mcarterbrown.com  

Old 03-04-2013, 07:50 AM   #1 (permalink)
Supernatural Anaesthetist

Send a message via AIM to Wycke

odd threading of vertical asa?

I picked up two Thundercats recently and would like to install a PPS stabilizer on one of them. However, the stab (which threads into every other asa I have) won't go more than about two turns into the vertical asa on either gun. It'll thread into the rear asa on either one, as well. I checked a few of my CO2 and HPA tanks and some of them stick at the same point as the stab, while a few will actually thread in (but with more effort than should be required). Is this "normal" or have others noticed this problem also? I imagine if I wanted, I could get an appropriately-sized tap, I could run it in to clean up the threads.

s'ok...I'm takin' it back...

My Feedback Thread
Wycke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:25 AM   #2 (permalink)
MCB Member

Fan of EMR
This happens quite often with older guns. The asa standard just wasn't as standardized as it is today. Your best bet is to try other regs or (if you can find them) asa's until you find a good fit.
lexiones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
Post Whore

you could try and chase the vert with a ASA tap and see if you can straighten out the threads.

Brand New Furious Harnesses for ICD electros
Best place for all things ICD
MCB_feedback
AO_feedback
Nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to blackrain

Call ICD. Maybe they can help and probably still have parts in stock. Yes they still handle paintball items.

Later,
Blackrain
blackrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 12:48 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lord of Bones

Same thing happened to me a while back.
Myrkul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:15 AM   #6 (permalink)

AKA Fan
Ya, it's not uncommon but I hve to ask... Why do you want to run a reg on a Thundercat? There's really no need to.
It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat. - Theodore Roosevelt

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Millar156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:52 AM   #7 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

I had that happen with one of the old VTS adapters from Skanline for a VM-68. I took me a while to find a tank that fit it okay. I think the person I sold it to ended up having someone chase the threads and then it was fine.

E
Schmitti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:00 AM   #8 (permalink)
MCB Member

Before you buy a tap, check the seal areas of the ASA and the stab. The diameter of the stab near the o-ring may be larger (by any amount) than the matching area in the ASA.

I found that situation on an old 12g changer (BE?) and a Spyder ASA that seemed to work on everything else. I turned a couple thousandths of an inch off of the changer and everything was agreeable. It's "tolerance stacking", as they say.

The problem may be the threads, but if it goes in OK up to a point, I would check those diameters.

Of course, having been three months ago, it may all be worked out by now. In which case, where are the pics of this regulated 'cat?

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » ICD