mcarterbrown.com  

Old 05-24-2013, 02:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Planning out Spyder MR-100 upgrades.

I was given a Spyder MR-100 not too long ago. Been trying to play once a month at least, got to play in a tournament, and generally been having a lot of fun.

I've gotten an HPA tank because the field has free air. Bought a sling (well worth the money - man paintball can get tiring!), oil, a tac-cap, and that's about it in terms of upgrades.

I'd like to do a few things, but I'm not sure how to go about it just yet...

I'd like to pistolize the MR-100, so I can have something that isn't intimidating for when I play with new folks. Also, I'd like to make it smaller/lighter, as my 66-year old mother had her first paintball game this past Saturday and loved it (lady's only day at the local field). She wants to play more games when they have the lady's days
  • The local hobby shop has this feeder thing that can turn a marker stick-fed. I'm not sure if it'll work or not.
  • I seem to recall there being quick change things for 12 grams, and was wondering if I could use something like that instead of a big HPA tank, or a find a small HPA tank.
  • Do they make smaller barrels? Its a 12" right now, and was thinking a 6" or 8"?

My friends are also suggesting some other upgrades, but they'll be for very different purposes.
  • A longer barrel, maybe an Apex?
  • A remote line. I had a JT one from Sports Authority and returned it within a few days. Darn thing was either defective or I was doing it wrong, so the lack of a manual was troubling. Emptied out both my old CO2 and HPA tanks!
  • A more complete tool kit. I need grease, oil rings, Allen wrenches, and...? What would be good/smart?
  • A scope or red-dot or something?

Anything else I ought to be considering? Is all this reasonable/affordable/sensible? I'd love to get a better marker, but I want this to be a great stand-by, a versatile marker, and a good loaner.
Chikahiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 03:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
MCB Member

• they make barrel lengths from 3" - 22"
  • they make small CO2 and HPA tanks 5ozCO2-9ciHPA all of which are usable with a remote line as necessary. I would personally stay away from 12g quick changer for this particular application.
  • it is center feed so making it stick/spring fed should not be too hard although due to the cocking bolt being top accessed you would need the feed to be offset or front facing.
  • a barrel longer than 8" isn't "necessary" all of the acceleration happens in the first 6" of the barrel and you only really need 2" or so to stabilize a 68 cal ball as much as it is going to get
  • APEX system would be used for achieving longer distances at a flatter trajectory
  • a remote is useful for getting the weight off of the marker. Although you could also try a drop foward or running the bottle island style to change the weight distribution
  • scopes - red dots - "milsim" style accessories are a personal choice. some people use them and love them; some just see them as added weight. depending on the distances you see yourself playing at and what your local fields allow IMO should determine what if anything you need to use.
  • make yourself a little kit gun oil/grease depending, teflon tape, a set of allen keys, extra o-rings basically one or two of everything needed to fully replace everything in the marker if you needed to do so.
there are a number of "add-ons" here

Or save your money for now use it for what it is and "upgrade" to a prebuilt pistol (TPX Tib) when funds allow. Oh and welcome to the forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightstar View Post
I translated this as: Scenario games are popular with overshooting douchebags raging on cocaine and steroid cocktails while roasting puppies and punching babies. Stay home unless you enjoy impromptu fistfights.

Last edited by EL17E 76; 05-24-2013 at 03:48 PM.
EL17E 76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 03:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Oh, and silly me...

This is for rec-ball/woods-ball (right terms?), friendly pickup games, stuff like that. As drool worthy as the super-high-end stuff is (friend showed me the Dye DAM!), that's totally overkill for what I'm wanting.

We've got a great field, and currently the only one on Maui that I know of. Last thing I want to do is scare folks off by bringing out some $1,000+ monster
Chikahiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 03:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Any recommendations on brands? When I've looked at paintball sites, they sort items by brand first, which is really frustrating. I've got no idea what Company X, Y or Z are like, who they're aiming at, etc! I'd really hate to buy something that's gross overkill for my needs or a total waste of money, you know?
Old 05-24-2013, 03:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chikahiro View Post
Any recommendations on brands? When I've looked at paintball sites, they sort items by brand first, which is really frustrating. I've got no idea what Company X, Y or Z are like, who they're aiming at, etc! I'd really hate to buy something that's gross overkill for my needs or a total waste of money, you know?
Rap4 has a number of "add-ons" but like I said before I am not sure it is worth "upgrading" anything on the Spyder especially if it is currently working for you. Saving up and "trying" something different might be a better option for you.

.02 YMMV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightstar View Post
I translated this as: Scenario games are popular with overshooting douchebags raging on cocaine and steroid cocktails while roasting puppies and punching babies. Stay home unless you enjoy impromptu fistfights.
EL17E 76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 06:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Any particular reason for the TPX rather than a BT SA-17? Our field might be getting those for the lady's day players because they're small and light (good for my mom), and can be converted into more rifle-style markers. Is the TPX better made? More fun to play with (its mag fed, right)?

My friend pointed me to a used Autococker Competition Trilogy being sold on Craigslist for $130 nearby, and suggested that. said it'd be a good workhorse marker for me, and would let me pass my Spyder onto someone else (as a group we're pretty big on sharing equipment, hand-me-downs to new players, etc).

Paintball has been fun to play, but man, its a little overwhelming in terms of all the new stuff I'm trying to learn.
Old 05-24-2013, 06:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Quote:
make yourself a little kit gun oil/grease depending, teflon tape, a set of allen keys, extra o-rings basically one or two of everything needed to fully replace everything in the marker if you needed to do so.
And since I'm going to the shop today, I'll go and pick this stuff up
Old 05-24-2013, 06:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
Low skill High enthusiasm

For about 130 you can pick up a GOG Enmy which has a cult following on this site. It's light, tight, and comes with a regulator. It will perform better than almost any gun in it's price range. Yeah, Instead of upping the spyder grab an enmy and a electronic loader. If you want info on it, PM Henchman, I have played with him before and he has replaced his entire fleet of automags custom with enmys. He can get you the lowdown on the gun.
Three Cocker Barrels and a CCI Phantom one.
Barrel Sale
Striving to achieve everlasting glory in Vahalla
Cattle die, kinsmen die
all men are mortal.
Words of praise, will never perish
nor a noble name.
- The Havamal
Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:09 PM   #9 (permalink)
Rec Poster

I have no idea what an automag custom is @_@

At this time? I don't have any desire for an electronic loader. I've just bought a 50-round loader to use instead of my 200-round loader! Is the Enmy okay without an electronic one? Or is it a bit of a waste?
Old 05-24-2013, 07:12 PM   #10 (permalink)
Low skill High enthusiasm

I ment custom Automag, sorry. I've seen people play with gravity hoppers on enmys. The way the bolt works, it won't chop paint. Go for it!
(I play with a app 50 round hopper)
Three Cocker Barrels and a CCI Phantom one.
Barrel Sale
Striving to achieve everlasting glory in Vahalla
Cattle die, kinsmen die
all men are mortal.
Words of praise, will never perish
nor a noble name.
- The Havamal
Panda is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Kingman