mcarterbrown.com  

MCB Reviews It MCB Reviews it! Have a review of a new gun, or old gun you just tried? New Mask or Gear? Let us know what you think.

Old 12-16-2010, 08:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Cooler Master NotePal X2 Notebook Cooler

Had it for a few days, liked it enough to do this.
NotePal X2 - Cooler Master

for starters, some specs, it's 11" x 14.5" so it can fit my 15.5" notebook with about half an inch on each side to spare. pegs on the back bottom raise the back about an extra half an inch for a total of 2 inch incline.

unpacking:
it's packed safely with plenty of room inside the cardboard box for protection plus a slice of thick spongy foam on either side. includes a simple piece of paper with very short instructions in many languages, as well as a short usb cable for power that is roughly 10 inches long.

taking the thing out of the box, i noticed some rattle inside. after much shaky shakes the cause seemed to be moving, so i figured it's a loose piece. a couple minutes of coaxing and it falls out the gigantic intakes. turned out to be a strip of plastic debris that was probably leftover from drilling screw holes. no big deal and glad that's taken out, but someone ought to take better control of quality, wouldn't want pieces of plastic getting flung out by the giant fan now eh?

looks:
speaking of the giant fan, it's a giant fan. it's about the size of a cd and is made of matte clear plastic. the top is solid metal mesh, meaning the whole top face is an open surface to blow air (!) . don't worry, the whole thing felt very light and easy to carry around. when you turn it on, the blue LED lights up the insides and the whole transparent fan glows blue and looks awesome, but you won't see any of that with your laptop on top.

but it still looks awesome.

controls:
it has fan speed control! yay! naturally i just leave it at max anyway. the controls are on the top right corner. a dial on the side for fan speed and power button on the back next to 2 usb plugs, so you don't loose precious usb ports when you use this cooling pad: 1 for power the other for anything else. excellent.....

sound:
it's loud. at least on max. but it completely turns off my laptop fan on non-intensive tasks so it evens out. with the laptop fans also running it sounds like 2 laptops, but the good thing about the pad's sound is it is easy to zone out. it's a low to medium pitch humming that you just forget about. in fact the only times when i notice it when i turn it off to notice the silence and when the laptop fan turns on to increase the decibels. so it's not bad at all. still, it might benefit from some padding between the pieces back in their r&d stages. i am also guessing the fan speed is meant more to control the noise than the cooling, but it quiets down less than it slows down so you may as well leave it on max...

cooling:
yes. just yes. my laptop has the fans automatically either off, low, or high. games that used to turn the fan on high within an hour or two and still lag due to cpu throttling down, now lag no more and the fan only goes to low. it took about 6 hours of constant gaming on that same game to get the fans to go on high, and i have never once experienced lag ever since using this pad, even when the laptop turns its fan on full blast.

use:
not much to say here besides the 2 pegs on the back. the incline seemed plenty enough without them, but with them you may get better ventilation i suppose. either positions are comfortable.

price:
it was $29, but the shelf said $19. i thought it was $19 until the checkout counter scanned it, then i was too lazy to give up. damn you, fry's. for a 50% price difference i can't say it's cheap now, but i wouldn't say it's overpriced either. it's about right and i don't regret paying.

pros: packaging, looks cool, incline options, fan speed, extra usb port, light weight.

cons: factory debris.

either-or: sound is detectable but easy to zone out.

heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 10:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

You're a few months early for an April fools post...
ApoC_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 01:39 AM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

what do you mean? i am using this cooler right now.
Old 12-19-2010, 04:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

oh, just cause it was totally not paintball related, thats all
ApoC_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 04:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

oh

i could have sworn others reviewed non paintball stuff before, i guess i done goofed
Old 12-20-2010, 04:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
Post Whore

I find this interesting, I was thinking about grabbing a laptop cooler, my laptop is buggerly hot. Dell Studio 15, corei7, 6 gigs RAM and 1 gig Radeon graphics card.... problem is that I think the processor is right under the track pad... it burns! Well not really, but it gets uber hot.

http://www.usc.uwo.ca/clubs/paintball/index.html

I'll add my Feedback here, because I always forget to ask.
My super awesome feedback of... awesomeness!
Ivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 08:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
Party like its 2005!

ive been looking for something like that but in 17". i have a 15" belkin cooling pad i paid $20 for and it was garbage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heinous View Post
you win at everything forever.
(11:26:32 PM) Mayvik: PS where the **** have you been?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunRaptor View Post
I love how we are more concerned with the fate of this paintball gun than we are about AIDS kids in Africa.............
DFSniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 10:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

well it says it accomodates "up to 17" which i am guessing means barely. but i posted the dimensions so maybe that's a better way to gauge size.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:22 PM   #9 (permalink)
Party like its 2005!

the one i have looks like itll barely fit under a 15" laptop

Quote:
Originally Posted by heinous View Post
you win at everything forever.
(11:26:32 PM) Mayvik: PS where the **** have you been?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunRaptor View Post
I love how we are more concerned with the fate of this paintball gun than we are about AIDS kids in Africa.............
DFSniper is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » MCB Reviews It