mcarterbrown.com  

MCB Reviews It MCB Reviews it! Have a review of a new gun, or old gun you just tried? New Mask or Gear? Let us know what you think.

Old 05-07-2010, 01:23 AM   #1 (permalink)
AKA...The Gobbler!

CCM Fan
Talking Stuffy's Pirate

This will be an initial review of my experience with Stuffy here on MCB as well as my initial findings with this marker. This review will evolve as time goes on. More performance information will come as I get to play with her on the field.

I initially contacted Andrew (AKA Stuffy) with a custom build project that I was looking to commission a willing builder. I initially sent him a PM on here with a basic idea as to what I was wanting to have built. Immediately he contacted me back expressing interest. This was soon followed by a call (yes...personal communication) to discuss in further detail. Within minutes I knew that he was the builder I would like to have this project taken from an idea to reality. Not to mention, I had seen some of his work on here. He was very methodical and thorough in gathering information for the build, including some things that I had not even considered.

Some basic ideas that I was wanting to incorporate into this build are as follows: custom pirate stock, 12 gram in the lower tube, 10 round spring feed, short barrel and PPS newer stock pump handle. This was the basic jist as to what I was looking for in this build. As for the stock, I decided to leave the creativity to Stuffy.

During the build Stuffy was always very good at keeping me posted as to the progress of the build. This was done through many PMs as well as ocassional phone calls for more detailed discussions. Initial material cost were figured and required up from to begin the build. The balance (ie. labor) would be required upon completion. The completed turnaround on this build was...from Feb. 13 to May 4; just under three months. I think this is a phenomenal turnaround, especially considering a hand carved stock.

I was extremely excited to receive this marker, often calling him more than I should have. He was always extremely accommodating and understanding of my excitement. The following are pictures of what I received via shipping of my choice. The box was packed professionally and the marker was wrapped up like a mummy. This packaging could have survived the rigors of todays shipping company procedures. It was packed so well in fact that I began to become impatient as I tore open the packaging. A complete seal kit was included with the marker as well as two other bolts that were made during the build for this marker. The following is what I received:

The fit and finish is second to none. I own several Palmers and this easily rivals anything that you receive from them. I must say the stock is just mind blowing, The valve was worked to insure maximum efficiency and performance. The nickel plating turned out extremely well, including the trigger guard and trigger group.

After squaring everything away, I immediately headed off to the backyard with a few 12 grams and ten round tubes. The marker sealed as it should have and I was able to real off 40 shots before any noticeable drop off in velocity. On a funnier note, I decided to take a shot at squirrell thinking that I would be close but not dead on. Mistake...I shot the squirrel from about 50 foot away and he ran off. I must admit, I felt quite guilty after doing so. The pump stroke is very nice and smooth. The nickel plating turned out well with only one small blemish which is hidden under the stock. Stuffy insured me he would have it replated if needed, but I feel confident that it will be just fine.

After shooting for a bit, I took the stock off so I could put some finishing touches on it. I had asked Stuffy not to finish it beyond the final sanding. The stock was smooth as glass and very easy to apply the six coats of Tru-Oil. The finger grooves that were cut into the stock fit my hand like a glove. His wood working skills are likely as impressive as his ability to create the rest of this marker.

In closing for now, I would again like to Thank Stuffy for his awesome efforts at creating this for me at a very affordable price. His abilities are phenomenal for anyone, but especially for a young man of his age. His craftsmanship is equaled by his professionalism and I highly recommend him for any of your paintball needs and builds. Hope to give some of you the business end of this marker on the field real soon. Thanks and God Bless.

Todd

Last edited by Tbuck; 05-07-2010 at 10:30 PM.
Tbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 01:31 AM   #2 (permalink)
Ornamental redneck

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Wow that thing is amazing!

taco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 01:40 AM   #3 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to left handed

CCM Fan
Oh. My. Lord.

If I ever have the money for a brass nelson, I will most definately contact Stuffy.

left handed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 01:41 AM   #4 (permalink)

RTP Fan
Oh boy I would love a stock like that!
ironchef97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 01:41 AM   #5 (permalink)
Wookie D*ck

Nice, that looks fantastic.
russc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 01:46 AM   #6 (permalink)
SoCal's tango instructor.

Send a message via AIM to Whee McGee

Gorgeous looking piece. If I may be bold, can I ask what the ballpark figure for this was?

Whee McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 01:55 AM   #7 (permalink)
Wookie D*ck

Yeah...I don't understand why people are so secretive about what they pay for custom guns. I mean, the only reason I got in line for a noxx lever is because everyone decided that KL pricing had to be confidential.
russc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 02:02 AM   #8 (permalink)
SoCal's tango instructor.

Send a message via AIM to Whee McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by russc View Post
Yeah...I don't understand why people are so secretive about what they pay for custom guns. I mean, the only reason I got in line for a noxx lever is because everyone decided that KL pricing had to be confidential.
I think people are afraid of their unique custom guns being replicated once people figure out what the price is and whether or not they can afford it.
I will say that I'd be inclined to have a similar piece if I knew I could pay for one...

People are weird.

Whee McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 02:07 AM   #9 (permalink)
Brass Monkey Customs

Send a message via AIM to Stuffy

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
Thanks for such a honest and great review. I really appreciate it. I strive to have happy customers. I also encourage constructive criticism in order to constantly improve my creations, and perfect my products.
If you want to know how much one of these would cost, pm me. IMHO it's just not classy to discuss it on an open forum.
No gun will cost exactly the same as this one due to the amount of time and bs spent dealing with the platers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_yeo View Post
Crossing the street in a third world country is my favorite extreme sport.

/My Feedback / My Art / My Portfolio / My Channel / A Review / WTB: Green JT IZE-Flex Mask/Parts! / FS: One of a Kind Stock / Rare Raincovers FS!

Last edited by Stuffy; 05-07-2010 at 02:25 AM.
Stuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 02:14 AM   #10 (permalink)
Insane Psychopath. :D

Send a message via AIM to Legato

Quote:
Originally Posted by russc View Post
I think part of it is that it's really up to the maker of said marker to discuss what they will charge for their work. Yeah one guy might get a brass pump for say $400, everyone will want that at that price now...Now said maker has to keep charging that as it's expected. When it's his work, he can really charge what he wants, it's custom and unique. It's a side job for most...so some jobs might take a crap ton longer then others...cost of materials could change...life events happen as we have seen here... maybe now said creator is hard on cash so they want more per build....just my two cents...whether it's even close to right or not... :shrug:

edit: i guess i mean...it's custom work..you really can't say this should cost so mine i want should be x amount when it's custom...they can cost a variety of amounts....Like you can't just price the next one off off of the last...they are each unique

edit dos: on topic: Stuffy you do excellent work. That looks amazing. XD DO WANT!

Last edited by Legato; 05-07-2010 at 02:18 AM.
Legato is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » MCB Reviews It