mcarterbrown.com
 

MCB Reviews It MCB Reviews it! Have a review of a new gun, or old gun you just tried? New Mask or Gear? Let us know what you think.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-23-2012, 09:13 PM   #21 (permalink)
SoCal's tango instructor.
 
Whee McGee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Southern California
Send a message via AIM to Whee McGee

Just tried removing the air fittings on the side on the (stamped) #29, and they came out no problem. I don't expect an issue with #30, but I'll leave it alone until after I play with it, to make sure *knock on wood*

I didn't get stickers with my guns, but I did get two extra cocking knobs, so I guess it works out.

Apoc, that being the one metric allen should probably have been mentioned. It's a significant enough part and detail that everyone should've known sooner.

I'll test it out this weekend, and report back.
__________________

Feedback: AO, The Nation, and here
Whee McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:14 PM   #22 (permalink)
Waiting on GoD.
 
D3adpool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NYC

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
We appreciate the work you and the team did Josh.
__________________
My Feedback:
D3adpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:20 PM   #23 (permalink)
no, I'M sorry
 
heinous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApoC_101 View Post
Great review, thanks man! I have a few comments of course:

-never seen a 12 gram not pierce in the Retro yet... that's a first. all the brands we've tested pierce very easily and torque/grip for the knob hasn't been a concern yet. Still, the new knobs are diamond knurled, and larger diameter (wider) so gripping and tightening should be less a concern.

-regarding efficiency: 40+ shots is possible in ideal conditions, but never guaranteed, simple as that. we've shot 45 good shots off a single charge but it doesn't happen with every gun or every kind of paint. using paint which is too tight for the barrel will give reduced efficiency due to friction as well as more chance of exploded paint.

-regarding the mark I was supposed to engrave on your top tube, and serial... I plain forgot to put the line on there before I boxed it up, the serial I'm not sure how that happened... I did serial (most) of the guns. I'll PM you about fixing that.

-transfer port: most likely the reason it distorted so badly and wouldn't come out, is using the wrong size allen key. while the whole gun is standard sizes, those bloody transfer ports are over-broached and only a metric size fits really well... and should be inserted fully into the fitting before removing or reinstalling it. the loctite is grade 242 (medium strength blue thread-locker). will consider using a PTFE sealant in the future instead so removal/replacement of those fittings is easier.


as for the comments about the delays: I held off shipping the guns for about a week when I didn't have the stamps, that was not really an issue. Actually I shouldn't really even comment about the delays as they have all been for solid reasons generally out of our control (or within the overall scope of first-run manufacturing business related challenges) and I don't regret taking the time to solve the issues and ship the guns after we figured everything out. Thankfully the technical issues with Retros amongst the owners are quite limited and isolated and all of them can be easily corrected
pm received. see what i mean in the review guys? apoc will back you up.

by the way, i used metric m6 (you can see i had both standard and metric sets of allen wrenches out on the table for my hpa test), it was the only snug key. however, i didn't insert it all the way through because something stopped it. only a size 3/16 if i recall correctly would go all the way through, i still can't insert an m6 all the way now. i'm not even going to mess with it anymore because it's working and it's obviously over my head, if you say it's user error, i'll believe it.
__________________
feedback http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html

pile of poo, HARD MODE, automag pistol---S.P.E.W.II---What if this hurts me?---No, I'M sorry.---Semiautomatic Nelspot 007!---Decay of Nations 4
Camp Pendleton meetup 2010---Watch me fail at pump!---Clareball 2010 vid!---MCB Stock Class Meet!---HELMETCAM!
Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcandy1993 View Post
Before the first day Velcor said let there be Heinous and it was true. And then Heinous said "Let there be God" and it was true. And it was good

Last edited by heinous; 05-23-2012 at 09:28 PM.
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:22 PM   #24 (permalink)
MCB Member
 
sniper97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006

CCM Fan
...it is easily worth the wait! You guys that don't have the R7's yet will be very happy!

I will do a full review when I get more time!

Also, I did receive an extra cocking know!

It is a great little shooter! The 12 gram plug/changer issue will be resolved in time...very soon I will take mine to the field!
__________________
Originally posted by heinous: "sniper's gun always gets extra camera love"
sniper97 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:24 PM   #25 (permalink)
Mind Detonator
 
ApoC_101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Vancouver, BC

Future guns will be using new transfer ports which are standard broached the correct size and shouldn't have the issue (along with using a teflon-based sealant so less torque is required for removal).

