mcarterbrown.com  

Old 09-24-2007, 12:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
Corpses Eaten: 0

Fan of EMR
Suitable low cost reg for a Shutter?

Buddy of mine picked up a cheap shutter that I'm fixing up for him. He'll be uising it on CO2, and wants to "rip" with it, so I figure I'll reg it for him and lower the pressure to try and limit shootdown from pressure drop. What kind of operating pressures can I expect to get decent preformance with this? And what's a half decent cheap reg that'll acheive such?

Thanks.

"I wanna be as big as a mountain.
I wanna fly as high as the sun.
I wanna know what the rent's like in heaven.
I wanna know
Where the river goes..."
STP

My Feedback: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/s...3932#post13932
Chappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 01:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
chuff chuff

It should come with regulator already, but if it doesn't the only cheap HP regulators I can think of are the Thor and the Doolie if you can find them.
Hobbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 01:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Old 'n Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
It should come with regulator already, but if it doesn't the only cheap HP regulators I can think of are the Thor and the Doolie if you can find them.

I have a brand new Thor reg for sale here:

PMI / Pure Energy Thor bottomline regulator fs

Dan
Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 01:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
Inch of Gold

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
PBN Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappy View Post
Buddy of mine picked up a cheap shutter that I'm fixing up for him. He'll be uising it on CO2, and wants to "rip" with it, so I figure I'll reg it for him and lower the pressure to try and limit shootdown from pressure drop. What kind of operating pressures can I expect to get decent preformance with this? And what's a half decent cheap reg that'll acheive such?

Thanks.
How cheap is cheap? If you can find an Evil Detonator, they are usually around $30 and are pretty decent, although they do have about a 5k round break-in, and also note the 500psi MAX output pressure. CP regs are pretty cheap as well and I hear they work well.

Not sure how much you're going to be able to accomplish with CO2, but with a polish job on the internals, decent reg, and maybe a new delrin bolt you can probably get down to the 400-500 psi range without spending a ton of time/money. Shutter doesn't have an e-trigger on it, just a double mechanical, right? You might want to get a cheaper e-frame and a decent barrel (J&J?) as well.
Mayvik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 02:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
Every Dog has its Day

Send a message via AIM to netsurferdude2 Send a message via Skype™ to netsurferdude2

PMI pure energy one would be good. You can get them for $10-15 used.
When I worked in the county prison, all my pals among the correctional officer staff were always talking about how they needed a large(r) caliber handgun in case they were confronted by someone on "PCP" or "Angel dust".

Now... all they talk about is zombies.
netsurferdude2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 03:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
MCB Member

Expect to get the pressure around 500 psi with some simple mods. That's where mine runs at right now. I kind of live by the "Do it right or don't bother" motto, so naturally I went for a PPS Stab on mine. I took the venturi part out of my bolt, raised my FPS by about 20 fps. It just unscrewed with some force, I don't know what the bolt is like in yours. I also have a lightened valve spring to increase the amount of air released, but I have not yet modded the valve or valve stem.

Otter SC Customs used to have a nice spyder page, but the site seems to have died. You can still view the info through Google Cache.

Low Pressure - F.A.Q.
Project - LP
I do custom 3D printing and design work. PM me for inquiries.

Mission Masters
My Feedback
Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 10:28 AM   #7 (permalink)

Fan of EMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
It should come with regulator already,
Good point, I don't plan on using it 'cause its pretty beat up and I've heard nothing good about them, but what operating pressure does it run stock? Anyone know, I haven't been able to find any info about the stock shutter reg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by netsurferdude2 View Post
PMI pure energy one would be good. You can get them for $10-15 used.
That's along the lines of what I was thinking, so long as the output pressure is significant to operate the shutter. They top out around 500 or 600psi, correct? that should be sufficient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson View Post
Expect to get the pressure around 500 psi with some simple mods. That's where mine runs at right now. I kind of live by the "Do it right or don't bother" motto, so naturally I went for a PPS Stab on mine. I took the venturi part out of my bolt, raised my FPS by about 20 fps. It just unscrewed with some force, I don't know what the bolt is like in yours. I also have a lightened valve spring to increase the amount of air released, but I have not yet modded the valve or valve stem.
In a perfect world, I'd throw on a stab, but since this a $10 gun outta somebody's garage it just isn't gonna have that much dumped into it. Looks like I have a bolt like yours, maybe I'll try to remove the venturi piece, that makes some sense.

Thanks for the responses, guys. Big help, really.

I wanna know
Where the river goes..."
STP

Old 09-26-2007, 02:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappy View Post
In a perfect world, I'd throw on a stab, but since this a $10 gun outta somebody's garage it just isn't gonna have that much dumped into it. Looks like I have a bolt like yours, maybe I'll try to remove the venturi piece, that makes some sense.
The Spyder I have the Stab on was $10 as well. Apparently it was "broken" but just needed new o-rings. I put a $25 SP Progressive barrel on it and a $80 used Stab. But I understand not wanting to spend that much. A guy I know at the local field was selling it almost brand new and the price was right, so I picked it up.

The venturi part was hard to remove. Otter SC Customs showed to use a long thin pair of needle-nose pliers, but I had none that would work. So I used 2 nails held tight in a pair of vice-grip pliers to twist it out. Still took a lot of force. It was in there pretty good, with a bit of loc-tite I think. You might want to try some heat on it to loosen it up.

Obviously polishing the internals is a cheap and effect way to lower your pressure a bit. The issue I have with lowering pressure right now is getting the FPS up. My Spyder will recock to as low as 300 psi, but it needs 500 psi to shoot at 275. I have an extra valve and valve stem, so I might try working on them a bit.
I do custom 3D printing and design work. PM me for inquiries.

Mission Masters
My Feedback
Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 09:04 PM   #9 (permalink)
Eli
Phat.

Send a message via AIM to Eli

What about a stock WGP reg? I bet you probably have one somewhere in your junk box...
Old 09-30-2007, 09:36 PM   #10 (permalink)

Fan of EMR
Nope, never owned a cocker...

I wanna know
Where the river goes..."
STP

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Kingman