mcarterbrown.com  

MCB Reviews It MCB Reviews it! Have a review of a new gun, or old gun you just tried? New Mask or Gear? Let us know what you think.

Old 03-20-2011, 09:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
All teh pews

Send a message via AIM to SN toter

CCM Fan
DBC Anodizing Review

My brother is an automotive guy and has his own customs shop (no website yet) called DBC. Yes, he is my brother, but i'm trying to NOT make this a biased review. Here's his history:

He builds custom motorcycles and paints Harleys and British cars. The guy is amazing at his craft. He's very detail oriented and I consider him a perfectionist. I’ve had him do some paintball related work for me in the past with parts I needed polished. Did wonders on a Piranha SB and multiple Automag SS bodies for me. Recently, he has invested in a small anodizing studio and he asked me if I had any parts he could practice on. I gathered up a bunch of parts(mostly old foregrips and stuff) and he got crackin'. After he spend quite a few hours playing around with random parts I asked him to do a marker for me.

What I have him was a very old old and very abused Automag. The SS mag body was blasted gray and all of the factory ano'd parts were worn and faded. It did have nice wood grips though (more on those shortly) on a composite frame.

So I gave him a box-o-mag and our conversation went something like this…

Dale – So what color do you want it?
Me – Olive-ish green to match my J2L?
Dale – One color?
Me – Yeah, I don’t want you getting in over your head on your first paintball gun ano adventure.
Dale – Boring, try again.
Me – Uh….okay, see if you can anodize it to match the grips and frame?
Dale – <looks at the green/black/brown wood grips and composite frame>. Yeah okay, I have an idea.

So here is what I got back! I can only really describe it as an oil-slick camo wash. It’s a combination of black, gunmetal, brown, and olive. When we were talking about what I wanted, we agreed on a kind of a rustic, aged look and I think he really pulled it off. It’s a really slick wash of muted color tones that match the grips and grip frame really nicely.

The quality of the ano itself is really quite excellent. It's type two anodizing and there is zero pitting or blemishes on any of the parts. He can do a high polish finish, dust finish, or, like my mag, something of a matte semigloss finish.

Pics of different angles in different light sources(naturaly light and florescent)

Stock and barrel details:

Rail:

I'll keep this thread updated as he does more markers. He just did a really gorgeous Odysee RPM in black/silver/green with an orange splash. Sounds weird but in person it is...stunning. I'll try to get pics of it next time I see him. I do have a couple B2K's and an emag that he's going to be doing in the next month, so I'll also post up pics of those. I plan on getting them all done in different styles (acid sponge, lava, splash, etc..). He's not offering work to the public YET, but he will be in the near future. As I said, he is a perfectionist and want's to know his product is as stellar and consistent as possible. I believe he will be taking ano work before the end of April.

EDIT 3.29.11

He gave some life to this old Bushy for me yesterday

This was done in two batches and really turned out great as well. More markers coming as well - will keep updating.

They keep getting better!

Need something anodized? HMU on our team forums above.

Last edited by SN toter; 03-29-2011 at 10:53 AM.
SN toter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 12:15 AM   #2 (permalink)
MCB Member

subscribed excited to see more.
Dono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 12:36 AM   #3 (permalink)
Dive Dive Dive

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
WOW, That is the best camo-esque anno I have seen yet!
It like the CCM version of Two Girls One Cup.
I will ban folks.... I swear.
TF

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
worrptangl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 01:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Baghead

Would it be possible to get pictures of just the parts on a light colored background? The reflection off the marker makes everything look the same to me in every picture but the last.
Old 03-21-2011, 02:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
All teh pews

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by philosophia View Post
Would it be possible to get pictures of just the parts on a light colored background? The reflection off the marker makes everything look the same to me in every picture but the last.
Yeah I can try that. It's hard to get a good pic becasue of the light reflections outside. The indoor ones catch it a little better. It looks awesome in person, I'll keep trying to catch it in pics for you.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:54 AM   #6 (permalink)
All teh pews

CCM Fan
Updated OP with more pics of another marker he ano'd for me.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
Inch of Gold

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
PBN Fan
That's really nice work. It's always good to see more ano shops, especially if they are willing to do the more "flashy" jobs.

Just spitballin' here...but if he's looking for more "bulk" work instead of one-off type jobs, he might want to talk to some of the manufacturers on here about doing some work as a subcontractor. I know CCM, PPS, etc have their "ano guys" but with some of the emerging guys out there (dukie, ApoC, etc) it might be a cool way to let them expand their color offerings and get more biz for everyone.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
All teh pews

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvik View Post
Just spitballin' here...but if he's looking for more "bulk" work instead of one-off type jobs, he might want to talk to some of the manufacturers on here about doing some work as a subcontractor. I know CCM, PPS, etc have their "ano guys" but with some of the emerging guys out there (dukie, ApoC, etc) it might be a cool way to let them expand their color offerings and get more biz for everyone.
It's a great idea, and one that he may consider when he get's the rest of his tanks in. I'll pass that idea along to him
Old 03-29-2011, 02:00 PM   #9 (permalink)
A Little Grainy

That's a pretty awesome anno. Sounds like your brother is a stand up guy. He certainly does a good job.
Supergyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 02:35 PM   #10 (permalink)
X0317

Send a message via AIM to dm6rocker

CCM Fan
That mag definitely impressed me. That's one of the nicest colors I have seen in a long time. Is he interested in taking some outside work down the road? My duckslide is looking mighty worn, it's almost time for a facelift.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » MCB Reviews It