mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   ICD (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/icd/)
-   -   Desert Fox barrel breaks (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/icd/229043-desert-fox-barrel-breaks.html)

Millar156 03-17-2013 08:22 PM

Desert Fox barrel breaks

So, I'm getting a lot of barrel breaks with my Fox. No paint in the breach or on the bolt. Just breaking in the barrel. Same paint was shooting fine out of my T8.1 and Ego. The Fox was chrono'd at ~250fps for the local indoor field. Any ideas?

lexiones 03-17-2013 11:04 PM

What kind of barrel?

Nobody 03-17-2013 11:18 PM

if it happens with every ball, it is the barrel. if it happens occasionally, then its the paint.

Millar156 03-18-2013 01:43 PM

DYE one peice aluminum barrel. Shooting Valken Grafitti.

It wasn't breaking every shot, probably every 1 out of 5. Paint shot fine in my other guns.

Robertsr 03-18-2013 02:32 PM

My fox barrel used to come unscrewed a bit while shooting. It would cause exactly what you're describing.

I put some thread tape on the barrel threads, and that really seemed to help.

Nobody 03-18-2013 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Millar156 (Post 2657727)
DYE one peice aluminum barrel. Shooting Valken Grafitti.

It wasn't breaking every shot, probably every 1 out of 5. Paint shot fine in my other guns.

check the bore of the barrel, is it clean? how is the detent? how is the bore of the gun, anything in there that can effect the paint?

how is the oring on the barrel?

Millar156 03-18-2013 03:19 PM

No o-ring on the barrel. None of my ICD mechs have an o-ring. I already use teflon tape on the barrel threads cause that's a common problem. The bore is clean and free or scratches/defects. It is new old stock. Detent is working fine, doesn't seem to be too stiff.

I did notice that the bolt in the Fox screws in two and it was a bit loose. I'll tape that up and try again. I have a few other barrels to try as well.

lexiones 03-19-2013 03:26 AM

Check your detent for paint residue. I had a similar problem with my cat recently. if the detent cannot readily move it will create a dimple on the paint and it will wobble down the barrel.

Millar156 03-20-2013 08:13 PM

Ok, so I switched barrels and shot a hopper through it with only one barrel break.

BUT, toward the end of the hopper it just stopped shooting altogether. Pull the trigger and nothing happens. I looked in the breach and a ball was sort of pinched between the bolt and the powerfeed. It didn't break the ball it just stuck. Degassed it, put the tank back on and it shot fine after that.

I think I may have a Gremlin. Perhaps an offering to Velcor is in order?

Nobody 03-20-2013 10:16 PM

i'm thinking that is you've been pinching balls and when you shoot, they are breaking. check the regs, to make sure that they are clean and lubed. that's all i can think of.