mcarterbrown.com  

MCB Reviews It MCB Reviews it! Have a review of a new gun, or old gun you just tried? New Mask or Gear? Let us know what you think.

Old 03-20-2012, 02:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

SLY profit mask

I bought a new SLY profit mask a couple weeks ago and played in a few games the day after I bought it. Here's my review:

Unboxing-- It was the last one in the store and was the display model. I tried on various masks from low to high end and the Profit felt the best comfort wise. Came with standard tinted top faded to clear bottom lens and the only accesory was a rain guard (beyond the pouch). In the store it felt great.

First use-- The next day I used the Profit mask for a few hours. It was raining (play in Vancouver, WA) off and on but the field is canopy covered with many trees. The first 1/2 hour was great, it was comfortable then after a few games it began to fog. I had installed the rain gaurd since it was raining but the mask doesnt have a visor so even with the gaurd installed water was still able to get past the rain gaurd. It was fogging from the top down so I knew it wasnt my breath causing the fog. The fog continued for the rest of the day and I had to wipe out the moisture with a mirco fiber clothe between each game. My breath did cause A LOT of water condensing in the inside infront of my mouth but did not seem to get into the goggles. The foam is very nice and has a velvet type material over the foam (all mask manufacture's should do this).

Overall impression-- I was dissapointed with it fogging and it not having a visor or fan system made to fit it. It feels great and has great protection for the face and ears but not being able to see clearly was a set back.
I have yet to use it on a sunny or clear day so i don't know if it will fog without the wet conditions. The tint was ok but I think I'd rather have a all clear mask so when i tilt my head up and down the view stays the same. I contacted SLY via email and after a few emails they agreed to replace the lens, which I will hopefully get around to shipping out soon. I don't know how long the mask sat on the shelf in the store so it may be one of those lenses that i hear about from the initial production that had some issues. If the replacement lens works better even in rain then i would recommend the mask. The lens system is a quick change and it works well. I plan on getting a JT flex 8 soon and hope that it will work better. I will report more when I get the replacement lens.
shibyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 03:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Certified Gunsmith

Kilt Fan
I have a Sly, and Ive used it a few times. I wouldnt quite rush out to replace it just yet. It is the most comfortable mask Ive ever owned for play on a clear day.

I got mine the exact same way. Only the display left in the shop, and I grabbed it on a whim. So far, Im in love.
Iconic Muffinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 10:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Hawkeye: Finest Kind

CCM Fan
Very comfortable mask....useless for paintball.

The padding is comfortable, but it distorts sound and makes me feel like I had a fishbowl on my head.
The "thermal" lens fogged completely after the second use. The layer between the lens delaminated and was useless. I found water between the two lens

I think thier quality control is lacking, which makes me question the safety of the gear they sell. I would only recommend sly profits to people I dislike.
Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:33 AM   #4 (permalink)
Phantom Lords

CCM Fan
I bought a sly mask a while back because I loved the styling. Put it on, and it was incredibly comfy. The second I started running around, the thing fogged up. I played a couple rec games with it, it fogged every game, I took it off and sold it the next day. And yes, I had removed the "plug" from the vents ad it still fogged up.

Some people seem to have no problems with the profits, maybe it's all in how it fits to your face....a shame, because otherwise I really do like those masks, but if I can't keep it from fogging up every five minutes....

my feedback
Reloadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:45 AM   #5 (permalink)
Serving Tea for CCM

Send a message via AIM to senghing27

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
I gotta agree with you guys. The thing is comfy and looks great.

I was at team practice and one of the guys was like, "Hey swap me masks really quick."
So I swapped masks and was able to run witht he profit for a whole for games.

Felt really on my noggin. Right into the first game, I realized I can't hear too well with the thing and by game two, it was fogging pretty bad. Indoors in decent climate mind you... So.. Yeah.

They need to make some revisions to the mask system.
~My Feedback~
senghing27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:59 PM   #6 (permalink)

i bought mine about 9 months ago and have noticed 2 things... it works great in the summer but terribly in the spring/summer. I used it all summer without it fogging at all but as soon as the fall came and the temperature dropped, the fog rolled in and made the mask pretty much useless. The same thing this spring so i'm going to have to buy a new mask again this year. Very disappointed with quality of this mask compared to the price.
sponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 02:25 AM   #7 (permalink)

Sounds like the mask will be good for days its not raining. I'll probably keep it and maybe install some fans for the summer. Looks like ill be getting the flex 8's soon. Ive heard great things about the dye I4's but the cost and the lack of a visor kinda turn me off.
shibyman is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » MCB Reviews It