mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   ICD (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/icd/)
-   -   ICD Cat Mainspring Substitute? (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/icd/22625-icd-cat-mainspring-substitute.html)

Quacker 09-17-2007 12:10 AM

ICD Cat Mainspring Substitute?

I bought an Alley Cat off eBay for a very good price, and after a little tuning it works perfectly. Only thing is, the main spring is light green, and that usually indicates a softer spring. It won't chrono above 230. It still kicks butt, but I'd like to be able to chrono up to 265. I can get a tune up kit on eBay for 10 bucks, but I already have spare seals, and I don't want to spend that much for a mainspring. Anyone know where I can pick one up? I think I heard once that M98 springs are the same, but can anyone verify?

russc 09-17-2007 04:32 AM

I don't have any suggestions for a replacement, but try stretching it a little for a temporary solution.

Azzy 09-17-2007 09:11 AM

Have you followed the tuning instructions from ICD for the re-cock and velocity jets? Recock to high can drop your velocity, and beat your gun to a premature death.

Quacker 09-17-2007 10:12 AM

My 2nd gun was a Puma, so I definitely got this cat purring right. Recock isn't even out 1 full turn, and velocity is out 3 turns. The mainspring adjuster is screwed all the way in, and I'm only getting 230's...consistent 230's, I might add. I'll try stretching the spring a little, and maybe I'll look into some shims, if I can find something the right size to shim it with.

Azzy 09-17-2007 10:24 AM

IIRC they were similar in size to 68 special (prolite?) springs. Have you tried calling ICD?

Quacker 09-17-2007 10:36 AM

Nope. I went to their website, and their product list only went back to BKO. Do they still support these? Maybe I'll try finagling main spring from them this afternoon.

Eress Pnter 09-17-2007 10:40 AM

Call them, it's amazing what is often laying around.

quay 09-17-2007 02:45 PM

You can get a Alley/Thunder cat rebuild kit off ebay for a few bucks. The one I got was made by 32 degrees. I got one to replace the rubber bumper on my 'cat. It comes with a main spring.

It also comes with that little thumb cocking screw, which is something you'll probably want a back up of, as they are forever coming lose.

HurtCow 09-17-2007 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quacker (Post 212472)
Nope. I went to their website, and their product list only went back to BKO. Do they still support these? Maybe I'll try finagling main spring from them this afternoon.

Yeah they have most of the parts from the older guns. There's a lady working there that knows all the old parts.

Quacker 09-17-2007 04:25 PM

Yeah, ICD does have mainsprings. I just got off the phone with them. They're only 2 bucks, but they wanted 7 bucks for shipping. Since a rebuild kit off eBay is about 10 bucks shipped, I declined. I just stretched the spring a little with a couple of pliers, and my eye chrono tells me it's shooting faster. We'll see what the radarchron says on Saturday. Here's hoping...

Thanks for the help