mcarterbrown.com  

MCB Reviews It MCB Reviews it! Have a review of a new gun, or old gun you just tried? New Mask or Gear? Let us know what you think.

Old 11-27-2009, 03:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
Grand Poobah

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
BT TM15 ongoing review

Just got my brand spanking new TM15 (first marker I've EVER bought new). I picked it up Wednesday night and had my first chance to fiddle with it last night. I'll get pics up as soon as possible

So far:

I tried to like the stock, I really did, but I took it off and held it with just a back bottle and it felt SOOOO much better. Learned that you can use a Tippy 98 or BT back plug to plug up the location the stock sits in. You don't NEED anything there, but it looks a lot better then having a hole in the back of the marker The stock feel very well built, and changing the position (since it's adjustable) actually takes a little effort, unlike the cheap 98 car stocks. If you're planning on using it with the stock I don't think you'd need to worry about breaking it.

I ended up taking off the flip up sights that come stock with it, they look cool but without a stock I can sight down both sides of the marker from the back which is my preferred way to shoot. The stock sights do feel a little flimsy like they could fall down at any moment. They will be replaced with a green dot sight as soon as I receive it (thanks again Dundudun!).

The marker itself is surprisingly light weight. When I received the shipping manifest I was a little worried when I saw "shipping weight 8.54 pounds". I realized that was the box and accessories, but I was still worried. I'm very happy to say I'm not disappointed with the weight! It's obviously heavier than your high end speedball markers, but not that much more than an unmilled Viking (this is with the stock, sights, and the 2 side rails removed ).

The TM15 is QUIET! Even compared to my old vikings! I aired it up and popped out a few rounds in the backyard, coming back in with a smile on my face Beth asked me "Aren't you going to try it out?" I had to go out with her and shoot it because she didn't believe me that I already had. I'm thinking with a raincover this thing would sound like a chipmunk fart.

Accuracy with the stock barrel is surprisingly good. I was using fairly fresh evil (maybe 3 weeks to a month old) and I was able to hit a 4" tree branch accurately and repeatedly from ~45' away (I can measure when I get home). I think it would be cool to try and get the stock barrel bored for freak inserts to keep the markers muffling forgrip in use.

The thing I love:
The magazine. So awesome to have the exact allen keys you need to take it apart AND room for a spare battery! Such a great idea.

The mode changing thumb switch... AWESOME! I feel like such a badass flipping it around.

As awesome as those to things are, my 2 major gripes with the marker are with those exact pieces:

The magazine tool kit: doesn't hold the largest allen key (which I'm not sure what it's used for, but none the less) doesn't fit in, and the feedneck adjusting screw is a different size then any of the allen keys they supplied...

The selector grip/ board programing: I got this marker to fool around with my woodsball friends and it frustrates me that when you flip the selector switch you need to fire 3 "safety shots" before it will actually let you use the mode you selected. I understand 100% WHY kee did it, but it frustrates the CRAP out of me! I wanted to use semi 90% of the time I was using it, but the with the flip of a switch drop into auto and get to BLASTING. And even more frustrating, once you stop shooting for a couple seconds you have to do the "safety shots" AGAIN!!! It's just frustrating that a $400 marker doesn't have the same firing ability as a $50 spyder egrip... If anyone has a way to turn off the safety feature I would be extra appreciative!

Other than that just some minor gripes:

The trigger sucks, kinda mushy, kinda ridged, hard to explain but it's not very awesome. Hopefully someone soon comes out with a nice upgraded trigger...

Mine was missing the rip clip adapter. I'm planing on doing a box feed and I really wanted to use the rip clip adapter for the feed... I've called BT and left a message about it but haven't heard back yet (not surprised at all with the holiday) I'm sure it was just an oversight at the factory, but I can still be mad about it

Offset feed... Yes, I knew it going into it, and I understand why they do it, but before I do the box mag I would appreciate the ability to use a centerfeed setup (kind of like the mod for tipp 98s). That's more of a personal preference then a design flaw, but I wanted to bring it up anyway.

No On/Off... And no option to add one I hate replacing Orings...

Anyway, going and playing with it for real tonight and tomorrow morning (speedball/indoor scenario tonight, woodsball [well, rockfield ball] tomorrow) and I'll get you guys my next update and some pics!

Update 11/30/09:

Got to KINDA play with it on Friday, after customizing (I.e. ripping all the crap off), and reading through the instructions half a dozen times I felt comfortable enough to give it a go. I got out on the field and my first thought was that the TM15 is quite a large marker in your hands. It was kind of awkward trying to snap shoot and pull maneuvers that used to be second nature to me... and my aim was WAYYY off... anyway, that went away after a few games after I got it working properly.

That's right, it wasn't working... I was breaking paint left and right for the first part of the day... The worst part was they were ALL barrel breaks, my breach was 100% clean after every single break. Not even a slight exaggeration, it was pristine at when I went to clean it at the end of the day. I was using brand new Evil paint with the eyes on, and a magna with brand new batteries... after trying multiple tanks and paints I realized it was breaking less and less paint, so I attached my tank and bought a case of the cheapest paint he had ($23!) and proceeded to fire pod after pod through it. By the end of the day (and after lots of cleaning) I was dumping pods of paint through it without a single break. The field owner suspects it was the mini's return spring breaking in (I agree now). Not really that big of a deal, but it was a pain in the butt to try and figure out what the problem was. We were messing with velocity, the regulator, checking the barrel for burrs...

Please keep in mind this is the first marker I've EVER purchased brand new, so if it's common sense to have a "break in" period of a marker... give a guy a break I guess I was frustrated that it didn't mention anything like that in the manual.

