mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   Kingman (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/kingman/)
-   -   New Pilot ACS owner (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/kingman/5553-new-pilot-acs-owner.html)

Railgun 10-25-2006 12:16 AM

New Pilot ACS owner

Put in a lowball bid on the 'bay for a red and black Pilot ACS and ended up winning. So now I'm a Pilot owner.

It wasn't all just luck though. When looking at the Pilot in the stores and feeling the balance with a 12 oz CO2 bottle I was amazed at how it balanced right on the handle. Figured that it had to be nice in the heat of battle. But I'm just a newbie so I passed on it until I saw the one on the 'Bay for cheap and figured "why not?".

Backyard testing on CO2 tells me that at the very least I need an anti syphon tank and preferably an air tank. The trigger bounced on me for a good 8 or 10 shots and suddenly the thing was shooting more snow than paint. What paint did make it out was falling before it crossed the yard or was curving in some very odd paths. Once warmed up again it did fine until it started snowing again. I think I'll be adding a stronger spring to mine to help tame this bouncing action when the gun cocks each time. It's all but impossible to avoid geting at least one or two bounces.

But it DOES feel nice in the hand and shoots well. And I've got an air bottle coming now too.... DAMN that ebay temptress......

PS: and just another example of why ebay should not be allowed to tempt us from our money. I'm just waiting on delivery of a Piranha EVO with eyes and the upgraded reg coming in. Again I was the only bidder on this marker. $99 US plus shipping. Figured I'd add this in here as it's a Spyder clone and there's no PMI section... :D

Side by side pics and review to come.....

SuperHiQuality87 10-25-2006 12:36 AM

Woah. Lucky cat! I wish I had that kind of luck on the bay...

pics will be nice.

III

Railgun 11-06-2006 05:04 PM

I got a chance to play yesterday with both the Pilot AND the new Piranha EVO/eyes. Both rip really, really nicely. I was running both with a Zap gravity loader and a 68/4500 CA source.

The EVO feels nicer in the hands but it's a little heavier. The Pilot seems to be lighter but suffers from "boxy grip" syndrome. Even with gloves on it felt uncomfortable to hold. I'll be looking at options.

Phantom Power 11-06-2006 05:16 PM

Was it dumping rain in buckets over in Vancouver yesterday ?
Over here we had raindrops the size of paintballs.

Railgun 11-06-2006 11:00 PM

Tswassen actually started out with a bit of blue in the sky when I first got there but got progressively darker as the afternoon went on. Then it started drizzling for the last hour before everyone packed up and left about 4:15 or so.

But when you got yourself THREE new markers to try out and play with the sun is ALWAYS shining brightly. I think I was the last guy out there with about 20 balls in the hopper calling out to anyone with ammo left to get their butts back out and fight on like MEN.... :D

Railgun 11-07-2006 03:41 AM

Here's a shot of the three markers I tested out and played with yesterday.

Since this is the Kingman forum I put the Pilot at the top of the shot... :D The next one down is my new EVO with eyes. Then there's the lowly Piranha R6 that I originally got with the idea of making it into a pump. But I'm having so much fun with this one that I'm thinking I'll need to score another R6 for the mod.

Both the Pilot and the EVO felt much the same in use with the EVO feeling a touch heavier in the hands until battle was joined and then the few extra ounces were forgotten. Both can rip out a line of paint easily even for my non walking fingers and neither chopped a single ball all day. I went through 500 Draxxis X in play and testing. The R6 only ate up probably 100 to 120 of this at most. The rest passed through the two Emarkers.

As you see it here the R6 got a Smart Parts Linear 14 inch barrel on it and a 12 oz bottle. I'ts actually very light with excellent balance pretty much right on the grips. Very "rifle" like without the vertical bulk that the other two have when the HPA bottle and hopper is mounted up.

All three are great fun but in totally different ways with the Pilot and EVO being obviously similar more so than the R6. All three in the form you see in the pic are able to put the balls within a 12 inch circle at 120'ish feet. This fact came from shooting at the upper part of one of the narrow tree trunks between games. Good paint obviously makes a huge difference but there's no doubt that the barrel also counts for a LOT.

The R6 as shown is a better woods ball marker thanks to being lighter and slimmer but either of the two Emarkers is a wonderful way to lay down a sheet of paint to keep heads down. As I play more I'll figure out which one I keep picking up more and decide which ends up being sold to a more appreciative home.

I got my face mask a bit too close to the cocking bolt of the R6 at one point and got a BAP for it. I like the R6 setup as shown that I'm planning on making up or getting the slotted cocking pin similar to the one in the EVO. At the same time I'm looking at making up a delrin bolt to help lighten up the reciprocating mass and reduce the kick.

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/gallery/...ackMarkers.jpg