mcarterbrown.com  

Living Legends 6 2013 Living Legends MCB Gathering and Info

Old 01-03-2013, 01:55 AM   #11 (permalink)
Paintball Ballistician :P

Living Legends has been the title of the production and it was stated to be an annual event. Every year, Viper has invited legends of the sport (i.e. Tom Kaye, Glenn Palmer, etc) and some have attended (I met and had a brief talk with Tom Kaye year before last).

If I remember correctly, last year, Viper publicly expressed disappointment with the scheduling that precluded a session of having all the attending 'legends' up on the stage.

As far as the game goes, every year there has been significant changes. LL3 was all about a Blues Brothers Theme with missions to help or hurt the progress of the third team to earn points. LL4, they had an 'Escape from New York theme' with missions related to helping or hurting "Snake's" progress on his mission. For LL5, it was a Fallout New Vegas inspired theme with three fighting factions (Roman-esque faction, Democratic-esque faction, and Savages (believing in the supernatural, and having the ability to move in and out of the field as they saw fit along one of the long edges.

Based on my three years experience, there seems to be a recurring problem with this event and, I don't blame Viper. It's almost as if a very large portion of players forget that it's a scenario and it's designed to be won by completing missions and not by necessarily wiping factions off the field.

For example, LL5, the red team from the beginning of the scenario launched right into the third faction, without ever really trying to work around it or, negotiate. This hurt them so badly, Viper had to effectively negate the third faction for the second day of the scenario in order for the Red team to compete more effectively.

For LL4 (or was it three? I forget) a player found an opposing player's packet outside of the playing area and used it as false credentials to get himself and the rest of his squad taped (even though the rules called for found personal property to be turned in, the rules at that point never explicitly called player ID cards as personal property). This was exploited to devastating effect (imagine, an entire squad of players, operating behind your sealed front line, completing missions unchecked).

Another issue with LL4 was the use of tapes for factions and squads- causing confusion ("is that orange squad tape or, red (enemy) faction tape?") caused several friendly fire incidents, and friendly fire paranoia. Post game, this turned into a discussion with a ton of people acting like they should know, at a glance, what faction you're on, with or without your cooperation. The end result being for LL5, folks had to have tape on their heads and each arm (which makes the game more like a big game vice scenario where one may be able to talk their way to a sensitive area).
Originally Posted by Tom Kaye -in response to FS price critics
Unfortunately all of you have played the one "speedball" game of paintball for so long you can't conceive of other ways to do this and hence any new ideas seem stupid.

Last edited by uv_halo; 01-03-2013 at 11:11 AM. Reason: readibility
uv_halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:57 AM   #12 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to nchittendon

Valid points.

There are problems at every game. Some more prominent than others, but problems no doubt.

Regardless, Living Legends has been one of the most fun games i've been to yet in 20 years. The only way to make it better, I believe, is to keep the numbers up and players to keep returning for bigger and better games.

I think the best way for that is new and exciting game layouts. So far, it doesn't seem that it is being offered here, but it is quite early to tell.
nchittendon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:58 AM   #13 (permalink)
Living Legends May 17-20

Living Legends is for the players and the industry. We encourage many paintball industry people, past and present, to play. I have quite the extensive email list that I send to every year. We do get many present industry people playing at the event, which is evident by my large VIP list along with a couple of what you and I would call legends in this industry.

We have made adjustments every year trying to make the event better. We do listen and with me at CPX Full Time now, changes can come even faster. I am here and listening along with Viper.

The best way to keep a game going is to make it better every year and also do things never tried to keep things interesting. I have been working on a project since July that I am hoping that will make you guys get as excited as I am. Time will tell and I will release more information as I am able to.
www.cpxsports.com
Sean Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:15 PM   #14 (permalink)
Big guy in a wig

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
I am hoping to make it this year. I got the go ahead from the boss so it is now time to figure out logistics.
Feedback
The Flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:32 PM   #15 (permalink)
Miembro de MCB

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
It's a shame their isn't an NPPL event to coincide this year.
alkafluence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:32 AM   #16 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Deadmeat99

CCM Fan
That is a worry, I wonder what sort of vendors will be there this year..

Tippmann hopefully, maybe DYE, maybe ninja?

Feedback
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Deadmeat99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:54 AM   #17 (permalink)
Living Legends May 17-20

I can confirm Empire, DYE, and Tippmann trailers along with HK Army tent at this time. I will be focused on vendors next month. We will have the same if not more. It would be nice to have them all in one area too.

It will also be nice that we will be able to focus solely on LL for this year and I am looking forward to it.
www.cpxsports.com
Sean Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:55 PM   #18 (permalink)
STICKERS!

Send a message via MSN to Ryantuomi

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Scott View Post
I can confirm Empire, DYE, and Tippmann trailers along with HK Army tent at this time. I will be focused on vendors next month. We will have the same if not more. It would be nice to have them all in one area too.

It will also be nice that we will be able to focus solely on LL for this year and I am looking forward to it.
To me this is the best news I could hear about LL.

Ryantuomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:14 PM   #19 (permalink)
DonkeyPunchTheNightAway

Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryantuomi View Post
To me this is the best news I could hear about LL.
Ditto! But I'll miss watching the power rangers play paintball
Acidpaintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:43 PM   #20 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

CCM Fan
Join me and Necro so we can bring another victory for the Horde

Feedback..
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html

Proud member of the GUNMEN WRECKING CREW
visualreviews is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Scenarios and Big Games » Scenario and Big Game Archive » Living Legends 6