mcarterbrown.com  

Literature Books - What are you reading or writing? Share what you have also!

Old 10-31-2012, 11:40 PM   #301 (permalink)
Post Whore

Halfway through American Gods, a very good read so far. It seems soooo much longer than it is. And thats not a bad thing, Neil Gaiman really is a good writer. I shall be picking up more of his works after this.

When I was wondering around Kingston, I picked up An Existentialist Theology by John Macquarrie at an old Used Bookstore. It brought back my interest in Existential philosophy and I also grabbed a copy of Basic Writings of Existentialism by Gordon Marino from Indigo, as well as Ready Player One by Ernest Cline, heard it was pretty good (at least I think this is the one I think it is).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Death View Post
We can always hack and mold it the way we want it. This is MCB after all....
gunman_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:56 PM   #302 (permalink)
Post Whore

Just finished salvations reach from the Gaunt's ghosts series in the 40k universe. Did anyone feel like this book was short and ended abruptly?
Aka "wagz" on the field
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Keebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:58 AM   #303 (permalink)
Post Whore

The Strain by Guillermo del Toro and Chuck Hogan.

A plane lands at JFK and mysteriously 'goes dark', stopping in the middle of the runway for no apparent reason, all lights off, all doors sealed. The pilots cannot be raised. When the hatch above the wing finally clicks open, it soon becomes clear that everyone on board is dead -- although there is no sign of any trauma or struggle. Ephraim Goodweather and his team from the Center for Disease Control must work quickly to establish the cause of this strange occurrence before panic spreads. The first thing they discover is that four of the victims are actually still alive. But that's the only good news. And when all two hundred corpses disappear from various morgues around the city on the same night, things very rapidly get worse. Soon Eph and a small band of helpers will find themselves battling to protect not only their own loved ones, but the whole city, against an ancient threat to humanity.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:23 AM   #304 (permalink)
chuff chuff

Send a message via AIM to Hobbes

I just finished "The Little Stranger", a gothic ghost story. I think I spent most of the book waiting for something good to happen.
Hobbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:33 AM   #305 (permalink)
idiots spring eternal

I'm 2/3rds of the way through the last book of Harry Turtledove's "what if the South actually managed to secede in the Civil War?" 11-book series, Settling Accounts: In at the Death. If you are a history/military buff, this series is one you want to read. It's a little odd because the 4 books in the Settling Accounts part of the series cover WW2 in this alternate history, and while I've been reading these, I've also been reading Hugh Ambrose's The Pacific on my Kindle (one physical book and one ebook going at all times), which covers America's actions in the Pacific theater in the real WW2. Yeah, I'm switching between fact and fiction for the same time period, a little hard to keep it all straight, but entertaining as hell.

What's up after the alternate and actual history books are done? Well, I'll be jumping into Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series in preparation for its last book (coming out this winter!), but between big series from my own shelves, I've recently made it a habit to pull something short from the local library, and depending on when I end this book and what's available that day, I'll go with Daniel Suarez's works - Daemon, Freedom(TM), and Kill Decision - or one of Jonathan Maberry's zombie series - the Joe Ledger series or the Benny Imura series. And on the Kindle, probably dive back into David Weber's Honor Harrington series, which I left off just before book 6, Honor Among Enemies.

I can't dumb it down to your level because I'm scared of heights.

A shark is an animal that dies if it stops moving.

My feedback
usagi_tetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 02:10 PM   #306 (permalink)
Miembro de MCB

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunman_2000 View Post
as well as Ready Player One by Ernest Cline, heard it was pretty good (at least I think this is the one I think it is).
"Ready Player One" is definitely a fun read, especially if you grew up during the 80's.
alkafluence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:47 PM   #307 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkafluence View Post
"Ready Player One" is definitely a fun read, especially if you grew up during the 80's.
I knew thats the one I thought it was.....83' and up here
GAME ON.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Death View Post
We can always hack and mold it the way we want it. This is MCB after all....
gunman_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:21 AM   #308 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunman_2000 View Post
I knew thats the one I thought it was.....83' and up here
GAME ON.
Queue up some Rush while you are reading.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:16 PM   #309 (permalink)
that escalated quickly

I just finished another Mark Bowden book, The Best Game Ever.

The book is about the 1958 NFL Championship Game between the NY Giants & (then) Baltimore Colts. It was the first Championship game broadcast on TV and the first & only Championship game to go into sudden death overtime.

The game also featured 17 players & coaches that eventually made it into the NFL Hall of Fame and really increased the overall exposure & popularity of the NFL to what it is today.

An Excellent Book. Unless you don't like football.

"The Miss Universe pageant is fixed. All the winners are from Earth." [Woody Paige]

MCB Feedback
magnificent7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:03 PM   #310 (permalink)
Four-eyed Freak

"The Borrowers Avenged"... To my 4-year-old at bed time...

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Literature

« zombie books | - »