mcarterbrown.com

Old 04-06-2013, 09:40 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to panhead4411

Hammer 7 pump arm issue...

So, i finally got to play with my Hammer 7 today, and noticed something that i wanted to know if it was normal or not.

When aired up, after i would cock it, the pump arm would not push forward, i would have to manually push it back forward. However, if not aired up (since it won't actually 'cock' w/ no air) the spring would easily push the arm back forward.

Was wondering if this is normal, or if there might be something wrong with something inside to cause this to happen only when the hammer is cocked...

LOVING the clip fed pump though, awesome fun so far.
panhead4411 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
Mine works the exact same way.
eBay
username: bacreman, 100+, 100% positive
Tdotballers.com
http://www.tdotballers.com/forums/in...&#entry1062159
Mcarterbrown.com Feedback
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
240SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

So, whats the point of the return spring, if you have to manually return it while in normal use? I'm kinda confused.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:45 AM   #4 (permalink)
Post Whore

I've had nothing but problems with my Hammer since I got it - and (long story short) they won't touch it unless I pay for shipping and a part to get it fixed. Aside from the MAJOR problem with my marker, I encountered the issue you describe as well when trying to get it running.

In hopes that there would be compatible parts, I grabbed my old Hammer which hadn't been gassed up for over a decade, and it held air and fired perfectly, as did my old homebrew nelson which hadn't been gassed up in probably five years more. I prefer a Sheridan-based pump, but I have to acknowledge that the Nelson valve design is probably the most simple and reliable system ever made... Don't know how Kingman got it so wrong.
Frizzle Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:12 AM   #5 (permalink)
BAZINGA PUNK!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to [MOOSE]

Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by panhead4411 View Post
So, i finally got to play with my Hammer 7 today, and noticed something that i wanted to know if it was normal or not.

When aired up, after i would cock it, the pump arm would not push forward, i would have to manually push it back forward. However, if not aired up (since it won't actually 'cock' w/ no air) the spring would easily push the arm back forward.

Was wondering if this is normal, or if there might be something wrong with something inside to cause this to happen only when the hammer is cocked...

LOVING the clip fed pump though, awesome fun so far.
This sounds like you are confusing the main spring with the return spring. The main spring will return a Nelson back all day long if not aired up. When aired up if there is no return spring then it will not return. Is there a spring on the pump arm somewhere? I don't have a hammer 7 but I own a few and have owned a few Nelson based guns. My nelspot which doesn't have a return spring does the exact same thing you are talking about.
Long distance member of: Team Long Stroke (It's like a long distance relationship only better)
[MOOSE] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:17 PM   #6 (permalink)

Yes, there is a return spring in the pump arm. Its not my first rodeo.

Other than this, i haven't had any issues, not even the ones most ppl were having with their guns out of the box (that were fixed by using the replacement parts sent with the guns). Heck, i didn't even have to turn my velocity yet as my paint bore match had me right at 280 fps.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to BigOldSkool

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
FYI... the springs on nelsons were never intended to "return" the pump like a snipers... It was meant to keep the pump from moving when the gun was cocked. Mostly this happened when running or moving.

RIP - Ed "BigDaddy" Roth and "Indian" Larry
Wild Geese - Coney Isand White Fish - ECA
BOS's Feedback!
What Serial Number Is Your Cocker? WTB
ECAP - "Making players dreams other players nightmares"
COUSINS PAINTBALL
BigOldSkool is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOldSkool View Post
FYI... the springs on nelsons were never intended to "return" the pump like a snipers... It was meant to keep the pump from moving when the gun was cocked. Mostly this happened when running or moving.
Truth. But those were not undercocking kits; they tended to be thin low tension springs around a wide barrel. This setup is a small higher tension spring on a secondary guide rod - it really wants to return the bolt but doesn't quite do it. If my H7 worked I would try fiddling with the spring maybe replacing it but it's not worth me getting mad and smashing it since it wouldn't work anyway.
Frizzle Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 05:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
MCB Member

my pump return works great. but i polished all the internals and the body then added a CCM return spring plus half the spider return spring.
Pump it back. let it go and it snaps forward.
it will get better with use.
capitalpaintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 12:26 AM   #10 (permalink)

I cut down an old spyder drive spring and it does the trick for now. Seems a bit stiffer to pump, but atleast it returns forward now. Might play tomorrow with it and see how it does.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Kingman