mcarterbrown.com  

Old 05-24-2013, 06:20 PM   #11 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Hmm... no rails... our team mad scientist is a gunsmith, and loves stuff with rails, has all sorts of toys for paintball, air soft, and real firearms... That's one of the reasons he gave me the Spyder. Well, that and he said its super easy to maintain (granted, his standards might be a little different).

So, the Enmy would work well for a fun, un-scary marker? Our table usually gets stared at because he typically brings a load of markers, ranging from his Dye DAM, Hammer 7, EMR-5, Phantom, etc., plus all the flashbangs and First Strike rounds. However, he usually goes out to play with the low-end of his gear, opting to go mag fed or similar to handicap himself. We try to show off the fun stuff, but have absolutely NO desire to scare off players by actually playing with high firepower unless the other team is actually experienced, has equivalent output, etc.

The field that opened up is the first one on Maui for years, possibly decades. As such, we're far more concerned with nurturing the developing community, growing it, rather than out and out competition. Hence me being so concerned with being un-scary and versatility ("Hey, it doesn't have to be an expensive hobby, look at this!").
Old 05-24-2013, 11:38 PM   #12 (permalink)
Low skill High enthusiasm

The enmy is a mechanical marker so it is limited to how fast you can pull the trigger, and need no batteries. Henchman threw a Lapco tactical body on his and that has rails, but it will require custom work. Rumor has it Gog will release a tactical version of the Enmy. If you want to limit yourself to help foster new players, try playing pump. I currently shoot a pump in every game I play and it means that I am not able to just rain down paintballs on the other players. Any semi auto gun with a small hopper will be slightly limited, almost the same as an openclass pump. Just play hopper balls (only carry one hopper worth of paint on the field with you) so you have to pick your shots.
Use your buds phantom for a few games, that will help.
WTB CCI Parts
WTB
Striving to achieve everlasting glory in Vahalla
Cattle die, kinsmen die
all men are mortal.
Words of praise, will never perish
nor a noble name.
- The Havamal
Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 05:18 AM   #13 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Oh, that's a fun idea! Hopper balls? Hmm... I think I can go for that

Thanks for the ideas!

My friends will be helping me to improve my play - going in early Monday to get some learning/coaching in!
Old 05-26-2013, 01:48 PM   #14 (permalink)

Sorry I'm a wee bit (very) dyslexic as you may have noticed. It's Hopper Ball. Good luck, and thanks for being nice to the new players, We all were there once.
WTB CCI Parts
WTB
Cattle die, kinsmen die
all men are mortal.
nor a noble name.
- The Havamal
Old 05-26-2013, 05:51 PM   #15 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda View Post
Sorry I'm a wee bit (very) dyslexic as you may have noticed. It's Hopper Ball. Good luck, and thanks for being nice to the new players, We all were there once.
As a long-time gamer, and a lover of fighting games? I was lucky enough to get introduced to some guys who were not only community leaders/organizers in their area, but were simply fantastic at helping new players, teaching them, and integrating them with the local community. I'd rather have one of them than a hundred OMG players that compete at a professional level.

The more and more hardcore the community comes, the smaller it'll get. Attrition happens, and unnecessary barriers* to entry (cost, attitudes, negative experiences, etc) are detrimental to compensating for loss, nevermind growing.

*Safety lessons, for instance, would be a necessary barrier to entry. And its relatively small!
Old 05-28-2013, 10:24 AM   #16 (permalink)
Post Whore

As far as getting something "new" and not overwhelming for a new player(either yourself to take care of or your opponents to not be scared off from playing)
look at what you wish to play with
  • pump
  • semi/mech
  • electronic
  • pistol/small
any of these generic "types" can be used with/against both new and "professional/veteran" players without overwhelming either yourself or your opponents.
(and there are a number of people on this forum who can help with a particular choice once the generic is made)

Seeing as you can limit how much paint you wish to bring on the field, to how you are geared up in general, to how aggressive you play right through to just how you treat the people you are playing with/against newer players should respond favorably and veteran players usually will also.

If either of them don't it usually is either the sport is not for them or they are not good for the sport and you can usually quickly tell which are which.

The main thing for a new field IMO wishing to grow its steady player base is by limiting its ROF to semi only (one pull one ball no ramping no response no 3 burst no FA), having a decent Field Paint at a decent price(and making it FPO) and having diligent Refs that know the rules and adhere to them for everyone. Someone still wants to use their $1500 space gun fine just leave it set to semi they might have a more consistent marker than say your usual Tippmann rentals but they are shooting the same ROF/FPS/paint as everyone else.

I personally mentioned the TPX/Tiberius "pistols" due to at this moment they offer the most versatility IMO in a nice small package.
  • up to rifle/pdw sized depending on what you wish to use
  • Limited ammo of either 68 cal or First Strikes
  • hoppers / extended mags available depending on what you choose
  • you are still shooting the same FPS as everyone else so your 68cal with a decent paint/barrel is going to fly the same distance as the guy using the rental or space gun
  • I like semi for general play

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightstar View Post
I translated this as: Scenario games are popular with overshooting douchebags raging on cocaine and steroid cocktails while roasting puppies and punching babies. Stay home unless you enjoy impromptu fistfights.
EL17E 76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:22 PM   #17 (permalink)
Rec Poster

I think I'll go with a good quality pistol, perhaps. I believe the field wss looking at BT SA-17's. Also, there was a kid rocking the Tippmann pistols having a grand ol' time yesterday

The local shop did just get the eNMe in - that's very nice and light and felt great. Looked nice; think that could work as well. From what I've read here, itd be up my alley, especially for maintenance. Figure that and a direct line ought to be delightfully light and nimble.

As for shooting? My buddy with the DYE DAM noted a few times that he doesn't like how fast the thing fires, and said he'll have to adjust it later. He couldn't use the 3-round burst in good conscience, especially given how tight his grouping was. Of course, it seems one of the prevailing thoughts on the team is "don't shoot someone with something you wouldn't want hit by."

Thanks for all the input so far!
Old 05-28-2013, 10:19 PM   #18 (permalink)

You will have tonnes of fun with a TPX, they are good pistols, lots of people like them. I don't whether money is a problem for you, but remember, when you buy a pistol, you also need to set up a rig. A Lot of guys here could help you with that, but it will cost some dough (~100 bucks for mag, possibly air, vest, and dump pouch). I do not own a pistol, I play pump, so I am not the most knowledgeable on this. If you go that route, talk to PistolPete or Agent Smith, both those guys use pistols to great effect. If you're feeling really ballsy get a phantom pistol or a good old pgp and a simple stock class load out. You can find pgps for around 70 bucks. Though they are not primaries and you will be at a disadvantage, they are very fun and you will get major old school points. Plus, nothing really shines like brass
WTB CCI Parts
WTB
Cattle die, kinsmen die
all men are mortal.
nor a noble name.
- The Havamal
Old 05-28-2013, 10:33 PM   #19 (permalink)
Rec Poster

I think my molle vest has clip/mag pockets. For air, you mean a direct-air setup? Or buying tons of those little 12grams? Oh, yeah, and a dump pouch would be smart, wouldn't it? @_@

I tried looking for a Phantom pistol, but didn't find it on their site. Is that a custom thing? Granted, I prefer semi-auto if I can get it. Maybe its a mental thing, but I guess I'm not sure how I'd do with a pump. Although, its not like I'm spraying paint all over the place...

I'll see if I can try out my friend's Phantom later, and he's got a pistol as well, I think...

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Kingman