mcarterbrown.com  

Literature Books - What are you reading or writing? Share what you have also!

Old 05-13-2013, 11:34 AM   #21 (permalink)
I've porked many

Quote:
Originally Posted by super_stanchy View Post

also....
1 movie for ALL the books?
will there be multiple for the multiple books?
Well some of the books like the ones about Bean, could be interesting. On the other hand, the tree pig brothers story is a must pass for a movie. I will see the movie, but I hope they don't screw it up too bad.

My Feedback Thread[/SIZE][/SIZE]
pillage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 01:00 PM   #22 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3022 View Post
In the translation to czech language Anderson was surely man, not woman - by the declension of the addressing, it is in czech language pretty clear. And the translator surely does carefully "exploration" to find whether is the character man or woman.
Does the language offer an option for a character to remain gender neutral without needing awkward wording? Not trying to be argumentative, but rather I'm actually curious. It isn't a language I've seen much before.

I've dealt with localization of novels in the past, and it isn't unheard of to have major rewrites for parts of a novel to better market in another language. So it really wouldn't surprise me if it was gender neutral in the original English, but switched to being clearly stated as the more likely option in a translation. (It really wouldn't be the first time an author was vague on some detail in a book in a way that made most readers see something one way, but the author actually firmly believed it to be another. Also the "Dumbledore" option, where a change was most likely made after the fact and claimed to have been that way from the beginning.)
Luckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:54 PM   #23 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckless View Post
Does the language offer an option for a character to remain gender neutral without needing awkward wording? Not trying to be argumentative, but rather I'm actually curious. It isn't a language I've seen much before.

I've dealt with localization of novels in the past, and it isn't unheard of to have major rewrites for parts of a novel to better market in another language. So it really wouldn't surprise me if it was gender neutral in the original English, but switched to being clearly stated as the more likely option in a translation. ...
The clear difference in adressing of the man and woman in czech language is mainly in surname / family name of the woman - he has "extension" what man does not haves. For example if the sur name of the man is Novak (most common sur name in Czech Republic, similar to Smith in US), then the woman is Novakova, so Andersen like woman will be adressed like Andersenova. It comes from the late history, It has origin in that married woman "belongs" to the man (and unmarried to thier father).

You can adress woman without such like the extension in special cases, today some very emancipated females, or some females in army, or females which working with foreigners having different "mens" variants of thier surnames even in documents and such like. You can speak about character in indefinite form, like about animal or like specie where is not sure what he has for gender (or where the gender is not clear) but it is inappropriate for peoples and it will be weird.

You are right that the translators can fix some "national" problems with some invention, but that changes nothing about that at least for all Czech fans the Anderson was surely man. : -)
3022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:19 PM   #24 (permalink)
Ran out of characters.

CCM Fan
Quote:
Are you 100% sure? I just read the novel over the weekend, and while I assumed the character was male I can't be sure it was ever actually stated. Text search for the frist few entries on him isn't showing any gender specific references that I can find, but I would need more time to do a full reread of all character references to be sure.
Near the end of the book when Anderson and Graff are hanging out at the lake where Ender built his raft, Graff refers to Anderson as a man.
How to get around UPS fees
mtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:15 PM   #25 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtaylor View Post
Near the end of the book when Anderson and Graff are hanging out at the lake where Ender built his raft, Graff refers to Anderson as a man.
Weird, either I'm having some kind of micro stroke, or the e-Book edition I bought to replace my missing hard copy that I never got around to reading has revised text that keeps Anderson's gender vague. I can't find that reference when Anderson and Graff are sitting by the lake. You're talking about the opening to Chapter 15: Speaker of the Dead from Ender's Game, right?

I think I'm going to have to go track down a second edition copy.
Luckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:28 PM   #26 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

It has terrible written all over it.
Then again, terrible films are in fashion right now (see Marvel).

The book was highly overrated, only just that the film will follow in it's footsteps.

P.S. What's with the face tattoos?
Tenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:35 PM   #27 (permalink)
Ran out of characters.

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenet View Post
He's Maori.

edit-
Quote:
I can't find that reference when Anderson and Graff are sitting by the lake.
I just pulled out my kobo-Chapter 15, second sentence.
"The two men sat together in chairs on the floating dock."
How to get around UPS fees

Last edited by mtaylor; 05-14-2013 at 01:09 AM.
mtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:05 AM   #28 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:

Mazer Rackham is (half) Maori, it's a traditional Maori tattoo a "Moko".

Old 05-14-2013, 12:30 PM   #29 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
It has terrible written all over it.
Then again, terrible films are in fashion right now (see Marvel).

The book was highly overrated, only just that the film will follow in it's footsteps.

How was the book highly overrated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightstar View Post
I translated this as: Scenario games are popular with overshooting douchebags raging on cocaine and steroid cocktails while roasting puppies and punching babies. Stay home unless you enjoy impromptu fistfights.
EL17E 76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 04:38 PM   #30 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Ender's Game (Ender's Saga, #1) by Orson Scott Card - Reviews, Discussion, Bookclubs, Lists

There are so many good science fiction books that manage to combine quality writing, interesting concepts, layering of themes, character development, logical script and balancing detail with a good pace.

Ender's Game fall short on most of these.

Re: Tattoos:

"He looked to be about sixty, by far the oldest man Ender had seen on Eros. He had a day's growth of white whiskers that grizzled his face only slightly less than his close-cut hair. His face sagged a little and his eyes were surrounded by creases and lines. He looked at Ender with an expression that bespoke only apathy."

The book never mentions he had a Tattooed face, only that he was half-Maori, so it was an aesthetic choice by Fans, Illustrators, and the Film Director, but not by the Author of the book who didn't waste a line to mention something so visible.

It looks ridiculous on Ben Kingsley and makes me suspect he's there for the name-drop, and not his capabilities as an actor.

It's the same target audience as the Marvel franchise, so I understand the financial incentive.
Tenet is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Literature