) could have invented the electronic paintgun" -Garr M. King, U.S. Judge
HP_Lovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
(V) (o,,,o) (V) WOOP WOOP

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP_Lovecraft View Post
The hammer going full-auto probobly cycles at a rate of 40-45cps. That is faster then any hopper can reliably feed. Remember, with out eyes, the hopper has to feed every round, from first to last at that speed speed, which is impossible since the last few rounds in the stack will only feed at the speed of gravity.

Its one of those things. Its really easy to get the gun to fire f/a. Basicaly, make the slip-sear not slip. But slowing the hammer, and increasing the feed are 2 hurdles that have never really been done easily. Look how complicated the Tippmann F/A ended up being. Forcefeed hopper AND dual hydraulic shocks to slow the hammer... and it still was unreliable.
Different system entirely of course but the idea of using a secondary sear that retards the action somewhat to slow cycling could be done. Ive simply never thought much on it.
Old 11-24-2012, 12:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

Perhaps you could mess with the cat recock system to work up the bolt delay.

some things are stickier than others
Spider! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
08sdekim

Brass N Wood Fan
Cycle speed is the big problem. The simplest way to do it is with a long throw and heavy hammer. If you don't have your heart set on a cat you could do it to a 68 special very easily. It already has a slow enough cycle speed so getting it feeding is the only thing you really have to do. Other guns would need heavy modifications and wouldn't end up being very close to their original semi form.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » ICD