mcarterbrown.com  

Literature Books - What are you reading or writing? Share what you have also!

Old 12-16-2011, 09:38 AM   #1 (permalink)
migrant bomb picking....

The once a year book? Who has one, and what is it?

I'm fairly certain that I'm not the only individual that has a few books that I consider a MUST read at least once a year.. Just looking to see what books everyone else cherishes enough to read often!

I'll start it off with the 2 that I love:

Starship Troopers - Robert A. Heinlein

and

First Blood - David Morrell

Lets hear what ya got!
Mr. Hick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 12:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Post Whore

Moby Dick. That book seriously ruined literature for me... I really don't think that there is, or will be, another book that is so meticulously crafted. Moby Dick is the most influential, informative and creative tome of awesome that I have ever read.

Cormac McCarthy's The Road is also a very easy and very quick read that I have read several times and have only owned the book for two years. It's definitely the most emotional book I have read.

Huck Finn. It is the only book that I have finished and then immediately started to read again.

I consistently read a lot of H.P. Lovecraft, he mostly writes short stories, but I read through one of his collections multiple times a year.

I also read The Fellowship of the Ring all the time.

And The Old Man and The Sea. It has become tradition for me on the first warm, dry, sunny day of spring to go sit in the woods and read it from cover to cover.
StealingYerMail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 01:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Freelance Aphorist

CCM Fan
Definitely, The Lord of the Rings. Such good literature on so many levels. I know Tolkien said it wasn't allegorical, but there's always something new to find.

Gates of Fire by Stephen Pressfield. Probably the best study on leadership I have found. And I think he is correct in saying that the opposite of fear is not "fearlessness", but love.

Cryptomonicon by Neal Stephenson. A great adventure, wonderfully sardonic pose, and absolutely hilarious.

Interesting Times by Terry Pratchett. My favorite Discworld novel.

Yes, eclectic and idiosyncratic. But there they are.
Old 12-16-2011, 01:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Post Whore

I have several. To me a good book needs to be read several times. A few in regular rotation for me are King's The Stand and the Dark Tower series, not to mention the LOTR books.

Feedback: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=12439

My other passion: http://www.cameroncanine.com
Dave Cameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 01:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
Straight 6 DID Bust!

Kermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 02:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
that escalated quickly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hick View Post
First Blood - David Morrell
Excellent choice.
One of my top 5 favorites of all time. I first read that book about 10 years ago & have read it again twice. Different from the movie, particularly the ending.

I don't have many books that I read again though. I usually move onto another book.

"It sure would be nice if we got a day off for the president's birthday, like they do for the queen. Of course, then we would have a lot of people voting for a candidate born on July 3 or December 26, just for the long weekends." [Jack Handy]

MCB Feedback
magnificent7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 03:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
migrant bomb picking....

I find that with the ever changing parts of my life, thus the ever changing types of books/stories/non-fiction I read. For example I took pretty much this year out of my life to read as many books and I could find on Afghanistan, which has finally made some sense of the things I saw and dealt with while there. I've read all of the current awesome books ie LOTR and Hobbit, plus the Inheritance series, harry pot head and on and on and on. but I read both first blood and starship troopers back when I was in early high school and haven't been able to go more than about 6 months without reading them again and again!
Mr. Hick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 04:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
Post Whore

Douglas Adams- I'll reread one of his books every year. Its such a shame that he died so young. Same for Lovecraft.

Not long ago I had reread "Salmon of Doubt". Adams died while writting it, so only the FIRST HALF of the rough draft has been published. It ends just as things start getting really good, so its fun to imagine how it would have progressed.

Other books I'll often read again every year: Angelas Ashes, and Into the Wild.

"the evidence strongly suggests that neither Billy nor Adam (Smart Parts) could have invented the electronic paintgun" -Garr M. King, U.S. Judge
HP_Lovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 04:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
King of the OFG

Send a message via MSN to Robertsr

Kilt Fan
How about several times a year...

The books of the Liaden Universe are my 100% top favorite books EVER.

www.korval.com

Great space opera with a (sorry guys) romantic edge that really humanizes the stories. What started out as a single and a duology, is now something like 10-12 books heading both temporal directions from the stories of the first 3.

Literally the only books that bring me to tears every time I read them.

FEEDBACK
Robertsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 06:18 PM   #10 (permalink)
Man in Tights

Wheel of Time is pretty good...I find I don't so much re-read stuff as find great new series and keep all the books so I can go back and re-read or share. Though I tend to re-read entire series just before a "new" book comes out so I remember everything.
cdrinkh20 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Literature