mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   MCB News (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/mcb-news/)
-   -   Scheduled MCB Shutdown for Upgrade (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/mcb-news/167785-scheduled-mcb-shutdown-upgrade.html)

Painthappy 07-05-2011 10:22 AM

Scheduled MCB Shutdown for Upgrade

We're going to have to shut the site down for... I don't know, an hour or two I think?

Just trying to figure out the best time to do it. Regretfully, 3 am doesn't work for me. And this will need to be an eventual thing...

I messed up the database some many many months ago. Not a big deal in the large scheme of things, but to do further upgrades, I need to revert the database, rebuild it, reinstall, and then upgrade. Basically just some time consuming stuff.

Instead of messing with the old one, we'll just rebuild it on a new platform, that way if it doesn't work or something goes wrong, we can easily just point it back to the old database.

The reason why we have to shut down is because new posts can't be created when I save the database and then re-upload it into a test section. I mean, they can... They'll just be lost forever and it will be as if you never wrote them.

So I'm thinking I'll need a couple of hours. It should go much much faster, but you know how that always seems to work out.

Give me some thoughts on a time.

Carter

P.S., read about the upgraded Android Phone App.

Greenmtnphantom 07-05-2011 10:32 AM

What ever is good for you boss. We junkies can make it a few hours to get our fix.

I do "demand" a cool down message like the one you once had about being hit and needing to reinsert in 5 minutes.

Legato 07-05-2011 10:34 AM

Whatever time is easiest for you Boss Man. We are just transient guests here

Wookilar 07-05-2011 11:02 AM

Do what you have to Carter...besides, if you do it during working hours, I might actually get something done :p

Wook

tangus999 07-05-2011 11:15 AM

WTH you mean i'll actually have to be productive part of society at some point?
oh hell no!
:p

just shut it down whenever you're good to go to make things easiest for you, life will still go on.

paintslinger16 07-05-2011 11:41 AM

just post the time and redirect the link to slideshow of Sweaterpuppies pictures? :)
that should should keep us all subdued for a few hours...

Bored383 07-05-2011 12:20 PM

I like to plan upgrades so they will have maximum impact on the end users . . . I get all BOFH sometimes

that said, my suggestion is you do whatever works best for you and everyone else will just manage during that time

and thanks for all you do! this site rocks

oldschool 07-05-2011 01:37 PM

no matter when you do it
you'll do it
so do it

Tugboater203 07-05-2011 03:28 PM

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooo

desertT1 07-05-2011 03:34 PM

Any guesses when it might happen? Whenever is fine by me, just need a guess as to when so I don't go into panic mode.