mcarterbrown.com  

Living Legends 5 Living Legends at CPX - 2012

Old 05-21-2012, 07:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Viper Paintball

Scoring error and my apology

Let me start this with an apology. I know that the players trust me, and that trust is important to me. It means a lot. It is for that very reason that I do all I can to provide the most fair and honest events I can. I have close games and not-so-close games. I have had good friends command and end up on the winning end AND the losing end. However there is no point in keeping score if it doesn’t reflect what actually happened.

That being said I do all I can to prevent mistakes, but they can happen. I use an Excel spreadsheet to track scores and do the math so I don’t make math errors. Unfortunately, however, you can still make errors laying out the formulas, which is what I did. On the section for Sunday there was a field that was showing a duplicate of the red team’s major missions (Capture, defend, and skirmish) under the list of blue subtotals. This gave the blue team the same score as the red team for Sunday’s major missions, giving the blue team an equal score on those. I’m afraid I was just too tired to catch the mistake…but I should have. When I get home I always go through the spreadsheet and numbers just to make sure everything is correct, and I never expect to find mistakes because they aren’t ever there. This time there was.

In the end it appears that the New Empire simply spent themselves in their massive effort on Saturday, outscoring the Horde by about nearly double. When Sunday came around they were worn out from taking it to the Horde, and the Horde came back with a vengeance.

I know for a fact there are events out there that manipulate scores and provide “gimme missions” to create an artificially close score. If I ran my events like that this would be easy to sweep under the rug and forget about. But I don’t do that, so my only choice is to own what I did, admit the mistake, and ask for your understanding and forgiveness. I have never lied about scores or made them up, and I don’t want to start now. I hope that standing before you and admitting this publicly will say something for my integrity, and that you will all value that above the obvious disappointment this has caused.

So I have posted the final, corrected scores here. I hope that you can all forgive me. I’m only human, and I promise to incorporate more fail safes to prevent this from happening in the future. In an attempt to preserve your faith in me I will bring someone next year whose only job will be to keep score and make sure it is complete and accurate as long as CPX Sports keeps me on as scenario director for Living Legends VI. I hope I will be there to see you all next year.

HORDE:

SATURDAY

Major objectives
* Capture (+100 each): 0
* Defend (-50 for failure) -50
* Skirmishes (+25 each) +25

* Minor missions (+10 for first half or +25 for totally complete) +170
* Dinner Battle (+5 per slapstick per check) +5

SATURDAY TOTAL: 150

SUNDAY

Major objectives
* Capture (+100 each): 200
* Skirmishes (+25 each) +75

* Minor missions (+10 for first half or +25 for totally complete) +110
* Final Battle (+5 per slapstick per check) +90

Boxes WITH keys, chains, and locks (5 each) +20

SUB TOTAL: 445

GRAND TOTAL: 595

NEW EMPIRE:

SATURDAY

Major objectives
* Skirmishes (+25 each) +150

* Minor missions (+10 for first half or +25 for totally complete) +125
* Dinner Battle (+5 per slapstick per check) +55

SATURDAY TOTAL: 280

SUNDAY

Major objectives
* Skirmishes (+25 each) 0

* Minor missions (+10 for first half or +25 for totally complete) +50
* Final Battle (+5 per slapstick per check) +10

Boxes WITH keys, chains, and locks (5 each) +20

Broken Arrow: -20

SUB TOTAL: 10

GRAND TOTAL: 290

I am going to dissect things further when I get home and get some rest, but I’m pretty confident of these numbers. I’m still in the van, still on the rod, and still hundreds of miles from home. Finding this mistake and having to call the commanders and my friend Sean Scott at CPX about it has made the trip home seem that much longer.

As one more attempt to atone for this I am going to offer free admission to Sniperwolf and PrettyLou for my events for the next five years. Any Viper event they want to come to. I wish I could afford to do it for all of you.

This wasn't an easy thing for me to do, but it was the right thing.

Last edited by Viper Paintball; 05-21-2012 at 08:28 PM.
Viper Paintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Viper Paintball

Incidentally I called PrettyLou andf Sniperwolf as soon as I found the error and I would have to say that both of them are true gentlemen in the classic sense. They both seemed to understand and accepted my long-winded and endless apologies.

Viper Paintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tigerstyle

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Meh, **** happens. People make mistakes, and your only human.
The event was still a blast, thats all that really mattered to me, and i thank you for that.

I honestly had no idea what the score was the enitre weekend anyways, i was having to much fun playing.

I do appreciate you coming out and being honest though, it takes a big man to own up to their mistakes. If anything this only adds to your integrity. You are forgiven.
"Conformities are called for much more eagerly today than yesterday... skeptics, liberals, individuals with a taste for private life and their own inner standards of behavior, are objects of fear and derision and targets of persecution for either side... in the great ideological wars of our time."- Isaiah Berlin

"Freedom is not something that can be given. Freedom is something people take, and people are as free as they want to be."- James Baldwin
Ramous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newbie++

CCM Fan
Having Fun > Winning.

My MCB Feedback
noclue119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

Your stock just went up

Viper

Though I did not attend this year I have to say I respect you for this and it only makes me more likely to play in your events in the future.

Standing up and admitting a big error like this is the right thing to do even if it is the hard thing to do.

Swamp
Swamp Thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Viper, that by far was one of the greatest apology speeches I have read. The game makes up for the score all in its own. I have been there for the past 3 Living Legends Events now and you can mess up the score all you want and I would still be there for the games. These events are by far the best I have attended and your above and beyond apology has just made it better even though I don't think the events could get any better. Thank you for the amazing time and I will see you there for more games through out the years.
Foxxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 12:26 AM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member

Should we judge you harshly for a lousy spreadsheet typo, when thousands and thousands of us players TREASURE memories of your interesting, organized games

Rob

agentSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 12:42 AM   #8 (permalink)
Needs more time...

Send a message via MSN to Chris Nathan

CCM Fan
Its big of you to correct the error on both forums. We are all human and mistakes happen. Thanks for doing the right thing and admitting it. I think we all knew something was wrong on Sunday when the final scores were announced and the red team didn't win. We (the empire) got smoked on Sunday.

Thanks for putting on a well planned, well run, and extremely enjoyable event. You, and your staff, are the best. Keep up the good work.
Sex Porcupine: 50% of the time it works everytime.

Feedback
Chris Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:06 AM   #9 (permalink)
You know the music...

Viper; after meeting you and reading this my opinion on you hasn't changed. Thanks for putting on a great game and being a class act with the scoring snafu. Things happen man and it's got to be insane to orchestrate all that chaos.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:12 AM   #10 (permalink)
Field General

While it was disappointing to find out that we didn't actually win, one of the greatest parts of this weekend - for me, anyway - was putting faces with names of a couple of people.

Thank you, ALL of you, for making it a weekend I will NEVER forget! See you all next time!

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Scenarios and Big Games » Scenario and Big Game Archive » Living Legends 5