Heinous, that transfer port was made in China, you can blame them instead of yourself. three small parts were made overseas, the transfer ports, the velocity adjusters, and the bolt knobs. I threw out half of the transfer ports because they were broached so bad I couldn't get any allen key at all to fit, and the NPT threads had to be re-cut... and the velocity adjusters require about 7 minutes each of machine and die cutting time to make them good (and many get thrown out because they are drilled poorly). At least the bolt knobs are okay? Most Chinese parts suck, simple as that. Hence the need to get our own little turret lathe in the next month, so we can make our own small parts and cut other low-cost manufacturing out of our work

(PS you could also just blame me instead, for exercising that overseas option in the first place... we were desperate to reduce costs, now I have learned it's better to just charge more and never cut corners where quality is on the line)

Last edited by ApoC_101; 05-23-2012 at 09:33 PM.
ApoC_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:39 PM   #26 (permalink)
no, I'M sorry
 
heinous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApoC_101 View Post
Future guns will be using new transfer ports which are standard broached the correct size and shouldn't have the issue (along with using a teflon-based sealant so less torque is required for removal).

Heinous, that transfer port was made in China, you can blame them instead of yourself. three small parts were made overseas, the transfer ports, the velocity adjusters, and the bolt knobs. I threw out half of the transfer ports because they were broached so bad I couldn't get any allen key at all to fit, and the NPT threads had to be re-cut... and the velocity adjusters require about 7 minutes each of machine and die cutting time to make them good (and many get thrown out because they are drilled poorly). At least the bolt knobs are okay? Chinese parts suck, simple as that. Hence the need to get our own little turret lathe in the next month, so we can make our own small parts and cut other low-cost manufacturing out of our work

(PS you could also just blame me instead, for exercising that overseas option in the first place... we were desperate to reduce costs, now I have learned it's better to just charge more and never cut corners where quality is on the line)
it's good to hear that you will be improving them! if the quality control is as bad as you say, you might have actually been losing money due to all the parts that you need to discard and all the hours you need to spend to refine the rest anyway.

the bolt knob comes off easily, but i think it's just because it's CLEAN. my nelsons all have grime and dirt in that screw hole to anchor the bolt knob, let me play with my retro 7 for a while to dirty it up

on a side note, i have chinese products that are actually good quality, but i bought them in china and it still took a little searching. i don't think they export high quality material probably because nobody would buy them, everyone looks to china only for cheap mass production after all. when the demand is for low quality high quantity, that's what will be supplied.
__________________
feedback http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html

pile of poo, HARD MODE, automag pistol---S.P.E.W.II---What if this hurts me?---No, I'M sorry.---Semiautomatic Nelspot 007!---Decay of Nations 4
Camp Pendleton meetup 2010---Watch me fail at pump!---Clareball 2010 vid!---MCB Stock Class Meet!---HELMETCAM!
Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcandy1993 View Post
Before the first day Velcor said let there be Heinous and it was true. And then Heinous said "Let there be God" and it was true. And it was good

Last edited by heinous; 05-23-2012 at 10:01 PM.
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:51 PM   #27 (permalink)
MCB Member
 
sniper97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006

CCM Fan


__________________
Originally posted by heinous: "sniper's gun always gets extra camera love"

Last edited by sniper97; 05-25-2012 at 12:10 AM.
sniper97 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:05 PM   #28 (permalink)
MCB Member
 
snaparen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: looking through the knotholes in granny's wooden leg

Great review!!
I second your comments on the 12g knob and hard to turn to pierce sometimes.
__________________
4 out of 5 voices in my head say i'm ok
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar View Post
the mods here suck...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaD View Post
Asking for brass on MCB is like going to the grocery and saying "Looking for food, you guys have any"?
My Feedback

Stuff I want or need evenually

want to buy red pump handle

Nelson, Tippmann, Dye, Angle, Spyder stuff
snaparen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:23 PM   #29 (permalink)
depot damager
 
anomoly40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Central Arkansas


__________________
Like us on Facebook!
www.facebook.com/firstshotdropoff

MCB feedback
AGD feedback
anomoly40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:32 PM   #30 (permalink)
MCB Member
 
sniper97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006

CCM Fan
..all the credit goes to Ton's!

Out of Draxxus Silver, decided to go back to Marbs, bored, .683-.685, decided to go with .684 SS Freak and 14" deadlywind barrel...it is deadly accurate, WOW!

The R7 is a blast to shoot! The stock barrel wasn't bad, the DW was dead on.

I love the trigger!

Just watched video, my 12 gram is no where that hard to pierce, also, I am sure I do not turn the 12 gram plug nearly as far as you did. I think the shot count is due to the crossman 12 gram and the extreme underboaring....just my thoughts.

IMHO, it seems like you need to bore equal to paint...Marbs were .683-.685ish, the .684 SS Freak insert was great! Originally shooting Marbs, I was breaking quite a few, this time they were fine? No idea why!

Do you parents know you are shooting their garage door?
__________________
Originally posted by heinous: "sniper's gun always gets extra camera love"

Last edited by sniper97; 05-23-2012 at 11:15 PM.
sniper97 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

  mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » MCB Reviews It

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO
© MCB Network LLC