mcarterbrown.com  

MCB Reviews It MCB Reviews it! Have a review of a new gun, or old gun you just tried? New Mask or Gear? Let us know what you think.

Old 03-15-2012, 04:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
MVP its not brain science

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Bob Long MVP Review

So, I received a pm asking how I liked my MVP, my thoughts and overall opinion of the gun. I ended up typing him a very long response and have decided to go ahead and post a review of it. Later tonight I will have some more pictures to go along with it. ** Update ** There are now a couple Videos on page 2.

How it Arrived:

It arrived in a plain white box with foam inserts, the barrels individually packaged, different springs and a small spare parts kit (orings and i believe a spare detent spring) The stock barrel is a .685 single piece. I ordered mine with 2 stock barrels (opposite annos), and the 2 piece Bob Long barrel in .679 and .682.

Out of the Box:

Right out of the box, it is essentially ready to play with. I put air, barrel matched to the paint and a hopper on it and the first 3 shots were: 299, 298,301. It worked great; however, it was kind of farty. To remedy this I simply replaced the spring in it with the heavier of the 2 other springs it comes with. Over the chrono with the heavy spring it shot: 335, 335 and I then adjusted the velocity to one that was usable. Which is just through the frame and is very quick and easy. The overall fit and finish was very nice and was up to the standard I expect from Bob Long.

Soooooo much Technology:

There are quite a few things on this and other Bob Long guns that I feel is just smart/practical/player oriented. One of which being the cam drive asa which I love. It also has a tooless lever locking feedneck, 16 roller bearings, internal return springs, threaded back cap for easy spring replacement, regulator in the grip frame, velocity adjustment is a single allen in the back of the frame which is awesome, and last but not least the brass bolt because its brass (for the love of god he put brass in it).

Parts, Pieces, and Dis-assembly; It's not brain science:

* To view all Dis-assembly go here start at DSCF4846 and go backwards.

Ergonomics:

The frame is extremely comfortable. The pump handle* is a smidge on the small side for my taste but works well and is comfortable(the grip tape is a nice addition). The feedneck placement is forward but helps balance the gun well( it is a tad back heavy but not bad, shouldering the gun with the tank it is not noticeable). I also like that there is no vertical grip/front reg, I simply keep my hand on the pump handle (where it belongs). This has been debated back and forth and is simply individual preference.

* Word on the street is the will be offering a couple different pump handles down the road.

After a Couple Days of Play:

My thoughts after a couple days of play, keep in mind these are my opinion and my play style/preferences my be different than yours. It is very light, very comfortable and very smooth. It balances well. The efficiency seemed good (I don't have solid numbers) I think it will easily get a case on a 68/45 fill. It has good shot to shot consistency(referring to where the balls are hitting, not speed). Seems accarit like Bob said. The trigger has a very snappy and short pull. There is one thing I am not particularly fond of; when you pump the gun, the "sear" actually engages at about 3/4 of the stroke, so if you do not keep going back you will be able to shoot but there will not be a ball in the breech. So you can short stroke it pretty easily, which is only a real issue when auto-triggering but you get used to it. The auto trigger is very smooth and very fast. The way everything balances on the gun, you don't get a lot of wild movement auto-triggering, like you do with some other guns. I got many eliminations that day, I did not have any issues and it was a fun gun to play with. So overall I had a good experience.

Overall thoughts:

I am very happy with this gun overall and I highly recommend it to those that can afford it. It is what I would expect from a Bob Long gun and more. There are several features that are well thought out and it has an exceptional fit and finish. I ordered some custom elements on mine and they are above and beyond what I expected. For a brand new gun, with new design elements and from a manufacturer that does not typically make this type of gun I feel they went above and beyond. I also feel their price point is not outrageous for what you get. The fact it is Made in the USA is another plus for me. The other thing is that it is soooo pretty, I mean just look at it .

All in All, I give the Bob Long MVP a Perfectly A+.

I hope this was informative.

Thanks,
John

Please Check out our Team Website: Team Conversion
Please Like us on FB: Team Conversion

My MCarterBrown Feedback:
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace
Like any thread on MCB ever stays on one topic. Just pick something random and join in.

Last edited by grimcpt; 03-27-2012 at 05:40 PM.
grimcpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 04:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
BOB LONG!

CCM Fan
Thanks for the review! I'm very interested in one of these and can't wait to get my hands on one.

Quote:
Seems accarit like Bob said.
I genuinely lol'd at that.

Festa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 05:01 PM   #3 (permalink)

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Dis-assembly basic walk through.

Ok, for your day to day cleaning and what not there is not a whole lot of need to dis-assemble the marker. When you do there is not a need to do more than remove the frame assembly, pump and engine. Very seldom would you need to separate the tray from the frame or dis assemble the engine.

Also, there is a piece that goes between the body and frame, I am used to working with vikings therefore I refer to it as the tray.

For basic dis assembly all you need to do is remove the two Tray screws, its not brain science. Once they are removed set the frame and tray aside. Next, you pull the pump assembly and internal pump guide/return springs/engine retainer out as one piece. Clean if needed. Set it aside, you can now remove the engine, simply slide it out of the body. The bolt slides out of the front. There are two orings on the front they just need dow 55 give them a bit if needed. You now have a disassembled MVP.

To reassemble you just have to line everything up and put it back together, its not brain science. To get this far you need 1 allen key, it does not get much easier than that. For a complete tear-down you only need 3 allen keys.

Quote:
Like any thread on MCB ever stays on one topic. Just pick something random and join in.

Last edited by grimcpt; 03-19-2012 at 09:50 AM.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Mr. Angel Pump

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
The anno looks great.
COBRA G7,Angel 1,Master tech Angel Force Fly,Angel Gat,Custom Angel Led,2000 LCD Angel Pump,2k1 Dark Angel,04 Angel Speed,C&C Angel IR3,Ice Fade G7 Fly,DM4,Eblade,Grey Ghost,PGP,2006 Grey Ghost,BLong Cocker,Angel G7,Cobra Mamba FLY,2K1 Angel Fly,Rasta G7 Fly,Dark 2K3 Angel,Euro Angel,2k2 Apollo Angel,2k1 Cobra SS LCD,Rev-i,Dark Angel IR3,2K5 Speed,KP3,Rasta A4 Fly.

Feedback
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...ml#post1921680
kill-n-spree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 10:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
That Colorado Pump Guy

CCM Fan
That is the most gorgeous splash job i have seen in a really long time. I am seriously debating selling my J2L and 6.5 to pick up one of these beasts. Can you please take a high def video of it shooting?
colorado719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 11:34 PM   #6 (permalink)

Reminds me of my open class, undercocking handle, no foregrip phantom, even the feedneck placement is pretty similar.
gospeedgo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 11:35 PM   #7 (permalink)

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Sure, i will try to get video and dis assembly pictures tomorrow or saturday at the latest.

Quote:
Old 03-15-2012, 11:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
That Colorado Pump Guy

CCM Fan
Thanks man that would be great!
colorado719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 11:51 PM   #9 (permalink)
Phantom Lords

CCM Fan
Thank you for posting a review, it's good to get some more opinions on this marker.

The anno on yours is simply stunning

my feedback
Reloadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 12:10 AM   #10 (permalink)

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Dis-assembly pictures are uploading. I will get video soon my laptop is giving me some issues at the moment, so bear with me.

Quote:

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » MCB Reviews It