mcarterbrown.com  

Literature Books - What are you reading or writing? Share what you have also!

Old 02-27-2013, 10:41 AM   #61 (permalink)
on temporary hiatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget_ View Post
I misjudged re-reading the whole series and finished back in November - which leaves me with a dilemma, do I get the hardback of Memory of light now, just to finish the damn series, or wait until October to get the paperback which matches all the other books I've purchased, by which time I'll have probably forgotten what happened in 13. Gah!
Get it from your local public library now to finish it off, then buy it in October to complete the set, because you know you'll read it again (eventually).

I'm almost done with book 4. This one started real slow and really didn't pick up for me 'til the halfway point, so I've been reading a lot of David Weber on my Kindle instead. I know, I know, but it's a marathon, not a sprint, I'll get through it eventually.

I can't dumb it down to your level because I'm scared of heights.

A shark is an animal that dies if it stops moving.

My feedback
usagi_tetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:12 PM   #62 (permalink)
MCB Member

I finished the final book last month in a marathon session and it wasn't terrible but given the level of expectation and that there were so many threads and subplots that had to be tied up it's a miracle that it turned out as well as it did. Without spoiling too much I wasn't too happy with how it ended everything seemed like a quick and dirty compromise but ultimately all the odd tangents the story has gone on were actually of value to the story and best of all unlike every other WOT book when I turned the last page there had finally been some plot resolution.
Agglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:34 PM   #63 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agglet View Post
there had finally been some plot resolution.
so, is this the last book?

i was given my first WOT book in 94' and since i read every jordan "conan" novel, i figured it had to be good, right?!?

past & present http://www.freewebs.com/non-inflammable/

my feedback: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html

Barack Hussein Obama = Biggest Fraud Ever Perpetrated Upon the American People

freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:21 AM   #64 (permalink)
on temporary hiatus

Yup, A Memory of Light is the last book in the series. It finally came out, 23 years after it all started.

My feedback
Old 02-28-2013, 09:23 AM   #65 (permalink)

AKA Fan
Well, it's not quite the last book.

They're going to release an encyclopedia. I think it's going to be like the Similarion was for Tolkien.
It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat. - Theodore Roosevelt

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Millar156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 04:31 PM   #66 (permalink)
on temporary hiatus

Someone in the gaming section posted up some WoT filk songs - World of Tanks, not Wheel of Time like I originally translated that acronym. So I went and found some over on the Tube of You. Enjoy!

I'm just starting up book 8, and planning on taking a break with something more modern after I'm done with this one, probably a zombie book. And then I'll jump into the prequel, New Spring, before getting back into book 9.

My feedback
Old 05-19-2013, 05:06 PM   #67 (permalink)
Sic Itur Ad Astra

Send a message via MSN to Falcon16 Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon16

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Awesome song. Even having not read the WoT series the song is well sung and well put together and I love the feel of it

Feedback +34/-0
Click here to email me
My youtube channel
My downsizing/cleaning house sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApoC_101 View Post
Pump paintball is cheaper than any drug habit I've ever heard of.
Falcon16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 11:35 PM   #68 (permalink)
Nerd

Send a message via AIM to Diomedes

I know it's been 13 months, but I'm going necromancer on this thread. I'm just about done with book 13. One to go. I started the series in January, with the prequel. I should wrap it all up in a week or so. Overall, I've enjoyed it, and there have been a few "WOW" moments, some of which were pretty awesome and unexpected. I won't say more.
"Integrity is doing what's right, even if nobody is looking." My MCB feedback

Last edited by Diomedes; 06-28-2014 at 11:54 PM.
Diomedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 03:17 PM   #69 (permalink)
Photo Guru

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
I started my freshman year of college back in '97. On my second re-read now though I haven't been able to read as much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
chopper duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 09:54 AM   #70 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass N Wood Fan
RTP Fan
I should re-read this series. I started reading them when they came out and I think I ended with book 7, at that time I got into acting, directing and producing and stopped reading and never got back into the series. Time to dig out the books.

http://feedback.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI...ab=AllFeedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gascolator View Post
DashHopes has a nelspot that has internals that were polished by Chuck Norris, using only his beard to polish them.
That nelspot never needs lube, shoots 2,000 ball per second, never needs reloaded, doesn't require an air source and when the paintball hits somebody the result is the same as if Chuck Norris round house kicked them.
He nick named the gun Reggie.
RIP
"heinous"
2006-2014
DashHopes is online now   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Literature