mcarterbrown.com  

Old 03-17-2013, 08:22 PM   #1 (permalink)

AKA Fan
Desert Fox barrel breaks

So, I'm getting a lot of barrel breaks with my Fox. No paint in the breach or on the bolt. Just breaking in the barrel. Same paint was shooting fine out of my T8.1 and Ego. The Fox was chrono'd at ~250fps for the local indoor field. Any ideas?
It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat. - Theodore Roosevelt

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Millar156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Post Whore

Fan of EMR
What kind of barrel?
lexiones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Post Whore

if it happens with every ball, it is the barrel. if it happens occasionally, then its the paint.

Brand New Furious Harnesses for ICD electros
Best place for all things ICD
MCB_feedback
AO_feedback
Nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:43 PM   #4 (permalink)

AKA Fan
DYE one peice aluminum barrel. Shooting Valken Grafitti.

It wasn't breaking every shot, probably every 1 out of 5. Paint shot fine in my other guns.
It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat. - Theodore Roosevelt

Old 03-18-2013, 02:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
King of the OFG

Send a message via MSN to Robertsr

Kilt Fan
My fox barrel used to come unscrewed a bit while shooting. It would cause exactly what you're describing.

I put some thread tape on the barrel threads, and that really seemed to help.

FEEDBACK
Robertsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millar156 View Post
DYE one peice aluminum barrel. Shooting Valken Grafitti.

It wasn't breaking every shot, probably every 1 out of 5. Paint shot fine in my other guns.
check the bore of the barrel, is it clean? how is the detent? how is the bore of the gun, anything in there that can effect the paint?

how is the oring on the barrel?

MCB_feedback
AO_feedback
Old 03-18-2013, 03:19 PM   #7 (permalink)

AKA Fan
No o-ring on the barrel. None of my ICD mechs have an o-ring. I already use teflon tape on the barrel threads cause that's a common problem. The bore is clean and free or scratches/defects. It is new old stock. Detent is working fine, doesn't seem to be too stiff.

I did notice that the bolt in the Fox screws in two and it was a bit loose. I'll tape that up and try again. I have a few other barrels to try as well.

Old 03-19-2013, 03:26 AM   #8 (permalink)
Post Whore

Fan of EMR
Check your detent for paint residue. I had a similar problem with my cat recently. if the detent cannot readily move it will create a dimple on the paint and it will wobble down the barrel.
lexiones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:13 PM   #9 (permalink)

AKA Fan
Ok, so I switched barrels and shot a hopper through it with only one barrel break.

BUT, toward the end of the hopper it just stopped shooting altogether. Pull the trigger and nothing happens. I looked in the breach and a ball was sort of pinched between the bolt and the powerfeed. It didn't break the ball it just stuck. Degassed it, put the tank back on and it shot fine after that.

I think I may have a Gremlin. Perhaps an offering to Velcor is in order?

Old 03-20-2013, 10:16 PM   #10 (permalink)
Post Whore

i'm thinking that is you've been pinching balls and when you shoot, they are breaking. check the regs, to make sure that they are clean and lubed. that's all i can think of.

MCB_feedback
AO_feedback

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » ICD