mcarterbrown.com  

Literature Books - What are you reading or writing? Share what you have also!

Old 04-15-2013, 05:26 PM   #371 (permalink)
playing with old toys

I figured it was time to re-read 1984, about halfway through now.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:29 PM   #372 (permalink)
MCB Member

AKA Fan
Finished books 1 -4 in A Song of Fire and Ice by George R. R. Martin and am onto Speaker for the Dead now by Orson Scott Card

Jaccen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:58 AM   #373 (permalink)
Post Whore

Started reading Shogun by Clavell. Excellent novel. I think I'm going to have to check Netflix to see if the mini series is available.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:43 PM   #374 (permalink)
that escalated quickly

Quote:
Originally Posted by acesn8s View Post
Started reading Shogun by Clavell. Excellent novel. I think I'm going to have to check Netflix to see if the mini series is available.
I too have read Shogun-about 9 years ago. The book is excellent & I went out & bought the mini-series on DVD after reading it.

If you haven't noticed it already... at the beginning of the book, the author shows when lots of the characters are speaking Japanese by actually writing out their dialogue in Japanese & then gives you the translation in the next sentence or paragraph.

Well towards the end of the book sometimes he stops giving translations for when the Japanese characters are talking short sentences. I guess he figured the reader would be able to pick up enough Japanese throughout the story by that part to understand (I guess I'm a little slow). So I actually had to make a crib sheet with lots of basic translations just so I knew what the hell the characters were actually saying.

But still a great book!

"The Miss Universe pageant is fixed. All the winners are from Earth." [Woody Paige]

MCB Feedback
magnificent7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 04:08 PM   #375 (permalink)
boo
Banned

Finished reading while mortals sleep, I'm another huge Vonnegut fan and these were some good stories.

A coworker had a William Gibson book in his desk he didn't have the time to read so I just finished that, Zero History. I liked some of Gibson's first novels but Zero History was pretty stupid. I guess I'll go back to reading the classics.

Last edited by boo; 04-19-2013 at 04:16 PM.
boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 04:39 PM   #376 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnificent7 View Post
I too have read Shogun-about 9 years ago. The book is excellent & I went out & bought the mini-series on DVD after reading it.

If you haven't noticed it already... at the beginning of the book, the author shows when lots of the characters are speaking Japanese by actually writing out their dialogue in Japanese & then gives you the translation in the next sentence or paragraph.

Well towards the end of the book sometimes he stops giving translations for when the Japanese characters are talking short sentences. I guess he figured the reader would be able to pick up enough Japanese throughout the story by that part to understand (I guess I'm a little slow). So I actually had to make a crib sheet with lots of basic translations just so I knew what the hell the characters were actually saying.

But still a great book!
Thanks for the heads up. I'll have to keep from skipping the Japanese and only reading the translations.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:42 PM   #377 (permalink)
on temporary hiatus

Got done with another Honorverse book by David Weber, and after an "interesting" discussion with 2 of my coworkers who tried to disprove the big bang theory (not the TV show) by using Newton's 3 laws of motion, I decided it was time to read some actual science and started in on Neil deGrasse Tyson's Death by Black Hole.

*hint* - if you didn't do so hot in high school algebra, don't try to disprove popular scientific theories with other scientific theories you can't fully describe with math in the first place...

I can't dumb it down to your level because I'm scared of heights.

A shark is an animal that dies if it stops moving.

My feedback
usagi_tetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:43 PM   #378 (permalink)
Fantasy Hockey Chump

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
RTP Fan
The Third Option by Vince Flynn 2nd book in the Mitch Rapp series.

My MCB Feedback
Long Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:04 PM   #379 (permalink)
Memento mori.

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
I just found the Kindle editions of the two first Honor Harrington series books (On Basilisk Station and The Honor of the Queen) by David Weber free on Amazon. I have heard good things so I am going to start reading right now with my lunch!
Finnigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:45 PM   #380 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaccen View Post
Finished books 1 -4 in A Song of Fire and Ice by George R. R. Martin and am onto Speaker for the Dead now by Orson Scott Card
I hated all of the Ender books after the first one. He gets so obvious about his religious analogies and negativity towards it all. I am not a religious person but there comes a point where it's just beating a dead horse.
Rancid1845 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Literature