mcarterbrown.com  

Old 09-17-2013, 12:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
Old school from way back!

Spyder Compact 2000 jack-hammering

Hey guys and gals, I have a Spyder Compact 2000 and I just shot it 2 weeks ago so I could make sure it shot before I put it up in the B/S/T section. Well I shot an entire VL200 through it but once I was out of paint the started to jack-hammer so I grabbed the cocking bolt (sorry I don't know what the real name is but it's the bolt you slide back to cock it) and it stopped. Well this upcoming weekend my local field is having a "members event day" and my daughter is bringing her cousin who has never played before so I was going to let her run with my Spyder. Last night I was out in the garage getting the gun set up for her and once I aired it up, cocked it and pulled the trigger it started to jack-hammer. The tank (22/3000) was completely full so I took the gun apart to see if it had to much oil in it and there is none at all, the sear (the thing the trigger moves in order for the gun to shoot) doesn't appear to be worn down at all, the hammer (where the sear catches at) doesn't appear to be worn down either. Is there something else I should look at to see why I can't get the gun to not jack-hammer? Is this a common occurrence with these old Spyder's?

Thanks in advance.

Shawn
Started with a Splatmaster, moved onto a Nelspot 007, then came the Autocockers, then a STERLING Pump, next was a Bob Long defiant then a PM7. As of now I have 4 Sterling Pumps, 2 Phantom for SC and 2 Spyder's plus a bunch of extra parts.

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
turbowagonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 12:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
makin bacon

reg output might not have enough umph to blow the bolt back past the sear.

does it maintain the same tone of jack hammering? or does it sound like the tone increases like a blowback low on co2? only common occurrence with those is when they are low on air.
have you used this tank with the spyder before?

some dirt caught in the valve train somewhere?

those are my questions/guesses.
baconquilt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 01:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
won't look at the camera

Fan of EMR
Does it only jackhammer without paint? Ive seen lot of stbb's that rely on backpressure from the ball to rock. As soon as you dry fire it wont catch but if there is a ball in the chamber then no problems

"But if somebody left you out on a ledge, If somebody pushed you over the edge, If somebody loved you and left you for dead,
You got to hold on to your time till you break through these times of trouble"
Temple of the Dog
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironnerd88 View Post
Tournament play is about the worst spectator sport out there. I would rather watch Synchronized Dungeons & Dragons.

My Feedback: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/s...3932#post13932
Chappy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:00 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by baconquilt View Post
reg output might not have enough umph to blow the bolt back past the sear.
After thinking about it last night I was kind of thinking the same thing

Quote:
does it maintain the same tone of jack hammering? or does it sound like the tone increases like a blowback low on co2? only common occurrence with those is when they are low on air.
I sounded the same each time I re-cocked and pulled the trigger, I know what low air sounds like and that was not the sound I was hearing.

Quote:
have you used this tank with the spyder before?
No I have not used this tank on the Spyder before, I use it on my pump. The girl who is going to use it is young so I wanted a lighter tank than my 45/4500's.

Quote:
some dirt caught in the valve train somewhere?
When I took it apart I checked and it was totally clean.

Quote:
those are my questions/guesses.
Thanks for the questions/guesses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappy View Post
Does it only jackhammer without paint? Ive seen lot of stbb's that rely on backpressure from the ball to rock. As soon as you dry fire it wont catch but if there is a ball in the chamber then no problems
I didn't want to try paint because I don't like cleaning that kind of mess up if it chops a ball.

After I got home from work today I tried both of my 45/4500's, one peanut and one regular. On my regular 45/4500 I know the output is set to 800 psi, after I pulled the trigger the second time it starts to jack-hammer, on my peanut tank I know I can get 900 on my Female Palmers Stabilizer (which I use on my pump, not that high though) and I could get about 4 shots before it started to jack-hammer. So I stood there scratching my head and figured just for $h!ts and giggles I'm going to try my 12 oz Co2 tank. I probably pulled the trigger probably 50 times, in rapid succession for about 20 shots, no jack-hammering. So it looks like the girl is going to run the Spyder on Co2.

With that being said I have one more question, do you think I'll run into to any problems running Co2 with Macro line? I don't have any Stainless line left from back in the day.
Started with a Splatmaster, moved onto a Nelspot 007, then came the Autocockers, then a STERLING Pump, next was a Bob Long defiant then a PM7. As of now I have 4 Sterling Pumps, 2 Phantom for SC and 2 Spyder's plus a bunch of extra parts.

Old 09-19-2013, 10:39 AM   #5 (permalink)
makin bacon

funny thing with those guns a co2. they just like that dirty gas i guess.

about the macro line. as long as you dont let it sit in the sun for a while i think you would be ok. Ive used co2 and macro and have yet to pop a line but i know it does happen from time to time.
baconquilt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 04:25 PM   #6 (permalink)

Well I always have some extra macro line with me just in case I have a line blow on me.

Old 09-19-2013, 07:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
Function over looks

Send a message via MSN to monty

I have 2 compacts that I fiddle with a lot. They are just finicky when it comes to compressed air. They never give me issues when on CO2.

First things first. Without CO2 it will always jackhammer with an empty hopper, that's been my experience.

You need a reg that's pushing 850 or more. have it tested by a shop. I had a compact that had been working fine last winter and then started acting up this month. I had my ninja reg tested and it was doing 760 something, had the oring changed and now it outputs around 840.

Make sure the main spring isn't worn, it could be just not providing enough kick on the hammer. Swap it out if you can.

I also removed all the brass filters in the asa and body to open up air flow.

On 1 of my 2 compacts I ended up grinding down the valve pin to allow more blow back gases on the hammer. It cycles fine but still needs paint or it will jackhammer most of the time.

My MCB Feedback
My EBAY Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lohman446 View Post
With all the drama, whining, superiority complex, and "you can't play here newbie" attitude I wonder if scenario paintball is attempting to take a lesson from tournament paintball on how to decrease interest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechPB-Mike View Post
I don't particularly have any respect for players using a pump gun.
monty is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Kingman