-   ICD (
-   -   difference in alley cat, bobcat, puma, and desert fox (

scottieb 01-11-2007 11:38 AM

difference in alley cat, bobcat, puma, and desert fox
what is the difference in these guns? the desert fox tops the list, i know. is it similiar to a mag in its operation? i assume the alley cat is the entry level marker in this list, so where do the bobcat and puma fit in?

DarkStar 01-11-2007 01:07 PM

Desert Fox is a blow foward similar to Automag.

The 'Cats are all blow backs, only differing in air input locations and cosmetics. (Course I've only had an alley cat.. so here's the disclaimer: IIRC)

foldadoom 01-11-2007 01:43 PM

I had a puma and some mates had alley cats with the puma ypu could change the angle of the air in let at the front, but apart form that I could see very little differnce.

HurtCow 01-11-2007 03:47 PM

Later Desert Foxes have no on/off valve. They function kind of like a spool valve with a tapered shaft in the bolt that allows the gas to flow to the ball when the bolt is in the forward position. Hard to explain but a simple concept.

Wycke 01-11-2007 09:27 PM

The Fox has been covered, so I'll leave that one. As for the others, the most noticeable diff. is in the ASA positions. Mechanically, they all ('cept the Fox) work the same, but they're actually built a bit differently. The Puma and Bobcat (and their elder brother the Panther VTS) are built on a 2-part reciever. To cut production costs, the Thundercat (also marketed as the Alley Cat by NPS) was designed with a 1-piece reciever. One's really no better or worse than the other, the later Cats just cost less to build, so they sold them for less. Any way you cut it, they're all very well built, solid, very tunable markers.

joe bag o donuts 01-11-2007 10:36 PM

Like it's been said it's mainly cosmetics and ASA positions. Didn't know that the Fox was blow foreward. Check out this ad which shows all the models.

SEFishy 01-12-2007 01:00 PM

the picture shows a classic fox. 98' fox's had a slight chaing in style with the 45 frame added. also classic foxes had a ball bearing valve which was upgraded to a poppet style valve by sending the marker into icd.

the fox is VERY simple in design. the body is 2 parts. the main body houses the spring and bolt and thats all the inerds. the rear part is the regulator

like everyone else said the cats are nearly the same. the alley cat though unlike the other cats could only put the tank vtl with the gun. others the front adapter would rotate to allow the tank to go along the barrel

scottieb 01-12-2007 01:27 PM

excellent info fellas. thank you very much.