mcarterbrown.com  

Old 12-21-2007, 03:37 PM   #21 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Phantom Flanker

ok here is my idea that i think will be solid (hope)

we use this

Like you said but then we make the adapter that goes in the gun and drill it for the 1/8npt fitting. Then all we have to do is screw it in with some Teflon tape.

seems simpler to me but do you have the tools to mill that piece?

I might have access to a lathe.
But nothing to thread the 1/8 npt fitting.
Phantom Flanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 08:21 PM   #22 (permalink)
Post Whore

If you have access to a lathe and a hunk o' 3/4 aluminium round bar then you can make your own assuming you can use the lathe OK.

Just make up a solid stub that has the same shape as the stub with the 2 Orings on the VA that goes into the main body. But don't drill out the holes just yet. Leave it so there's about 3/8 inch of bar sticking out. Drill and tap the hole for the retaining screw being careful to go only just deep enough to hold the screw. Then drill in with the Q drill but stop short of the retainer screw drilling by about 3/32 inch to 1/8 inch. Use a 1/8 NPT tap to thread this hole. Drilling in about 1/8 inch with a drill bit that is a 1/64 oversize will really help reduce the amount of metal the tapered form of the NPT tap has to remove. The hole for the adapter will need to be a touch low of center. Then from the back you'll need to drill in to hit the back of the Q hole to pass the CO2 through to the valve chamber. But you need to do this without hitting the hole for the retaining screw.

Easy, eh?
miracle in some small way.........
Railgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 10:08 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railgun View Post
If you have access to a lathe and a hunk o' 3/4 aluminium round bar then you can make your own assuming you can use the lathe OK.

Just make up a solid stub that has the same shape as the stub with the 2 Orings on the VA that goes into the main body. But don't drill out the holes just yet. Leave it so there's about 3/8 inch of bar sticking out. Drill and tap the hole for the retaining screw being careful to go only just deep enough to hold the screw. Then drill in with the Q drill but stop short of the retainer screw drilling by about 3/32 inch to 1/8 inch. Use a 1/8 NPT tap to thread this hole. Drilling in about 1/8 inch with a drill bit that is a 1/64 oversize will really help reduce the amount of metal the tapered form of the NPT tap has to remove. The hole for the adapter will need to be a touch low of center. Then from the back you'll need to drill in to hit the back of the Q hole to pass the CO2 through to the valve chamber. But you need to do this without hitting the hole for the retaining screw.

Easy, eh?

lol...
reading that gave me a headache.

so lets say I can make this.

Would you want one?
Old 12-21-2007, 10:10 PM   #24 (permalink)

So I get it but whats a q drill???

Is it like a drill press?
Old 12-22-2007, 04:13 PM   #25 (permalink)
Post Whore

It's a letter drill size. There's fractional drills then there number drills but the number series only goes up so high. For the larger sizes that fit between the larger fractionals there's letter drills.

Drill Size Chart of all the fractional, metric, number and letter sizes and the true decimal inch sizing.

Check out Carbide Depot Technical Resources for Manufacturing Professionals for links to a lot of informative tables. About 2/3 down the listings are links to tapping information charts including tapered pipe threads.

Thanks for the offer but if I need one I've got the lathe and other tools here. I thought this was supposed to be the other way around and I'd end up making one for YOU....

I'm quite keen on the Piranha Pistol deal but I'm looking at keeping it as a vertical holder. I like the much easier access to switching since I use gloves when I play and having the changer out in the clear will make for a lot less fumbling with gloves. Also I like the idea of the 12 being held vertically so it acts like a built in anti syphon set up. But of course lots of pistols use horizontal 12's so I'm probably obsessing about nothing at all. Mostly it's for the ease of swapping while wearing gloves. I'm using light and fairly tight fitting mountain bike gloves but they still make doing things that benifit from tactile feedback a bit more clumsy. Like getting the barrel sock in and out of my pocket and getting the swab out when I need it.

Last edited by Railgun; 12-22-2007 at 04:17 PM.
Old 02-16-2008, 06:37 PM   #26 (permalink)
Rec Poster

am i the only sane one here. Why not just buy a $100 miltec g1, get a REAL pistol, a spyder on 12grams = 10-15 shots, a miltec = 25-30, secondly it will actually fit in a holter, thirdly it wont look like.... hell. Sorry i understand the whole do-it-yourself stuff for fun, im making a pump spyder that is basically useless too, but Im just saying if you want a pistol that you can actually play with then buy a miltec g1, if you want to have fun making stuff then awesome and I totally respect that.
killbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 09:54 PM   #27 (permalink)
Post Whore

Because it's fun to play with stuff like this.

I'm planning on doing something much the same when time permits just for giggles. Also there's a Piranha R6 pump in my future.
Old 02-16-2008, 10:36 PM   #28 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to CamoDeafie Send a message via MSN to CamoDeafie

Because we can.

99% or so of the custom stuff you see here, especially the "off-beat" models, such as the nice spyder pump, the semi-auto PGP, H8TR/Vectors and so on, just because the person doing it can. =)
CamoDeafie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 01:57 PM   #29 (permalink)
Rec Poster

I would suggest trying to fit the twelve gram changer into the gripframe, ive seen it done on a really poorly done spyder pistol but if done nicer the idea is good. Also a freak back with the 1 inch tip makes the perfect pistol barrel.
killbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 10:33 AM   #30 (permalink)
Skeet Surfer!

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Are you talking about MY spyder pistol idea? That stings........ You haven't even seen any of the extra work i've done.
GanonsGrin is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Kingman