mcarterbrown.com  

Old 05-01-2010, 10:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Legendary

Bunch of malfunctioning Spyders

Hi there,
I fix the guns at the local field, mostly Tippmann 98s. There are also a large pile of old Spyders we have to use for large groups when we use up all the 98s. Many of the Spyders have been deemed 'broken' or at the least malfunctioning. I poked around at a few threads on this forum already and saw this one:

Spyder - choking

Basically I've got similar behavior on most of the broken Spyders. They won't recock, but if I cover my hand over the front it does. I didn't think to test them with paint because I, too, assumed they were broken somehow. It drove me crazy as I literally worked on one gun for over an hour. I replaced the hammer, valve, and every o-ring. I found a spare grip frame that was broken at the bottom of the grip but still had all the internals and tested it on the gun. It worked perfectly. "Aha," I thought to myself, "must be the sear!"

I swapped the sear out, and you all know how much that process sucks. Still didn't work, so I had to do something else before I mentally snapped from frustration.

I am the kind of person who needs to know why something is malfunctioning. Can anyone explain what causes this? I tried to reason everything out. I clipped the hammer spring. I'd have swapped in a stiffer return spring (sorry, don't know the technical term) if I could. I made sure the valve was clean and, of course, facing the right direction. Yes, one Spyder had a valve in backwards, but that's another story.
Old 05-01-2010, 11:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
I'm Comin' To Getcha!

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Not sure if it's having the same problem as alot of the Spyder SE's have,but,there may be no cheap fix for this problem.Most of the SE's I've seen have had this issue due to the area inside the body where the hammer seals against being too worn down hat it no longer seals.You can repace the hamer seal 100 times and still wont work because it's too worn.Only cure I found for this problem is to get a delrin/ss hammer from Alamo City PB as it eliminates the need for the odd sized o-ring on the hammer...not a guarranteed fix,but,works for most of them.
LPPC Member #71

Feedback

Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 11:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
No longer a RAP4 dealer

Send a message via AIM to Rap4paintball

Fan of EMR
Chaos is right, I have a few spiders that have had this problem. I've drilled out the valve bodies to get more blow back to the hammer. They use more air that way but they work. It wont take much, the next size drill up if you have a good drill bit set. Best done in a lathe, but a drill press and a vise with a "v" cut into it to hold round pieces will also work. Just don't mar the sides of the valve, it might have problems sealing if you do. Make sure you clean out all chips before re-assembly.

My Feedback
Rap4paintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 11:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
BLOODwaSHED

Might not be getting the right amount of blowback.
Simple fix for that is
to remove the cupseal and shaft, you will notice that the shaft
has a flat on one side.. This is how the hammer gets air to blowback.....
Simple fix is to file a flat opposite of the original... This will give you
twice the blow back
and if that is still not enough blowback, there should be a hole in the body of the gun under the trigger assembly leading to the stryker....
That is an exhaust port...(plug it!) that will give the most blowback possible. Sorry if that doesn't help it's all i can do withuot looking at it.
bloodwashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 12:20 AM   #5 (permalink)
Legendary

This is a lot of great information! Thanks, people. I will poke around with these possible solutions tomorrow.
Old 05-02-2010, 05:52 AM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

has any of you ever tried just simply buying a spring kit? especially when rental guns probably have very old and worn out springs.
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 10:13 AM   #7 (permalink)
I'm Comin' To Getcha!

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Doesn't help in some cases.....Ask Boston Paintball how many of the SE's they couldn't fix due to the hammer seal issue I described above,That's how I found out about it.I had one that I was scratching my head trying figure it out,I tried replacing everything and it still wouldn't work (granted the Alamo City replacements weren't avalible then)...I ended up trading it off.
LPPC Member #71

Feedback

Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 10:48 AM   #8 (permalink)
Party like its 2005!

Send a message via AIM to DFSniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonesjackson View Post
Hi there,
I fix the guns at the local field, mostly Tippmann 98s. There are also a large pile of old Spyders we have to use for large groups when we use up all the 98s. Many of the Spyders have been deemed 'broken' or at the least malfunctioning. I poked around at a few threads on this forum already and saw this one:

Spyder - choking

Basically I've got similar behavior on most of the broken Spyders. They won't recock, but if I cover my hand over the front it does. I didn't think to test them with paint because I, too, assumed they were broken somehow. It drove me crazy as I literally worked on one gun for over an hour. I replaced the hammer, valve, and every o-ring. I found a spare grip frame that was broken at the bottom of the grip but still had all the internals and tested it on the gun. It worked perfectly. "Aha," I thought to myself, "must be the sear!"

I swapped the sear out, and you all know how much that process sucks. Still didn't work, so I had to do something else before I mentally snapped from frustration.

I am the kind of person who needs to know why something is malfunctioning. Can anyone explain what causes this? I tried to reason everything out. I clipped the hammer spring. I'd have swapped in a stiffer return spring (sorry, don't know the technical term) if I could. I made sure the valve was clean and, of course, facing the right direction. Yes, one Spyder had a valve in backwards, but that's another story.
not sure. but it has to do with not enough back pressure when dry firing. if it works with your hand over the front, itll work with paint in the tube.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heinous View Post
you win at everything forever.
(11:26:32 PM) Mayvik: PS where the **** have you been?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunRaptor View Post
I love how we are more concerned with the fate of this paintball gun than we are about AIDS kids in Africa.............
DFSniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 02:33 AM   #9 (permalink)

If you want a really cheap fix, I have taken dental floss and given the hammer a few wraps in that grove. It basically makes it like a little fatter o-ring, tighter seal. I know it sounds crappy but it worked for a friends gun and it's still kickin a year+ later.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:29 AM   #10 (permalink)
Rec Poster

I have a new name for "abulldog" - "McGyver the Dentist." Neat idea, I would never have thought of that. Dental is a pretty strong item. After a year wow, durable too.
Solocrosser357 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Kingman