mcarterbrown.com  

MCB Reviews It MCB Reviews it! Have a review of a new gun, or old gun you just tried? New Mask or Gear? Let us know what you think.

Old 11-06-2011, 08:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Eric

Send a message via Skype™ to lechooch

Redux review.

Hi guys, today I will be reviewing the redux. I have had it for a few weeks now and have used it so I have formulated an opinion.

Looks: Everyone has their own prefferences as far as looks go but in my opinion this is one of the best looking guns around. It takes alot of style from the 1911 and is extremely clean looking. The anno on mine is known as slate and some areas are darker than others. Also some areas are polished and others are dust. I like the anno on the marker because it creates a nice contrast with the different shades. The compact style of the gas-in-grip and low profile offset feed combined with elegant slide milling make for one sweet looking marler. 10/10

Pump: The entire body/slide and feedtube move with each pump stroke. I think its cool and like this design but that is a personal thing. The pump stroke is VERY smooth. It is one of the best nelson pump strokes( up there with my mini buzzard and my old boxgun). No issues with the pump stroke whatsoever. 10/10

Trigger: The redux sports a very nice sliding trigger and it is pretty smooth however I have felt smoother. It seems to bind a tad at the end of the trigger pull when the return spring is very compressed. Also I wish that the trigger was a bit wider but that is personal preference. 7.5/10
EDIT: I have pulled the redux trigger hundreds of times not and it is getting smooher with use.
I give the trigger an 8.5/10 now.

Frame: The redux trigger frame is WIDE! This is to accomodate the gas in grip. I like this feature but others may find it too wide. The frame is a "humpback" style which makes the back of the frame just melt into your hands. 10/10

Fit/finish: The redux is very well made. Each one are handmade 1 at a time and are assembled carfully. The gun has very tigh tolerances and the parts just seem to "fit" together. One issue I have here is the slide wobble. the slde will wobble around a considerable amount when assembled. This does not affect function but it does bug me quite a bit and i feel it should be mentioned. 8/10

co2 changes: The redux has a very nice in-grip co2 changer. Mine has a more unique knurled co2 knob and it is very easy to grip. The plug slides very fluently inside the grip and feels very smooth. The co2 change does take alot of turns to pierce the 12g but I think it balances out because it is so smooth. There is very little extra effort to pierce the 12g. 9/10

Efficiency/consistency: My redux has the shorter unported barrel that is supposed to get alot worse efficiency than the longer ported one. My gun seems to be odd in the fact it gets 40 shots above 230. Alot of other owners have efficiency issues and get less than 20 shots. The gun is pretty consistent if you have a good paint to bore match which is attainable with the freak inserts that the redux uses. 10/10

Accuracy I know all paintball guns are roughly the same in terms of accuracy but there is still something to be said here. The sights are very easy to use and since the feed is offset you are basiclly aiming straight down the barrel. 10/10

User freindlyness One of the biggest things that will stop people from buying the redux is the feed issues. To sum it up: when you try to pump the gun a second ball will partially feed into the breech and will be chopped by the slide. This happens constantly and you are driven off the field each time it happens. I have a pumping technique that results in no pinching which is discussed here(video):http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/r...technique.html. The gun overall is not very forgiving to new users and people trying it for the first time WILL chop. 1/10

To sum it up.
The good:
-good looking
-good frame
-great pump stroke
-great egronomics
-great accuracy
-easy co2 changes
-well made
-good consistency and efficiency(at least for me)

The bad:
-slide wobble
-bit of trigger binding(should smooth out with use)
-NOT user freindly at all
-pinch issues

Final thoughts: If you are willing to accept that the redux has a learning curve and takes time to master, then it is for you. If you don't want to adapt to a different technique and want a gun that you can pick up and do well with right away, then the redux is not for you. I really love this gun and I am having great succes with it so far.
Here is my redux:

Thanks for reading!

UPDATE, AFTER FIELD TEST:
Update, I tried playing with the redux a few months ago. This review was done before taking it on the field. It was silly for me to do that.

On the field this gun sucked. So bad. So very bad.

When You are in the middle of a firefight the last thing you want to be looking at is your gun.

I think cj said it best: "A good marker should stay out of the way until you have to pull the trigger" or something along those lines.

The redux fails miserably here. You have to constantly have your eye on it while loading or you will pinch and your game is OVER. I realized with my in house testing that the target I was aiming at was pointing down. When loading on field you must:
1. take your eyes off the battle
2. tuck into a safe peice of cover where you can take your time
3. tilt marker down to get a ball above the breech
4. tilt marker up so that all balls go to the back of the feed tube
5. cock marker
6. aim and fire

All that just to load 1 ball. Not fun.

I was getting 8 shots of a 12g at 220 fps.

Also, The stock power tube ended up cracking at the ports because it is so damn brittle and the cup seal stripped...Twice!

Earon Carter was there so he gave me one of his power tubes that was beefy as hell, very sturdy and uses one of his cup seals. That got me up to about 15-20 shots at 300 fps.

All in all the redux was a huge dissapointment. Worse then any sc marker I have used and the most expensive to boot.

I'm just glad it holds its value so well and I could get back what I have into it.
Youtube Chanel:http://www.youtube.com/user/TheLechooch/videos
Feedbackhttp://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html

Last edited by lechooch; 03-13-2012 at 08:26 PM.
lechooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 09:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
My "brother"

CCM Fan
Great review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_controller View Post
I am a fag.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_controller View Post
thats what happens when i leave mcb up at work.....
Julien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 12:24 AM   #3 (permalink)
Straight 6 DID Bust!

Excellent review. I'd love to own one myself, I'd just have a hard time justifying the cost with the noted issues. Heck, I'd have a hard time justifying the cost regardless
Kermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 12:40 AM   #4 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigballa View Post
Excellent review. I'd love to own one myself, I'd just have a hard time justifying the cost with the noted issues. Heck, I'd have a hard time justifying the cost regardless
This coming from the guy who bought a $300 mask accessory! (camera)
Wildgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 11:56 AM   #5 (permalink)
Straight 6 DID Bust!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildgoat View Post
This coming from the guy who bought a $300 mask accessory! (camera)
Meh, it was shinier
Kermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 03:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
MCB Member

I've always loved the look of the Redux. Its been on my "maybe" list for a while now. Thanks for the review.
DoC19K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 05:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Send a message via AIM to zenmic Send a message via MSN to zenmic Send a message via Yahoo to zenmic

I think I met you at the CPP Breast Cancer game. I definitely saw and talked to someone there with a pretty gun like that. I showed you an AT-85 still in the case.
zenmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 05:32 PM   #8 (permalink)
Eric

Send a message via Skype™ to lechooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenmic View Post
I think I met you at the CPP Breast Cancer game. I definitely saw and talked to someone there with a pretty gun like that. I showed you an AT-85 still in the case.
Don't think it was me, I don't recall going to a cancer game.
Youtube Chanel:http://www.youtube.com/user/TheLechooch/videos
Feedbackhttp://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
lechooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 05:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
DSA
One in the Pipe!

Send a message via Skype™ to DSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by lechooch View Post
Don't think it was me, I don't recall going to a cancer game.
I bet you thought it was a boobie game!

Nice review hope to hear more about your adventures in the near future

My Feedback Redux Knowledge Base My Email Line SI Knowledge Base
Quote:
Originally Posted by russc View Post

All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to shoot nothing.
DSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 01:14 PM   #10 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Send a message via AIM to zenmic Send a message via MSN to zenmic Send a message via Yahoo to zenmic

It was the boobies game. I did not know my audience, so I started my reply at a G rating.
zenmic is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » MCB Reviews It