mcarterbrown.com  

Literature Books - What are you reading or writing? Share what you have also!

Old 12-19-2011, 01:59 PM   #11 (permalink)
on temporary hiatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allerstern View Post
The Enemy series. Cant remember the author.
Charlie Higson. Thanks, I'll check it out. Lots of books added to my library wishlist from this thread, keep it going, guys.

MarkT - I've been meaning to pick up MHI, but mostly because Correia is one of the few who managed to independently publish books for a while and then got brought into the traditional publishing market. Interested in him for that, see how good he is.

I can't dumb it down to your level because I'm scared of heights.

A shark is an animal that dies if it stops moving.

My feedback
usagi_tetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 03:00 PM   #12 (permalink)
Meek wizard

Send a message via ICQ to Ghostpilot Send a message via AIM to Ghostpilot Send a message via Skype™ to Ghostpilot

It may not be an actual book per definition... It is a graphic novel and that is one step above comics, twoards real books isn't it?
I am of course talking about "the walking dead". The graphic novel is way more cruel than the TV series is. I have the collectors edition hard cover books, volume 1 to 5 and I really like them.
What I both love and hate about this series is that there seem to be no end to the bad things that can happen to the characters once someone of them **** something up security wise..
It is a tribute to the slow moving zombies of old.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:47 PM   #13 (permalink)
weak sauce broseph.

The Walking Dead graphic novels are also pretty fun to read. The art is also very nice.

World War Z was a fantastic read. I literally couldn't wait until lunch every day at my office to crack it open and keep reading.

I Am Legend was a wonderful book. I credit this with igniting my interest in zombies around 5 years ago.
thekyleaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 05:04 AM   #14 (permalink)
Meek wizard

Send a message via ICQ to Ghostpilot Send a message via AIM to Ghostpilot Send a message via Skype™ to Ghostpilot

I haven't read "WWZ" nor "I am Legend". Based on the comments some of you here has made about them I am more or less obligated to pick them up and read them.

In my opinion there is not such a big gap between zombie fiction and post apocalyptic fiction. The zombies are just a threat among others. It's the interaction among the surviving humans that strikes a chord in my mind. Humanity at its worst.

The Endworld series of pulp fiction written by David Robbins is a good post apocalyptic read. A group of survuvalists, or descendants to survuvalists lives in a bunker built before WW3. The threat is those books aren't zombies, but other humans and radiated mutated animals mostly. Still a good read. Those book were even translated into Swedish back in the eighties.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:59 AM   #15 (permalink)
on temporary hiatus

Zombies have become the go to antagonists, because at the same time it's horrible to watch people you know and love turn into mindless, slavering cannibals, they are politically correct enough to use as villains because it's not the <insert gender/race/creed/nationality here> that are the bad guys. But you're right - most zombie fiction is post apocalyptic in one form or another.

Finally got around to reading the sequel to Feed by Mira Grant, Deadline, and I'm really liking it. I love how she spent the time to figure out what is causing the zombie-fication of humanity (and all other mammals over 40lbs in mass) and working with that to make plot and events. And the story of intrigue and thrills in a light apocalyptic world is very gripping.

My feedback
Old 01-09-2012, 12:59 PM   #16 (permalink)
Post Whore

Isn't I Am Legend about Vamps, not zombies? Never read the book, but did read the back cover.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:58 AM   #17 (permalink)
on temporary hiatus

You could argue that vampires are just zombies with brains - they both bite you to turn you into one of them, they're both the dead risen anew, they both like the dark (for zombies, it's easier hunting us breathers in the dark), and they're both killed again in only specific ways.

Just finished up Deadline by Mira Grant, and she ended it on a double-whammy cliffhanger. Trust me folks, if you're looking for good zombie books, this one and its predecessor, Feed, are well worth the read. And the final of the trilogy is supposed to be out in the next 6 months.

I also read Cherie Priest's Dreadnought, which has more in common (zombie-wise) with the first of the series, Boneshaker, than the 2nd book did. Looking forward to the next one, Ganymede. They're mostly steampunk books, but they do have some good zombie bits in them.

And thanks to you fine brain-munchers, I've got more than a few others to check out in the coming months. Keep the suggestions coming, folks, I'm enjoying it immensely.

My feedback
Old 01-14-2012, 11:17 AM   #18 (permalink)
MCB Member

I'm going to go against the grain here. I read Priest's Boneshaker (on advice from MCB) and just tried to read Grant's Feed and didn't like either. I like my zombies apocalyptic a la Romero genre. Meaning they have to be everywhere and multiplying, with no real safe havens.

The problems I had with both of the above series was that zombies are just background nuisances that are "managed". They are walled off is some city, with life going on as normal for everyone else outside. This means the threat of the zombies is largely self-inflicted on the protagonists. They can choose to not go into the zombified areas and encounter no ill effects or they can be "that guy" who goes into the dark basement with a candle when they hear a strange noise instead of calling in the authorities and pulling out the 12 gauge.

When the zombie apocalypse hits in December, there will be NO safe places!

Last edited by RusskiX; 01-15-2012 at 09:48 AM.
RusskiX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 11:54 AM   #19 (permalink)
when in doubt EBD

among the living
lzr 1143 infection
lzr 1143 evolution

World war Z was FANTASTIC for me. love that book.

And ive heard good things about day by day armegeddon

914 Dogs of War (Major)

Aztec Warriors scenario team Texas
Member of Land Sharks

I do home lending in Texas. Need a house let me know if nothing else its free advice.
seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:15 PM   #20 (permalink)
migrant bomb picking....

Quote:
Originally Posted by acesn8s View Post
Isn't I Am Legend about Vamps, not zombies? Never read the book, but did read the back cover.
Yes and No. The vampires in the book act more or less like zombies, but with the stereotypical stake to the heart type stuff. The book is unlike any zombie/vampire story you have ever read. Although it probably doesn't need to be said it's practically nothing like the movie.
Mr. Hick is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Literature