mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   ICD (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/icd/)
-   -   Modded Fox (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/icd/24878-modded-fox.html)

ironnerd88 10-25-2007 05:50 PM

Modded Fox

Hey,
I modded my Fox a while back by removing the internals from the integral regulator and strapping on a Palmer Stabilizer. Now the "marker" functions GREAT! However, she's a bit of a gas hog. Does anyone have a fix for this? I have considered looking around for a some "Classic" Fox internals to install the checkball.

Lemme know if you guys have any other ideas.

HurtCow 10-25-2007 06:39 PM

A few of us have done this, and now love our Foxes. You might try reducing the chamber volume by screwing the (sealed) velocity screw in as far as it will go, and then increasing the reg pressure.

Cunha 10-25-2007 06:44 PM

Gas hog seems to be inherent to the design of blow forwards. Dont know why.

ironnerd88 10-26-2007 06:23 AM

I did some investigating and found that a Nelson Valve spring will fit in the space formerly occupied by the regulator piston. Still pondering that.

I am glad to hear that mine is not the only Gas Hog out there. Other than it's hunger for Nitorgen (hooray for all-day-air), my only complaints are weight and the lack of barrels. But I do LOVE my Fox! Ya'll will NOT be seeing it on E-bay :)

HurtCow 10-26-2007 03:51 PM

What would a spring do in there?

I've found ICD threaded barrels on ebay periodically. I have a Dye Ultralight and a brass BOA barrel.

I shoot a Vector and Rainmaker periodically, they make the Fox seem anorexic, both weight and appetite wise.

Schmitti 10-26-2007 03:58 PM

Throw a 00 bb (or two) in there... that should reduce the volume and still allow for gas to move through.. seriously, a large bb would do the trick so long as it is smaller than the regs inner diameter... beats trying to find correctly sized washers and stacking them.

It's an idea to try at least.

E

HurtCow 10-26-2007 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schmitti (Post 236034)
Throw a 00 bb (or two) in there... that should reduce the volume and still allow for gas to move through.. seriously, a large bb would do the trick so long as it is smaller than the regs inner diameter...

Plus you can shake your gun to distract your opponents....'There's a rattlesnake somewhere around here!' :D

ironnerd88 10-26-2007 11:15 PM

#00 bb? cool. I may actually give that a shot. Blagh--- bad pun, sorry.

The main issue is that there is nothing to stop the gas flow when the bolt moves forward. On the Classic Foxes there was a check-ball that seated and stopped air flow when the bolt moved ahead. On Mags there is a needle valve thing attached to the trigger mech.

I was thinking of getting the bits from the Classic Fox if they are available. If not, it's brain stromin' time. I bet one of those hamster watering things could work...You know the one with the ball in the end... (that clattering you hear is my brain working).

By the way, I have an Empire 2-piece kit (the last ones to my knowledge making 2-piece barrels in ICD thread). If anyone knows where I can pick up a shorter front lemme know. Mine is really too long my liking.

Thanks!

ironnerd88 11-02-2007 08:33 PM

OK, so I did something kinda weird today. I got a new Cocker and was seeing how many cycles I could get out of a 12 gram. Answer - 30. Then I thought I would load it up with some Wal-Mart paint (non-Chinese lead free). I got about 28 useful shots. From my old Reb Pump, I got 20. So then I grabbed my Fox (the gas hog) and tried it. Guess what, 25 shots, and it's just as accurate as the cocker... and MORE accurate than my pump (inside, I am crying) ... Just for kicks, I grabbed my Spyder TL loaner gun. 25 shots and louder than the Fox (and it has an after market barrel).

To recap:
Nelson Pump: 20 shots - Loudest
Autococker: 28 shots - Quietest
Fox: 25 shots - 2nd quietest*
Spyder: 25 shots - 2nd loudest

*With the Empire barrel, the Fox was the quietest.

Interestingly, the Fox had pretty good recoil. A bit less than the Spyder and more than the Cocker. But the recoil happened at different times in the sequence for the Fox and Cocker. The Fox recoils like an M-16 (has the same trigger feel as well); when the trigger comes aft, the muzzle lifts slightly. The cocker's motions seem dampened, and a bit delayed (which makes sence).

Also, the cheap balls I was using were under .681 (the smallest barrel back I have), so the Cocker and the Nelson both drooled a bit. The Nelson also tended to double feed. The Fox and Spyder, being open bolts, were much more tolerant of tiny paint.

Kind of a fun experiment. I'll do it again once I get them all chronied to about the same speed, and have more paint.

ironnerd88 11-04-2007 08:45 PM

OK,
So I played today with both the Fox and the Cocker. To keep things fair, I used the stock barrel on both guns.
1: The Fox did not drool paint but the Cocker did.
2: Accuracy was the same.
3: Fox chopped no balls - Cocker chopped 1 (yes... it was my fault)
4: I could get the cocker up to 5 bps and the Fox to 8 bps (both per chrony). I actually tested the bps on the Cocker first and wanted to see what I could get out of it. I thought it was wicked fast when I started using it and was kind of shocked to see 5bps. So I tried a few more times, but never got past 5. For Kicks, I grabbed my Fox and got 7bps out of the gate. Keeping my hand on the grip, I gave it another go and got 8bps. Not bad for an old guy with an old gun.

Still, for $65 a 'cocker is a nice gun.

Maybe it's time to put this on a different thread.