mcarterbrown.com  

Old 12-18-2012, 03:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

Hammer 7 pump action

So I have a Hammer on the way and it is my first real adventure into pumps. I have been reading up and like i kinda figured since its a relatively inexpensive gun that they pump action is not all that smooth.

I am just looking for what other people have done already or can suggest I try. Willing to try multiple paths to try and get as close to butter smooth as possible.
Juoshwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Radical!

Try different spring strengths, that's all you can really do. Check up on the Hammer 7 thread in the News section, and the couple reviews currently up in the Reviews section.
nerdcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Doesn't work for Avratech

uh, it's actually really smooth. some possible tweaks to the internals to make it even smoother by reducing any kinking on the return forward stroke, more will be known of that once more of them are tested and modified by people here
ApoC_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:25 AM   #4 (permalink)

Does the hammer share the same spring as any other pumps out there?
Juoshwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 03:03 AM   #5 (permalink)
Sidewinder Hoarder

If it's anything like other nelson pumps out there (which it almost certainly is, although since I don't have one yet I can't be 100% sure), you can get a maddman lp cocker spring kit - the main springs are same in both '99+ cockers/snipers and nelson based guns (i.e. hammer, phantom, etc). Only problem is that you'll need to cut a couple coils off the valve spring to get them to work in a nelson based gun.

Your only real alternative is a CCI phantom spring kit. You get three main spring choices, same as the Maddman kit, but only one valve spring choice (although unlike the maddman kit this will fit other nelson based guns without any modification necessary).

Other than spring kits, try polishing up your internals. I also find a little oil works wonders on the hammer/powertube/antikink/tpc/bolt, although just a drop or two (I use a pps oil bottle that uses a little nail polish brush as opposed to just a dropper).

As said, you might even be able to use other nelson guns parts (anti-kink/tpc), although I could be totally wrong about this given I don't have a hammer 7 and haven't seen any indepth reviews.

Good luck! From what I hear they're not so bad re pump stroke.
toymachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 07:37 AM   #6 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by toymachine View Post
If it's anything like other nelson pumps out there (which it almost certainly is, although since I don't have one yet I can't be 100% sure), you can get a maddman lp cocker spring kit - the main springs are same in both '99+ cockers/snipers and nelson based guns (i.e. hammer, phantom, etc). Only problem is that you'll need to cut a couple coils off the valve spring to get them to work in a nelson based gun.

Your only real alternative is a CCI phantom spring kit. You get three main spring choices, same as the Maddman kit, but only one valve spring choice (although unlike the maddman kit this will fit other nelson based guns without any modification necessary).

Other than spring kits, try polishing up your internals. I also find a little oil works wonders on the hammer/powertube/antikink/tpc/bolt, although just a drop or two (I use a pps oil bottle that uses a little nail polish brush as opposed to just a dropper).

As said, you might even be able to use other nelson guns parts (anti-kink/tpc), although I could be totally wrong about this given I don't have a hammer 7 and haven't seen any indepth reviews.

Good luck! From what I hear they're not so bad re pump stroke.
You don't have to cut the coils off for all Nelsons. Just phantoms to my knowledge they have the smallest valve of the bunch.
Aka "wagz" on the field
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Keebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:15 AM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member

I have mine butter smooth. I polished the hammer and bolt with Mothers. polished the inside of the body and pump guide.
I replaced the return spring with a ccm and clipped the stock hammer return spring in half and put that in too.
my gun cocks nice and easy and when you release the pump handle it returns on its own.
all the drag comes from kink between the hammer and bolt, which causes the hammer to rub on the body, so polishing the hammer is your best bet.

springs are longer then nelson springs.
cocker spring on the left, then 3 phantom springs and 4 nelson springs. hammer spring on the right.
Name:  IMG_0936.jpg
Views: 1110
Size:  297.9 KB
capitalpaintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 12:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
Post Whore

Those are main springs yes?
Aka "wagz" on the field
Old 12-22-2012, 02:00 PM   #9 (permalink)
MCB Member

yup, main springs.
capitalpaintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 02:12 PM   #10 (permalink)
Post Whore

Kind the of a bummer that they arnt standard Nelson in the hammer. How bout the valve?
Aka "wagz" on the field

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Kingman