mcarterbrown.com  

Literature Books - What are you reading or writing? Share what you have also!

Old 12-21-2013, 05:30 PM   #421 (permalink)
The Style

Send a message via Skype™ to D. Stijl

As of recently I am reading "Remembrance of the Daleks" by Ben Aaronovitch, a novelization of a Doctor Who episode by the same name, "Nationalism in Ireland" by D. George Boyce, and "The Politics of James Bond: From Fleming's Novels to the Big Screen" by Jeremy Black. It's a good mix of fiction, critique, and non-fiction. I look forward to seeing what Christmas will provide me.
D. Stijl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 12:35 PM   #422 (permalink)
Post Whore

My friend ordered some more Drizzt books and had them sent to my house to read first (how nice of him)..I'm 3/4 of the way through book 7, the Legacy (just started today).

Short good, pulpy kind of fantasy stories. Reads well but man now that I think of it, a huge difference between Name of the Wind and this.

So I'll plow through these books and find something else I suppose. I hope Rothfuss's third book comes out soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Death View Post
We can always hack and mold it the way we want it. This is MCB after all....
gunman_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 01:59 PM   #423 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via MSN to foldadoom

Command and control, Eric SchlosserÖ..a terrifying read of atomic and hydrogen bomb development through the 40ís,-80's and all fantastic accidents and mishaps you would never have thought possible, (hummm maybe not a Christmas read) all I can say is itís a miracle we are still alive today, and the Davey Crocket rifle was a badddddd idea.
Old 12-26-2013, 09:59 AM   #424 (permalink)
playing with old toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven_Spinosa View Post
Good Omens. LOVING IT.
I love Terry Pratchett's writings, what a hilarious author, poor Crowley's Bentley with the James Bond bullet hole in the windshield sticker. I have Good Omens in the original 1990 release hard cover' plus I also have all the Disk World books that have been published.

Doh; Currently I'm reading Red Star Rogue, it's about the sinking of a Russian Golf II missile sub off Hawaii in 1968 and piecing the story and cover up behind it.

Last edited by kevdupuis; 12-26-2013 at 10:06 AM.
kevdupuis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 07:53 PM   #425 (permalink)
that escalated quickly

For Christmas, I got the book, Gunny's Rules by R. Lee Ermey (the U.S. Marine/Actor from the movie, Full Metal Jacket & the History Channel's Mail Call).

I read over half of it yesterday. It is pretty interesting. It is part autobiography & part "self help" book. Ooorah!

"The Miss Universe pageant is fixed. All the winners are from Earth." [Woody Paige]

MCB Feedback
magnificent7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 05:35 PM   #426 (permalink)
that escalated quickly

Well I finished Gunny's Rules last week. It was good.

Now I am reading The Garner Files by James Garner. It is an autobiography by the actor James Gardner (from such shows as Maverick, The Rockford Files & lots of other movies). I always liked & could relate to many of the characters he played.

"The Miss Universe pageant is fixed. All the winners are from Earth." [Woody Paige]

MCB Feedback
magnificent7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 06:01 PM   #427 (permalink)
random probability waves

Brass N Wood Fan
I just read a book called 'Ella Minnow Pea' that was really good. Read it cover to cover on a 5hr flight

I also read another Cherie Priest steampunk novel called 'Clementine', and it was a fun read

currently I am re-reading 'Ilium' by Dan Simmons (while also reading 'Hyperion', also by him). Good book, great sci-fi
TANSTAAFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpy
here's your chance to be cool like Don
Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpy
don is on the path to everlasting coolness
Quote:
Originally Posted by DashHopes
OMG boobs, beers and Chad Thompson. Nothing could be better.
Bored383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 03:45 AM   #428 (permalink)
Post Whore

went on a pretty huge book buying spree last week.
Monday picked up Prince of Thorns (finished it), Alloy of Law, Wheel of Time book 1 (Finally broke down and started), Hitch Hikers Guide (gf ended up giving me the whole boxed set though).

Went back again a few days later and got King of Thorns (reading now, sadly Emperor of Thorns is still in hardcover :/) and the trilogy book of Fionavar Tapestry by Guy Gavriel Kay as recommended by one of the staff.

Was very tempted to to get the huge collection of Conan stories too...maybe next time.

Prince of Thorns:
A very fluid and quick read I found, I started off wondering how the hell I'm going to grow attached to the main character, hes a total ***. And I'm not going to say you grow too attached to him over the book, but he does grow as a character. And I think thats what keeps you interested in him. There are a lot of interesting tidbits about the world. It is NOT quite what you think when you look at the cover and read the first handful of chapters.

I'm quite looking forward to finishing King of Thorns and hopefully getting a total view of everything when I can get the final book of the trilogy.

Also, as soon as I can find my Kobo gift cards, I'm going to get the Way of Kings sequal by Brandon Sanderson. It's finally out, and huge again. Still waiting for Patrick Rothfuss's 3rd book tho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Death View Post
We can always hack and mold it the way we want it. This is MCB after all....
gunman_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 09:14 AM   #429 (permalink)
Memento mori.

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
I have been working on the Honor Harrington books mostly, with a smattering of cheap or free kindle stuff in between. Actually just finished a Fantasy novel by David Webber called War God I think. I enjoyed it.
Finnigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 09:43 AM   #430 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

Read the Ring World series the past three weeks. I had bought Ringworld's Children when if first came out but never read it because I didn't have The Ringworld Throne. Anyways I finally got around to reading all of them uninterrupted. I'm actually happy with the way Niven ended the series.

Then hit the library and picked up two books by Ace Atkins novels and a Spenser novel that I hadn't read yet.

E
Schmitti is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Literature