mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   Kingman (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/kingman/)
-   -   Good barrels for Spyders/clones? (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/kingman/2167-good-barrels-spyders-clones.html)

PJ 08-04-2006 10:20 PM

Good barrels for Spyders/clones?

I believe that the stock barrel on the JT Protium I just picked up is a piece of junk. Looks nice, but not any good (just a hunch). What barrels are good? Dyes are typically good, as are J&J's, or should I just get a Freak back and be doen with it? Thanks!

Be4life182 08-04-2006 10:24 PM

Well for the money, depending on your price range(from cheapest to most expensive) JJ ceramic, 32* Nightstykk, and lapco bigshot. Ive used these on my spyder clone, and there defiantly the best for the price range. The ceramic and nightstykk are about 20$ish im guessing, where as a new bigshot is 50$, however, very much worth it.

Brewtt 08-05-2006 01:18 AM

Lapco one-piece barrels. Hands down.

Perform as good or better than barrels that cost twice as much.

3022 08-05-2006 06:53 AM

Imho stock barrels from Spyders are not bad. People who say that they suck do not know where is the problem. They need only be polished/honned and they need really big paint.

With common small-sitze paint, every good .689" barrel will be better than .692" stock Spyder barrels. There are not substantial differences in accuracy. I have 12" Smartparts Teardrop, 16" J&J Ceramic, old 12" Smartparts Ventury and some 9" and 10" .689" stock barrels from Spyder-thereated pumps (Hammer, Sterling Bronze). My Pal has 14" J&J Ceramic. They are are all comparable and they all shoot darts with round paint. Longer of them with porting are only quieter.

PJ 08-05-2006 08:13 AM

I'm sure that with some work the JT barrel could be good (assuming that it's the problem), but I'm just checking my alternatives for right now. Anyone know the bore diameter of a JT Protium barrel offhand? I know it's bigger than the Marbs I have on hand. The newer ones I bought earlier this month fell completely through it, with a decent amount of daylight between the ball and the barrel walls. I'm guessing maybe around 0.693 barrel ID?

abacus 08-07-2006 01:37 PM

i have very good results with the sanchez machine sm-3 barrel kit. also they are on sale right now at sanchez machine for $100 or something like that. check thier closeout section

Surge-NS 08-07-2006 03:45 PM

Freak it, then when you get another gun you only have to buy another back and you can still use all of your accessories. On top if that it's a fine barrel that puts the balls where you want them with the proper fitting.

PJ 08-07-2006 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Surge-NS
Freak it, then when you get another gun you only have to buy another back and you can still use all of your accessories. On top if that it's a fine barrel that puts the balls where you want them with the proper fitting.

I've been looking for a cheap Freak back for it, I've already got an aluminum set of inserts for my Phantom. I had hoped to see aobut getting the spacegun barrel on the Protium bored for the inserts, but I really don't think there's enough meat on it to do that. I also just won a red 32* Whisper barrel on eBay to go with the dust silver and blue anno on the gun. Red, white and blue, baby!

DCB 08-08-2006 10:30 AM

If you have inserts get a Freak back and be done with it. Great barrel.

Peace

3022 08-13-2006 06:48 AM

I do not like Freak. To expensive, to complycated. Silly, weak, tiny inserts. To many places for dirt or inaccuracies. Imho is a lot better to have two or three good inepiece barrels with different internal diametres, or something like Empire barrel kit with full-sized barrel backs.

But If you can choose your own paint (FPO limits), there is no need of these toys. Simply get one good barrel with medium bore diameter and good paint for it.