mcarterbrown.com  

Old 07-04-2013, 01:36 AM   #11 (permalink)

Hmmm...the plot thickens. Promasters usually should get fairly good efficiency. I know I can get around 1600-1700 shots per 68/4500 on mine.

Do you still have an HPR gauge on it? What is it set at when you go play? A good pressure is about 230psi.

Also, if you don't have an LPR gauge, I think the best way to set the LPR pressure correctly is to turn up the LPR until you hear a slight leak in the grip frame, (that would be the solenoid bleeding off since it's getting 140-150psi at that point) then turn it down one half revolution. I've found that puts me in the 90psi ballpark, which is exactly what the manual suggests.

Oh, the trick I mentioned above is assuming you have the stock LPR on it. With aftermarket LPRs, I can't verify that technique will work.
krupasjeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:05 AM   #12 (permalink)
Post Whore

you can use Krupasjean's method or try this.

1. zero out the regs
2. increase HPR pressure to the recommended set pressure(either off the gauge on the gun, or if you have a reg tester)
3. increase LPR till the bolt moves back
4. shoot gun
5. increase LPR another turn, till you don't get drop off

this will give you the minimum pressures for the gun.

also, what board do you have in the gun? if you don't know a pic or a description(including the colour of the board) will help with getting the right settings if you don't already have them.

i am thinking that the dwell might be set way too high, in addition to the gun's working pressures are off as well.

Brand New Furious Harnesses for ICD electros
Best place for all things ICD
MCB_feedback
AO_feedback
Nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:34 AM   #13 (permalink)
Am I old school yet?

Send a message via AIM to nerobro Send a message via Yahoo to nerobro Send a message via Skype™ to nerobro

Well I tried stiffening up the detents. They're firm enough to hold the bolt back (but only barely.) And I still get balls blowing up in the breach.

I have done most of my testing without the barrel, so I can determine where the paint breaks.

I have the stock promaster board in the gun. http://www.icdproducts.com/paintball...sterManual.pdf That manual is correct for my board.

My HPR is set to 230psi (per the guage on the gun, but as we know, those are iffy sometimes)

I"m going to try the setup method you've described, we'll see if it's a LPR issue, and I'm cracking balls in the stack.

Edit: Oh yes, the hammer is fully screwed on, and the bolt does clear the breach.

Last edited by nerobro; 07-07-2013 at 12:44 AM.
nerobro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:20 AM   #14 (permalink)
Post Whore

interesting...

so, the eyes are working, the detents are clean and solid, there are no parts that are loose. this is interesting.

visually inspect the feed neck, i.e. run your finger in the feedneck and the breech to see if there is something there. i have had feedneck that could screw into the breech, resulting in chops and broken paint.

if its not the barrel, not the hopper, not the detents, not the eyes, then its a mystery. the only thing left in the process of elimination is the paint, unless its something like the HPR spiking wildly on the gun. so with that, if you can, take off the HPR and try something from another gun.

its best to see if the HPR or LPR are spiking when using a chrono. you shoot once(after everything is clean) see where the velocity is, then shoot again. you would have some variation, but huge spikes and swings are what you are looking for.

MCB_feedback
AO_feedback
Old 07-07-2013, 02:52 PM   #15 (permalink)
Am I old school yet?

Send a message via AIM to nerobro Send a message via Yahoo to nerobro Send a message via Skype™ to nerobro

First off, thank you for your help.

Funny you should mention that. I discovered a few more things last night. Say.. 1:100 balls I was testing with was cracked. (poor handling on my part, of evil paint that's a year old... )

So I retuned the LPR. By cranking it up till it leaked then turning it back 1/2 turn. It seems my lpr was set a LITTLe bit high.

Moving on, when I gassed the gun up today, the HPR read 400psi, that cleared after two shots. But I have a slow creep. And it recovers pressure SLOW. If I get into rapid fire, the gun stops cycling! (mmmm hints of impulse anyone?)

So It appears I have a shot reg seal in the HPR.

While I was slow shooting, the reg failed entirely, and I watched the pressure climb straight up to the set pressure of my tank. ... seeing 850psi go into the promaster didn't make me feel very good.

SO! Looks like it's a HPR problem. Now.. vanity says I need to find another blue regulator. My birthday is in two weeks... maybe I'll ask for a stabilizer. Or throw on one of my maxflow inlines.
Old 07-07-2013, 03:14 PM   #16 (permalink)
Doesn't work for Avratech

Hey holy ****, it's Nerobro!!!
ApoC_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:47 PM   #17 (permalink)
Post Whore

there are many things about the gun, but only certain ones that effect certain items.

i have reg seats. you before getting a new one, you can flip it, just make sure that you seal it, as it may have creep after flipping. after flipping it, i would go through the reg(i also have orings- i am the one stop shop for ICD electros ) make sure the orings are good and that you clean off any old lube(use rubbing alcohol to clean it) and use a light oil or superlube.

the stock HPRs leave a lot to be desired. they do work, but lack compared to every aftermarket. CPs generally look good and match but they are hit or miss, with me.

MCB_feedback
AO_feedback
Old 07-08-2013, 03:05 AM   #18 (permalink)
Am I old school yet?

WTF, there's an ICD owners group?

I think the last time I stripped that reg, I lubed it with dow33. I'll strip it again, and give the reg seat a flip.

Though, it sounds like "anything is better" reg wise...
Old 07-08-2013, 10:27 AM   #19 (permalink)
Post Whore

don't use dow. it swells orings. on shockers it needs them to swell since the tolerances are horrible. in most other stuff, its unneeded.

if you look at my links, in my sig line, you'll see "best place for all things ICD". click on that. most of the people that are here and on PBN live there. the other places we just visit.

yes, the LPRs on ICD guns are not bad, some are the equal to aftermarket. the HPR leaves a lot to be desired. i replace every stock HPR, not because its cool and i like Sidewinders, but it eliminates the biggest problem with ICd guns.

MCB_feedback
AO_feedback
Old 07-09-2013, 12:51 AM   #20 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Dow 33 is fine for HPRs and LPRs. Dow 55 is the one that swells orings. As I recall, that is the one you use on older timmies.
We have nothing to fear but fear itself. Apart from pain. And maybe humiliation and obviously death. And failure. But apart from fear, pain and humiliation, failure and the unknown and death we have nothing to fear but fear itself. Who’s with me?

-Arnold J. Rimmer
maloneoni is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » ICD