mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   Literature (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/literature/)
-   -   Emergency, need books and book suggestions (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/literature/205512-emergency-need-books-book-suggestions.html)

wrongbloke 06-15-2012 12:38 AM

Emergency, need books and book suggestions

So my advisor in her infinite "wisdom" has decided that rather than write Internet access into her field project budget that she would rather "disconnect" for an entire month, regardless of the desires of anyone else. The undergrads will be fine with their parents paying for their smart phones, but m going to be at a loss for entertainment.

I do have an iPad but can't afford 3G (with my wife heading back to school in fall I have to save $$). However, I might as well use the time to catch up on recreational reading so I'm asking for a favor. If you've got books in.pdf format I would love to increase my library on my iPad. Just pm me and I can give you my email. If you have links (I love stuff in the public domain) I would appreciate that too, just post them here.

Below are some genres Im interested in (but surprise me if you've got a must read):
-sci fi
-historical non-fiction
-existentialist philosophy
-19th century literature
-Russian literature (pre revolution and soviet period)
-anything remotely steam or cyber-punk
-anthropology/archaeology
-photography
-comedic literature

Things Im not into:
-partisan politics of any stripe
-hippie ****
-religious stuff
-self help

Thanks!

usagi_tetsu 06-17-2012 08:27 PM

Go get some modern, free, and legal e-books at Baen's website and Cory Doctorow's website.

mrmag11 06-17-2012 08:31 PM

Don't forget, in case this is of interest, but most literary "classics" are free on iTunes. So far I've read Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, War of the Worlds, Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde and downloaded a few others.

Delta 047 06-17-2012 08:37 PM

His Dark Materials. amazing sci-fi series, arguably my favorite trilogy of all time.

acesn8s 06-22-2012 02:06 PM

Project Gutenberg will give you access to d/l anything over 80 years old I believe.

HP_Lovecraft 06-24-2012 11:40 AM

Go get a free library card at your local library. Most libraries are now part of the overdrive network, which allow you to download, FOR FREE, ebooks, and audiobooks that would otherwise cost $20-40.

The catch is that you are supposed to delete them after you use them. (it is a library after all).

Anyway, as for suggestions, I love sci-fi/fantasy. I've read through the entire ringworld series. Good stuff. Also the Codex Alera series by Jim Butcher (along with his Desden files). Plus you have the standard Frank Herbert, Orson Scott Card, Asimov, Bradbury, Gibson, etc group. Anything they have written is readable.

Personally I love dystopian scifi. I'm ashamed to admit I just read through the Hunger Games trilogy. But better then I expected.

tiny 06-24-2012 12:33 PM

I've got every battletech novel in pdf format if that interests you. It's about 192mb worth of stuff.

edit: Also Warhammer 40K rule books

stircrazzzy 06-24-2012 02:18 PM

pm inbound. :)

Kmak 12-10-2012 03:51 PM

If your into existentialism, I highly recommend vaunaguts slaughter house 5.

Marmaduke 12-10-2012 03:58 PM

Not free, but cheap and an excellent read.

Redemption on the River

Quote:

Silas Jacobson pulled a trigger, killed his father, and ended up months later face down in Memphis mud, trying to forget the girl who betrayed him.

Silas buries his father on the farm, his guilt in himself and leaves home seeking to forget past mistakes. He travels on Mississippi steamboats and meets his best friend in a brawl, his worst enemy in a cathouse, and a mentor and lover at a New Orleans faro table. Fighting, fornicating, and cheating at cards are a grand time, but there's another woman, a girl on a mission of her own, who saves his life and offers the opportunity to redeem himself.

Silas staggers out of the mud to go to her, but he finds that she's deceived him from the start. He'll risk his neck for her—he owes her that much—but love is no longer possible. His shot at redemption comes down to his conscience, the two women, a poker game, and the turn of a card.