mcarterbrown.com  

Old 02-28-2014, 08:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Question Ball Detent Question

Ok so my first gun is a 2003 Piranha STS (not a Spyder I know but still really close). I did get it brand new in late 2003 and used it up until I got my then new G3 in 2009. I retired the gun because my play style had changed and the G3 is a much better gun in most respects than any Piranha. I hung on to the gun because I had stuck too much time and money into the gun to justify selling it. Not to mention that piranha was a gift from my dad and has a special sentimental value to it. Well I went from my G3 to pump and mechanical Autocockers. I still love my Autocockers but I miss the simplicity of the STS. Not to mention it was a favorite among my friends playing for the first time because of its good looks, simplicity, and ergonomic feel.

When I aired it up over a year ago the gun itself cycled fine but the seals on the reg dried up and of course leaked. The big problem however was when I put my rotor on it and put paint in it. Because the rotor puts so much tension on the ball stack, and the paint has shrunk so much in the past decade the paint started to push past the rubber detent and roll out the barrel.

It has a single rubber finger detent like on most Spyders. If I put in a detent that is too long the bolt will just "remove the excess" and I'll be back to the original problem. I could mill it for a second detent, but I'd risk messing up the body and I'd have to locate another detent cover. I'd like to drill out the current detent and install an Autococker style detent if possible.

So my question is: Can you drill out a Piranha/Spyder style detent for an Autococker style ball detent? And if you can, has anybody done it before? Or is there an easier way that I haven't thought of yet?

If you need further details please ask. I no longer have immediate custody of this gun though. It is at my parentís house in WI, and I am living in California.
2KZX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 09:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

I modded my first spyder clone to have a tippmann style detent. A little bit of file work, or a small dremel, and its good to go. Just have to get the spacing right or either the current ball isn't 'in' all the way, or the next ball is too far 'in' and gets clipped by bolt.
panhead4411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 09:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by panhead4411 View Post
I modded my first spyder clone to have a tippmann style detent. A little bit of file work, or a small dremel, and its good to go. Just have to get the spacing right or either the current ball isn't 'in' all the way, or the next ball is too far 'in' and gets clipped by bolt.
Do you have pictures of this?
Old 02-28-2014, 10:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
Fear the Beer!

Have you tried backing out the tension on the rotor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by melkson View Post
After I found out I had a screw loose, he gave me a good short screw. Filled my hole completely.
forstgump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 10:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by forstgump View Post
Have you tried backing out the tension on the rotor?
Aint nobody got time for that!

But seriously this is the only gun in my collection that this happens with. I use this hopper on everything from my sniper to my tourny guns. Granted the STS is mechanical so it wouldn't kill me to lower the tension on the rotor, but I'd rather keep the tension but improve the ball detent. I know PMI used to make "heavy duty" detents in addition to their normal polyurethane ones. Do you guys know of a heavier detent that is compatible with Spyder/Piranha like the EGO, Vanquish, or something else?
Old 02-28-2014, 10:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Fear the Beer!

They're all similar. Try a timmy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by melkson View Post
After I found out I had a screw loose, he gave me a good short screw. Filled my hole completely.
forstgump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 10:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by forstgump View Post
They're all similar. Try a timmy.
Thanks. Too bad I don't have access to the gun. I'll have to try this on my EVO to see if it even fits. The Spyder dentents I put in the EVO were a tad too long and the tips got lopped off. Luckily the dual detents have proven to be more trouble free than the standard one.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Kingman