Other things:

Finally got a hold of BT (Kee) about the rip clip adapters, they were indeed pulled because of people trying to use the old style rip clips on the TM15... they do not have ANY of the adapters available, so those of us who were wanting to do box mags are SOL Hopefully someone has one that they wouldn't mind parting with...

Kindof funny: my Magna ended up "syncing" with my TM15, I talked to the tech guy at Kee and he stated that if timed perfectly the magna may pick up on the eyes or some other electronic activating within the marker, thereby spinning the loader every time the marker fired, it was actually pretty cool, but sadly I haven't been able to repeat it...

The looks weren't really enough to get anyone's attention (everyone thought it was an A5...) but EVERYONE was commenting on it's none existent sound profile, it honestly sounds like an electro-pneu marker that is cycling without firing air, or maybe a better explanation is a marker that's shooting really really really low. Our indoor field is an old aircraft hanger and people could not figure out where I was shooting from (and I play in flashy black and white speedball clothes). Love it!

The "safety shots" don't bug me as much as I thought they would, pretty much just ramping so no biggie, even on the auto setting I find myself constantly pulling the trigger. I still don't like it on principle alone

Using a red dot is actually kind of difficult, the feed is offset, but not enough for the hopper to be out of the way... I was using a fairly large EO tech clone, but I had to mount it in front of the hopper to even get it on the rail. Probably not too big of a deal for the cheapo daisy sights or what not, just be aware, I'll try to get a pic from the back so you can see.

Here's how I set up to play BTW:

More info as I get a real good chance to play with it

Last edited by Redbeard the Pirate; 11-30-2009 at 03:01 PM.
Redbeard the Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 05:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Official LL5 Dolphin-Dive

Send a message via AIM to PistolRogue

They stopped putting the rip clip adapters in with the TM15's because too many ninnies couldn't read directions and tried using it with the standard BT4 RipClip, which isn't sensitive enough, and then called in complaining about it.

As for the trigger, if you don't like the TM15's I can only imagine what you'd say about the TM7... the TM15 is a HUGE improvement.
FEEDBACK
PistolRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 05:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
Grand Poobah

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSPB-Rogue View Post
They stopped putting the rip clip adapters in with the TM15's because too many ninnies couldn't read directions and tried using it with the standard BT4 RipClip, which isn't sensitive enough, and then called in complaining about it.
Those Rat bastages!! They better be willing to add one since it says in the manual its included...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSPB-Rogue View Post
As for the trigger, if you don't like the TM15's I can only imagine what you'd say about the TM7... the TM15 is a HUGE improvement.
That's what I've been told, How do you TM7 owners deal?!? lol
Old 11-27-2009, 05:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
\m/ (><) \m/

The best part of the TM15 that I've observed has been the near total lack of noise when firing. Last weekend I was playing the bunker ahead of a TM15 user, and could not hear the shot itself, but was able to hear the ball hiss by. Amazing, and very likely made my mind up as to what my next marker will be.
R_Os is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 12:31 AM   #5 (permalink)
DSA
One in the Pipe!

Send a message via Skype™ to DSA

I am licking my chops at my Damn Good Fortune of being one of 3 LUCKY winners on the BT giveaway wow just floored about it. Like some of you I have spent tens of thousands on paintball over the past 19 years, winning a TM 15 is the closest thing to a winning lotto ticket.

My Feedback Redux Knowledge Base My Email Line SI Knowledge Base
Quote:
Originally Posted by russc View Post

All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to shoot nothing.
DSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 03:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
Grand Poobah

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Original post updated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSA View Post
I am licking my chops at my Damn Good Fortune of
being one of 3 LUCKY winners on the BT giveaway wow just floored about it. Like some of you I have spent tens of thousands on paintball over the past 19 years, winning a TM 15 is the closest thing to a winning lotto ticket.
Congrats! Feel free to add your thoughts as you play with it
Old 11-30-2009, 03:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
Look at me I'm on a Boat!

Wait, there is an adapter for adding a rip clip but it does not come with the marker? Soo if I buy a new ripclip designed for the tm15 will it come with an adapter? Or are they not making one because of some dumb reason. I love the ripclip and would hate to end up with one of these and never be able to use a ripclip.

Why not make an update internal for the ripclip that allows for a more sensitive respone?

"If it ain't broke, don't lend it." - Red Green
ogre45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 03:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
Grand Poobah

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre45 View Post
Wait, there is an adapter for adding a rip clip but it does not come with the marker? Soo if I buy a new ripclip designed for the tm15 will it come with an adapter? Or are they not making one because of some dumb reason. I love the ripclip and would hate to end up with one of these and never be able to use a ripclip.

Why not make an update internal for the ripclip that allows for a more sensitive respone?
The TM15 came with an adapter originally, but it was not supposed to be used with the rip clips from other markers (like the tipp or delta series). So since people were using those and complaining they stopped including the adapters, and (according to the rep I talked to) they are making a brand new rip clip specifically designed to work on the TM15.
Old 12-01-2009, 12:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
la la la la revolution

I'm beginning to think they'll never have the TM-7/TM-15 Rip Clip. We TM-7 owners have been hearing that it's coming "real soon now" for about a year and a half.

My Halo TSA (sound activated) registers nearly every shot from my TM-7, so it's not a gigantic engineering hurdle. Maybe the TM-7/15 is just not selling well enough to support a third Rip Clip SKU.

As long as you don't have any lube on the solenoid plunger or poppet face, the TM- series are quite reliable!
Old 12-01-2009, 12:58 PM   #10 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

Saw a few in use on the field on the 22nd... yes they are quiet... yes they can sling paint.. very quickly. But they are BIG.

Looked cool though.

E
Schmitti is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » MCB Reviews It