mcarterbrown.com  

Literature Books - What are you reading or writing? Share what you have also!

Old 04-19-2013, 06:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
on temporary hiatus

Marvel Heroes

My latest issue of PC Gamer magazine had a preview of Marvel Heroes, a game that sounds like it's a mashup of Diablo and a traditional MMO. The big news is that unlike other comic book titles, you actually get to play with the famous comic book heroes (Hulk, Thing, Wolverine, Colossus, etc) not some non-trademark infringing copycat ("Iron Dude", "H@wK3y3", "Mr Blade Fists") that you make up yourself, and it's running on a F2P model that doesn't sound like Pay 2 Win, ie: you pay for cosmetic stuff, not for insta-win pills. It's in closed beta now, opening up to either open beta or full gold status on June 4th.

Official in-game footage from the closed beta: (*WARNING* - it's a long video)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5zqUE-nNuY

And.... discuss. I find it interesting they are using the What If...? Watcher and the Infinity Gauntlet to let multiples of the same character play at the same time. So you could have a group that has 2 Hulks, 3 Wolverines, 5 Iron Men, and a Storm in your party, rampaging about.

Who is your favorite Marvel hero and who do you want to play as? My fave has always been Multiple Man from X-Factor, but he'd be way too weird/difficult to play in this type of game, so I'd have to say Havoc or Colossus.

I can't dumb it down to your level because I'm scared of heights.

A shark is an animal that dies if it stops moving.

My feedback
usagi_tetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
I'll shoot myself anyway

I think my favorite Marvel hero was Black Bolt. I think it would be fun to play him and just whisper to everyone. Other than this, I think it would be cool to play Hobgoblin as a hero! (Like what they did with Green Goblin later on).
Old 04-22-2013, 06:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
Facta Non Verba

Send a message via MSN to Deuce

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Sounds kinda like Marvel: Ultimate Alliance.

Co-Captain/ Co-Founder
Team-Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper duke View Post
I'd wipe, play-on and overshoot.
Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
on temporary hiatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebFisher View Post
I think my favorite Marvel hero was Black Bolt. I think it would be fun to play him and just whisper to everyone. Other than this, I think it would be cool to play Hobgoblin as a hero! (Like what they did with Green Goblin later on).
Another one I'd like to play - Gambit. What? I was a big "X" fan back in the '90's, and Gambit was the coolest character by far.

*hmmm* What villain would I like to play as? Not really a pure villain (guess he's a good guy now... wow, it's been a long time since I've read any of the X books) is Random.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
Sounds kinda like Marvel: Ultimate Alliance.
Never seen that one, but looks like it was console-only, and I'm a PC-only kinda videogamer. Was MUA any good?

My feedback
Old 04-23-2013, 04:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
Facta Non Verba

Send a message via MSN to Deuce

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by usagi_tetsu View Post
Another one I'd like to play - Gambit. What? I was a big "X" fan back in the '90's, and Gambit was the coolest character by far.

*hmmm* What villain would I like to play as? Not really a pure villain (guess he's a good guy now... wow, it's been a long time since I've read any of the X books) is Random.

Never seen that one, but looks like it was console-only, and I'm a PC-only kinda videogamer. Was MUA any good?
Ahhh, I missed that it was for PC. Yeah, UA was fun. UA2 was better. It was set during the Marvel Civil War. Pretty awesome story arc.

Co-Captain/ Co-Founder
Team-Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper duke View Post
I'd wipe, play-on and overshoot.
Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:01 AM   #6 (permalink)
on temporary hiatus

Open beta weekend going on this weekend. Should have it fully installed by the time I get home from work, and the beta should be open by then. They're also dropping the NDA for this weekend. It goes live on Steam on June 4th, just three weeks away.

My feedback
Old 05-10-2013, 07:10 AM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member

Fan of EMR
sweet, maybe I can play as deadpool
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP_Lovecraft View Post
I'm no hippie, but I do lack any sense of style.
Murph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:08 AM   #8 (permalink)
on temporary hiatus

I saw a link to the post of who the open characters for the weekend were... and never clicked it. And now I'm at work where I can't go look. *sigh* Sorry.

Wait! The government isn't as good at blocking sites as they thought they were - the available characters for those of us who haven't played the game until now are: Iron Man, Captain America, Hulk, Thor and Black Widow. Basically, The Avengers minus Hawkeye. Found that bit of info here, along with the beta installer linkage and other good info. Info on these characters can be found here, basic stats on their powers and whatnot in this game. Deadpool is an unlockable character, though, full heroes list here.

My choice out of these 5? Iron Man. Avengers was never my favorite team, so it wasn't an easy choice. Servers go live in 11 hours, you better get to downloading now.

My feedback

Last edited by usagi_tetsu; 05-10-2013 at 09:11 AM.

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Literature