mcarterbrown.com

Literature Books - What are you reading or writing? Share what you have also!

Old 12-15-2011, 12:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
idiots spring eternal

zombie books

Ah yes, books about zombies. Been reading a few over the last year or two, and thought I'd share my impressions of them and see what you guys have been reading, maybe pick up some good ones that I've missed and suggest to you guys good ones as well.

Max Brooks's The Zombie Survival Guide and World War Z - these are good. The Guide is just that, a guide as if zombies were real and met a certain set of rules (slow zombies, caused by an infection), how to detect the beginnings of infestation, and how to survive the subsequent zombpocalypse. World War Z is a fiction documentary novel (like they shot a documentary movie of the zombpocalypse, and then turned it into book form) of a zombie apocalypse with the rules from the Guide. This is a lot better than you think, though very disjointed and appealing only if you like documentaries to begin with.

Stephen King's Cell - what if an electronics experiment sent a signal to every cell phone in the world, and if you were on the phone at that time, it turned you into a zombie? Good premise, but, imho, not one of King's better works. It's creepy, it's well written, but I don't like the way he went with it. Still, if you're a King fan, this is a zombie novel you need to add to your collection.

Brian Keene's City of the Dead, The Rising, and Dead Sea - City and Rising are a 2-book series, and Sea was a standalone. I liked the premise in the first 2 (demons possess dead animals to wipe out all life on the road to existence ceasing in the end times) because it was different than what you normally see, but overall, I don't recommend these books unless you are hard up for some zombie novels. They're okay, but there are better ones out there, and I hate down endings.

David Wellington's Monster series (Monster Island, Nation, and Planet) - pretty interesting, with a twist on some of the zombies. Not the best out there, but worth a month of reading just to see the ending.

Carrie Ryan's Forest of Hands and Teeth - good YA book, and the beginning of a series that is about 2/3rds out, but after reading the first one, I didn't really feel the need to read the others (she makes it hard to like the protagonist). Good for a light read.

Cherie Priest's Boneshaker - this is the beginning of a steampunk series that has 4 books already out and more on the way. So far, this is the only book I know that has zombies in it in this series, but I'm really liking the series, and the way she handles the zekes in Boneshaker (called Rotters) is interesting. Definitely worth a read if you like zombies or steampunk or both.

Mira Grant's Feed - this is easily my favorite of the lot: George Romero's movies taught the world how to survive the zombpocalypse, so we did. This is a story of the after times, when the humans have survived, but so have the zekes. The zombie infection is well thought out and consistent, and the characters react to them intelligently when they have time and in panic mode when they don't. And it's the start of a trilogy, with the first two out (only read the first myself, getting the 2nd book soon), and the third due out next June.

Anyone else reading zombie books? What do you think of them? What do you suggest for other reads?

I can't dumb it down to your level because I'm scared of heights.

A shark is an animal that dies if it stops moving.

My feedback
usagi_tetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 03:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
migrant bomb picking....

You sir, forgot about I am legend by Richard Matheson. A much, much better book than the twisted, useless movie!
Mr. Hick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 09:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
idiots spring eternal

Have not read that one yet, but will add it to the list of future reads, thanks.

Anyone else?

My feedback
Old 12-18-2011, 10:32 AM   #4 (permalink)
Post Whore

I picked up World War Z. Do I need to read Survival Guide first?

"the evidence strongly suggests that neither Billy nor Adam (Smart Parts) could have invented the electronic paintgun" -Garr M. King, U.S. Judge
HP_Lovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 10:46 AM   #5 (permalink)
won't look at the camera

Fan of EMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hick View Post
You sir, forgot about I am legend by Richard Matheson. A much, much better book than the twisted, useless movie!
This is the book that started it all. Its what inspired romero, and its basically the birth of the zombie genre. That damn will smith Movie got the whole thing backwards. Totally missed the point of the title.

"But if somebody left you out on a ledge, If somebody pushed you over the edge, If somebody loved you and left you for dead,
You got to hold on to your time till you break through these times of trouble"
Temple of the Dog
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironnerd88 View Post
Tournament play is about the worst spectator sport out there. I would rather watch Synchronized Dungeons & Dragons.

My Feedback: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/s...3932#post13932
Chappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 12:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
Post Whore

Ya, the entire end of the book was completely missing from the movie. Though I liked the movie. I was originally disappointed that they strayed so far from the material, but the seens of an empty, creepy NYC was wonderfull, and watching Will Smith deteriorate was well done.

It was just nothing like the book. I remember my wife asking me what the title meant after we watched the movie... and I had to start going over the book ending...

"the evidence strongly suggests that neither Billy nor Adam (Smart Parts) could have invented the electronic paintgun" -Garr M. King, U.S. Judge
HP_Lovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 12:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
Just Some Guy

Monster Hunter International isn't about zombies but it has some good zombie stuff in it. They have different types of zombies, not just the typical "Saturday morning really hung over" kind.

My Feedback
MarkT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 01:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
Every Dog has its Day

Send a message via AIM to netsurferdude2 Send a message via Skype™ to netsurferdude2

World War Z is my favorite zombie book to date.

In second place: Day By Day Armageddon by J. L. Bourne. This one is written as a personal journal of a guy trying to survive. Its a short read with only 200 pages.
When I worked in the county prison, all my pals among the correctional officer staff were always talking about how they needed a large(r) caliber handgun in case they were confronted by someone on "PCP" or "Angel dust".

Now... all they talk about is zombies.
netsurferdude2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 05:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
idiots spring eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP_Lovecraft View Post
I picked up World War Z. Do I need to read Survival Guide first?
Nope, not necessary. But it is a good read.

My feedback
Old 12-18-2011, 05:31 PM   #10 (permalink)
McStabby

The Enemy series. Cant remember the author.

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Allerstern is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Literature