mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   Literature (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/literature/)
-   -   Wheel of Time Series (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/literature/187490-wheel-time-series.html)

chopper duke 01-06-2012 04:38 PM

Wheel of Time Series

Rather than continue to derail the "currently reading" thread, I thought I'd start another one for the discussion of all things Wheel of Time related.

Books, characters, story lines, etc.

Here's a great link provided by Acesn8s:
http://encyclopaedia-wot.org/

Agglet 01-06-2012 04:51 PM

I read them all again from the beginning at the start of summer and I found I didn't like them as much as I remembered. They started off great but after around book 4 the series started to really bog down with all the description and minor characters. If Jordan had spent less time describing clothing the characters were wearing or their hairstyles he could have actually finished the series years before he died. He painted a great picture with all his descriptions but there is nothing wrong with leaving something up to the reader's imagination.

pk5 01-06-2012 05:51 PM

I feel that the last few book of the series were quite a disappointment. The first book was great, then it was all down hill from there.

Luckless 01-06-2012 08:38 PM

I really enjoyed it up until around book 6 or 7 I think. After that I basically read the rest that were printed at the time simply because "well, I put this much effort into it. I may as well keep going to find out what happens."

Little did I know that at the time that Winter's Heart (Last published when I started the series) was closer to the middle of the series than it was to the end. I only have up to Crossroads of Twilight currently, and I'll likely reread the entire series after the final book gets published.

I really think I should start sticking to dead authors.

comovartia 01-08-2012 05:46 PM

Tried to read it a few times but just could not get into them.

chopper duke 01-08-2012 06:00 PM

It took me a few tries to get into them but once I finished book one the first time I was eager to jump into #2.

shadow_772 01-08-2012 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Agglet (Post 2153745)
I read them all again from the beginning at the start of summer and I found I didn't like them as much as I remembered. They started off great but after around book 4 the series started to really bog down with all the description and minor characters. If Jordan had spent less time describing clothing the characters were wearing or their hairstyles he could have actually finished the series years before he died. He painted a great picture with all his descriptions but there is nothing wrong with leaving something up to the reader's imagination.

I couldn't agree more.. I forced myself to make it to ten, but I couldn't go on...

Tugboater203 01-08-2012 11:40 PM

I think I gave up after 8 or 9. It was 400 pages of character/plot development and then a big battle. In the end theplot line only moved about a year. It just dragged on. My proud moment was getting farther then my wife who started the series when it was supposed to be a trilogy.

dundadun 01-09-2012 12:37 AM

Fiance wants me to read it, and to reread it herself. She apparently got really into it years ago, and had the books full of tabs and notes to keep track of what was going on. But now can't remember where she is even at. Her biggest complaint though is that the author wrote some of the most badass women she has ever read, and then turned them all into domestic housewives.

Tugboater203 01-09-2012 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dundadun (Post 2156666)
Fiance wants me to read it, and to reread it herself. She apparently got really into it years ago, and had the books full of tabs and notes to keep track of what was going on. But now can't remember where she is even at. Her biggest complaint though is that the author wrote some of the most badass women she has ever read, and then turned them all into domestic housewives.

See I would argue that Jordan wrote some really cool women and men and made all the men into wussies to be controlled by the women. You know like real life.