mcarterbrown.com  

Old 06-25-2012, 03:31 AM   #1 (permalink)
I used to paintball...?

AKA Fan
Palmers Fan
Who has added a detente to their Hammer?

Anyone? I'd love to stop double feeds. My two thoughts were:

1) Use a PPS wire/ball detente, which would only require adding a hole to the side of the body. The downside is the pump arms would probably be pulling at it constantly.

2) Rig a SS-25 style wire detente... somehow. Not sure how to mount it so that it wouldn't interfere with the pump arms; maybe at the 10-o'clock position looking at it from the back (next to the feedneck, above the arm, attached to the sight rail...?)?

Anyone attempted either or something else?
matteekay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 03:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
MCB Member

You may be able to do something similar to the Trracer/Maverick design. There is a spring in the bottom held in place by the frame to help with double feeds. A Tippmann style detent may be possible too and that would require minimal work to install, just a small slot in the right place as long as its not in the way of the trigger/sear.

I just got a pile of Palmer detents, I will look at my friends Hammer tomorrow and see if it can be done, you may need to drill the hole at the top of the body instead of the side. Another option is a Spyder style detent, a small hole drilled right into the breech area that is wider below should work too.
Finished before you can commit a crime

Last edited by DarkNinja; 06-25-2012 at 04:03 AM.
DarkNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 05:58 AM   #3 (permalink)
Pronounced Hooper

The hammer I use came with a drop of nail polish just inside the barrel. That seemed to work, but I've since added a freak kit and using a tight bore I don't usually have issues.

I like the few threads I've seen lately relating to hammers; some awesome mods i need to try out. IMHO, for the money, you can't get a better pump and they work great.
I can see it now, a mini van full of priests going 80mph through a suburb blasting metallica....

Feedback 2012 Sale WTB Thread
HOEPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 06:42 AM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

I built one up from parts a few years back for a friend, I got boxes of parts and assembled one for him. After swapping parts around for a while I came up with a winner. I tossed a Freak barrel on it and a bottom line and it was +-3 over the chrono and pointed and shot perfectly. He loves the damn thing! I recently sold him the rest of my parts, enough to build 2 more and rebuild one for an eternity. Hes going to keep that thing running forever, its his favorite marker.

I would put it on about the same level as a Trracer but with a much better barrel selection. If you get one of the metal trigger frames and put a 45 block on it you are set.
Finished before you can commit a crime
DarkNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:18 AM   #5 (permalink)
ur my sister

could drill up from the bottom for a spyder rubber style detent. the frame would hold it in place and would only need two holes drilled. a cocker style could also be done by drilling one hole and using the ball bareing and spring from the underside of the body. my brother was having problems with double feeds and i told him to just pump faster. it have been several years since he played.

MY FEEDBACK
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html

CCM Works Sniper, Thumper, Kingman Hammer Low Pressure with Vertical ASA, TPX, Ion mech/closed bolt
joedirt199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
I used to paintball...?

AKA Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkNinja View Post
I just got a pile of Palmer detents, I will look at my friends Hammer tomorrow and see if it can be done, you may need to drill the hole at the top of the body instead of the side. Another option is a Spyder style detent, a small hole drilled right into the breech area that is wider below should work too.
Take a look at those PPS ones if you'd be so kind. I'd just order one except it'd wind up being like $13 after shipping, lol. Might give the Tippmann one a shot (I have spares).

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOEPER View Post
The hammer I use came with a drop of nail polish just inside the barrel. That seemed to work, but I've since added a freak kit and using a tight bore I don't usually have issues.
My Freak kit is great for stopping rollouts but it's still pretty easy to feed two balls.

I agree, these are great little guns. I'm actually jettisoning an Empire Trracer in favor of my Hammer.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member

AKA Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by joedirt199 View Post
could drill up from the bottom for a spyder rubber style detent. the frame would hold it in place and would only need two holes drilled. a cocker style could also be done by drilling one hole and using the ball bareing and spring from the underside of the body. my brother was having problems with double feeds and i told him to just pump faster. it have been several years since he played.
I did it this way.

Jaccen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to Fubarius Send a message via Yahoo to Fubarius

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by joedirt199 View Post
could drill up from the bottom for a spyder rubber style detent. the frame would hold it in place and would only need two holes drilled.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaccen View Post
I did it this way.
I did this as well. Shallow hole the size of the base so the detent, through hole the size of the tip of the detent, the use a small round file or small Dremel bit to make the through hole more of a short groove so that the finger of the detent can fall into it when the bolt closes.

I accidentially drilled the first shallow hole too deep, so the finger sticks too far into the breech. A few games and the detent tends to trim its self to the proper length.

Nunquam emere potes facere
Fubarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
I used to paintball...?

AKA Fan
Palmers Fan
That's probably what I'll do. I also have a dastardly idea for a Tippy detente in an odd spot...
Old 06-26-2012, 01:03 AM   #10 (permalink)
I used to paintball...?

AKA Fan
Palmers Fan
So after a little research it looks like my wacky idea would be possible, though I'm not sure it would be easier or better than doing a Spyder detente up through the bottom...

My thought is: drill a hole in the side of the body just in front of where the ball sits. Then, drill one through the pump arm and channel it slightly - the holes would line up when the pump was far enough back for the bolt to clear the feedneck. Somehow (and this is the part I haven't solved yet) affix a Tippmann detente to the arm so that its "finger" is poking through, pointing toward the back of the gun. Pump back, the holes align, and the finger goes into the body of the marker right in front of the ball. Pump forward, the finger collapses (pointing backwards means it would naturally want to collapse on the forward motion), and the bolt seals off the breech. Crazy? Or crazy enough to work? It would be easier if these came with metal pump arms...

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Kingman