mcarterbrown.com  

Old 05-16-2008, 04:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
windbag

Spyder noob with q's

Hey All,

Looking to get my first electro. I'm a rec player, and woodsball at that. But, a few of the guys I play with are using various electros... Anyway, I was looking at the Dangerous Power Fusions and I really like them, but at twice as much money for the 08 as some of the Spyders, well, isn't that why people buy Spyders? Anyway, AV has the VS1 with parts kit and the Pilot 08 for around the same price. I'm wondering what the differences are. I see that the Pilot is lighter and can go up to 25 bps instead of the VS1's 20bps, but honestly I'm not a high ROF kind of guy. I grew up playing pump... Is the Pilot newer? More upgraded?

Thanks!
marked74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 12:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Post Whore

Forget the bps rate. The trigger frames are set to a lower number anyway.

Go for the VS1 if you want to stay with the Spyder lineup. They VS series has eyes to help avoid chops while the Pilot uses a spring equipped bolt to HOPEFULLY give rather than chop. Having said that my own Pilot works just fine and rarely chops a ball in the few times I've used it.

Keep in mind as well that the VS1 is a full pressure marker. That "regulator" is just a hollow expansion chamber and not a reg at all. And if higher rates of fire are important to you then you want to go with an air tank vs CO2.

I'm a rec/woods player as well. I've tried some electros and they are going on sale soon. I prefer mechanical instead and to hell with what all the others say. Mind you I like to play pump as well and the more I play pump the less ammo I shoot during a semi game. I find that I seldom go through more than about 40 to 50 balls unless it's a defend the fort deal and I'm defending then I may go through up to 100. It's your choice but I've really found that quantity doesn't mean quality. I prefer to buy good fresh paint that shoots accurately and that means I need less balls in the air to play. YMMV.
miracle in some small way.........
Railgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 12:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to Hitman08

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railgun View Post
Forget the bps rate. The trigger frames are set to a lower number anyway.

Go for the VS1 if you want to stay with the Spyder lineup. They VS series has eyes to help avoid chops while the Pilot uses a spring equipped bolt to HOPEFULLY give rather than chop. Having said that my own Pilot works just fine and rarely chops a ball in the few times I've used it.

Keep in mind as well that the VS1 is a full pressure marker. That "regulator" is just a hollow expansion chamber and not a reg at all. And if higher rates of fire are important to you then you want to go with an air tank vs CO2.

I'm a rec/woods player as well. I've tried some electros and they are going on sale soon. I prefer mechanical instead and to hell with what all the others say. Mind you I like to play pump as well and the more I play pump the less ammo I shoot during a semi game. I find that I seldom go through more than about 40 to 50 balls unless it's a defend the fort deal and I'm defending then I may go through up to 100. It's your choice but I've really found that quantity doesn't mean quality. I prefer to buy good fresh paint that shoots accurately and that means I need less balls in the air to play. YMMV.
hey whats up maybe you might know since you own a pilot why do i see stripped out pilots on ebay they sell the receiver and barrel no internals no trigger frame then you can find Spyder Pilot Parts all the internal parts (bolt striker ect) and the stock feed neck why do some pilot owners strip them out makes no sense i could see selling the barrel or the trigger frame and acs bolt beats me if you dont know its cool no big deal
Hitman08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 07:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
550 for Fighters

Send a message via AIM to TheAznInvazn

Palmers Fan
Actually, the new Pilot 08 comes with eye's now, but it uses a polymer frame.

That being said, I'd still go for the VS1, plastic grip frames never settled with me well, and the lack of a volumizer makes the Pilot less consistant.
Old 06-04-2008, 01:08 PM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Omegara Send a message via MSN to Omegara Send a message via Yahoo to Omegara

I'd go with the 08 electra if you can afford the $200. It has the reg which lets it run at 300 psi, a rail and on/off, can run on regular 9v's and the frame is aluminum instead of polymer like the new pilot.
Omegara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 10:51 AM   #6 (permalink)
windbag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omegara View Post
I'd go with the 08 electra if you can afford the $200. It has the reg which lets it run at 300 psi, a rail and on/off, can run on regular 9v's and the frame is aluminum instead of polymer like the new pilot.

Ooh that sounds good. We are treading into Fusion territory at that price, but it's still cheaper. Thanks for the tips guys! All very good info.

I am finding that bps isn't that important to me as well. I have a Mag which is my first semi (hadn't played since I was a pump only guy in the mid-90s), and I'm finding that it's ROF is way more than I need. Last round I played I got 5 shots off at one guy, and spent the rest of the time stalking (and being stalked, and ultimately getting sniped). Firefights are fun occasionally, but I'm more of a tactical guy. I just want to be able to hang when I need to. And I was hoping that electros were more reliable and chopped less paint.
marked74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 10:56 AM   #7 (permalink)
Flying Bunker Tagger

I'm just glad you want to stick with a Spyder!

The VS1's are nice, as are the Electras. The nice thing is that you can easily upgrade any of them. I would switch out and get a decent reg instead of the standard expansion chamber. It makes a world of difference. The FASTA loaders are also excellent if you plan on firing several rounds in full auto. A big problem with chopping occours when your loader can't keep up with the fire rate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painthappy View Post
God save the Mar!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gascolator View Post
You could put one of those kid leashes on super-cameron so he stays under control.....
super-cameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 04:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
Inch of Gold

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
PBN Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman08 View Post
hey whats up maybe you might know since you own a pilot why do i see stripped out pilots on ebay they sell the receiver and barrel no internals no trigger frame then you can find Spyder Pilot Parts all the internal parts (bolt striker ect) and the stock feed neck why do some pilot owners strip them out makes no sense i could see selling the barrel or the trigger frame and acs bolt beats me if you dont know its cool no big deal
Those are usually stores, specifically First Call Paintball, selling refurb bodies (body + barrel) or internals kits. You could actually build a new (refurb) 04 green Imagine or 05 red Pilot with everything but a grip frame for about $30 for quite a while, and still might be able to, just using those parts.
Old 06-05-2008, 07:25 PM   #9 (permalink)
550 for Fighters

Send a message via AIM to TheAznInvazn

Palmers Fan
You gotta love places liek FirstCall Paintball, you can get a lot of random parts that you can't get from other places, and they're cheap!
Old 06-07-2008, 08:15 AM   #10 (permalink)
Flying Bunker Tagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAznInvazn View Post
You gotta love places liek FirstCall Paintball, you can get a lot of random parts that you can't get from other places, and they're cheap!
They are good. I have used them several times. You can also call them to see if they have stuff you need, but can't find on the site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painthappy View Post
God save the Mar!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gascolator View Post
You could put one of those kid leashes on super-cameron so he stays under control.....
super-cameron is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Kingman