mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   Kingman (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/kingman/)
-   -   Barrel kits (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/kingman/27451-barrel-kits.html)

Omegara 12-07-2007 12:33 PM

Barrel kits

I am thinking of getting a spyder Pilot ACS and have heard that I should upgrade the barrel. So I was looking into barrels and barrel kits. So what I want to know is should I go with a single good barrel and if so which one, or should I go with a barrel kit such as the Empire revolver 7pc set, or the like. Any info would be helpful because I don't know a lot about spyders as I am normally a tippmann guy. My friend has a couple old Spyder compact TL's but the Pilot is an E-marker and newer so thanks for any input.

Brinstar 12-07-2007 12:57 PM

The spyder is similar enough to the tippmann in that both markers keep the ball in the breech until the trigger is pulled. So, as long as you have a detent on the spyder, you don't need a barrel kit.

If you've been happy running your tippmanns without a kit, then you'll be fine without one on your spyder.

If you are going to be using a variety of paint, and you want more efficiency and consistency (both of those are arguably marginal), a barrel kit might be a good idea. Unless you really want to be fine tuning, 7 different sizers seems like overkill to me, but if it's cheap enough go for it.

If you go for a single bore, Lapco & J&J are both excellent for the money. Find out how big the paint you usually use is, and get something a size or two up from that. Hang onto your big-bore stock barrel for the days when the paint is too big.

Also consider that depending on the barrel kit, you may also be able to keep it to use on other guns as your collection grows.

Basically you should be fine either way. If you're trying to talk yourself into getting a barrel kit, just do it. If you're trying to talk yourself out of it, then no you don't really need one.

Titus 12-07-2007 01:15 PM

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/d...rrels-f-s.html

If you're looking for an after market barrel for a great price, there you go.

Omegara 12-07-2007 01:43 PM

Thanks

Thanks for the info. I wasn't trying to convince myself one way or the other, was just curious about options. I don't even have the gun yet. I may get it for christmas, if not I will probably buy it at some point. So I was just curious about the barrels as I have read that for the pilot people recommend a new barrel and dye stickie grips. I will probably just go for a single barrel as that is cheaper than the kit. thanks for the info and titus I may get in contact with you when/if I get the gun :)

Mayvik 12-07-2007 01:54 PM

Also if you're not looking to use an insert kit (so you can just buy a new back to use it on another marker type), there have been Evil Pipe kits on eBay for super cheap lately ($30?) that come with 5 backs and a tip.

Omegara 12-07-2007 02:38 PM

any recommendations on length? 12, 14, 16?

Brinstar 12-07-2007 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omegara (Post 261084)
any recommendations on length? 12, 14, 16?

I usually run with a 12". I probably would not go with anything shorter than 10, or longer than 14, but that's just me. Some people find it easier to sight with longer barrel, and if you play speed ball, I guess some people find it easier to wrap the bunker around it. On the other hand, some people find longer barrels harder to maneuver with. As long as you have over 10 inches, you're not likely to notice any difference in accuracy. I would also suggest shooting for something that has at least 6-8 inches of no porting in the back.

dead possum 12-07-2007 02:51 PM

ok, this is my third attempt to type this, due to IE crashing... so it is the much abreviated version.

another kit to look at is python paintball, in short it is a +/- 2" spacer that has adjustible inserts/bore that screws into gun and then the barrel of your choice (same as gun) screws in to the spacer. price and what it does cant be beat.

IMO running a high pressure gun you only need 1'-2" to get the ball to speed on low pressure guns you would want longer due to how the system accelerates a ball. spyders and tipmanns are high pressure, if you didnt know.

as to overall beral length there is a tolerance based on function longer gives better control at long range, shorter more compact.. but to short means limited control and to long takes to much to get the ball out of barrel.... i belive Tom Kayes says the optimal for AGD (simalar PSI/ball acceleration as a spyder/tipmann) is 12"-14". but you make the call. I preffer 14"-16" range

i have used both python and full freak kit, they are on par with each other IMO but the freak has more advantages for me due to having both HPA and LPA guns.

dead possum 12-07-2007 02:55 PM

oh and i have played with my wifes angel 05 and a JCS stuby (4" barrel) and had a great tight pattern to about 35' after that the grouping started going wonky, couldnt hit anything past 50'. my spyder (non factory setup) seams to do best on effeciancy/accuracy with my 16 while the mag prefers a 12.

asthetics is a big factor in chosing a barrel not just how it performs. and if you can borrow a few barrels and shoot/play with them before you buy. i have half a dozen and am always loaning out when at a game/field.

Omegara 12-07-2007 02:59 PM

so basically with that kit I could use the stock barrel and get better performance out of it?