mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   MCB Reviews It (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/mcb-reviews/)
-   -   ANS Gator Black paintballs (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/mcb-reviews/208145-ans-gator-black-paintballs.html)

SD.Pump 07-14-2012 05:06 PM

ANS Gator Black paintballs

ANSgear brought Gator Black paintballs back to the market. Fifteen years ago Gator Black balls were an RPS brand with green fill and a black shell. Rumor was, it was black shell Marballizer. Today things are different, Gator Black balls are advertised as a variant of RPS Premium. Let's compare.

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/g...p/c3af26a4.jpg

Clearly the fills are different. Gator Black fill is thicker but duller green.

Gator Black (GB) shells are thicker than Marballizer shells by a noticeable amount. By the end of an 80 degree day I was bouncing paint off of hollow plywood bunkers at a range of forty feet. I did not witness any bounces off players but I can't imagine the paint would break on a jersey at that point. In the future I will keep the paint in a cooler with my lunch and an icepack.

Most batches of Marballizer require a .683 or smaller bore to prevent roll-outs. The GB rolled through everything larger than a .675 Freak insert. I was very happy I had the foresight to buy that insert (first time I used it.)

That all said, the GB paint flew straight and never broke in gun, even when shot through a Trracer on HPA (which did break a Marballizer causing a huge mess.)

I won't be buying GB again at $60 a case. Locally I can buy Evil, Marballizer or Valken Redemption at that price. Those paints have the brittleness I want and consistently break on the field.

casper 07-14-2012 08:01 PM

Video from me is coming, been waiting for a review.When I tried to break the first ball it bounced and when i saw the fill I was so dissapointed.

matteekay 07-18-2012 12:13 AM

Picked up 100 rounds to test out and you're right, they're incredibly small. I've been trying to find something that won't break in my Duckslide using an ASP TPC and it sounds like these might work... but thicker shelled than a Marb?! How is that not breaking bones?

r90t 07-18-2012 02:00 AM

Disappointed with this paint for the price. Very small, more bounces compared to similiar price pain.

uv_halo 07-18-2012 12:56 PM

I remembered the gator black as having the neon green however, that was long enough ago that my memory may not be as accurate as I would like.

I suspect that buying paint over the internet, in the summer, may not be the best idea, particularly if it's a summer like many of us are experiencing.

Fedex/UPS trucks aren't climate controlled and exposure to heat will make the balls more bouncy.

pbalien73 07-18-2012 02:48 PM

Glad I read this. Gator is all our team would shoot back in the day. Shot straight, consistent and had the brightest green fill. We couldn't get enough of it, and we ordered it by the skid:) Guess I won't be buying any for old time sake. Thanks again.

DevilMayCare 07-18-2012 02:53 PM

Completely off topic... pbalien, what is the marker in your avatar (t2?)?

And who did the anno?

I want to make sweet, sweet love to that anno job.

SD.Pump 07-18-2012 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uv_halo (Post 2414858)
I remembered the gator black as having the neon green however, that was long enough ago that my memory may not be as accurate as I would like.

I suspect that buying paint over the internet, in the summer, may not be the best idea, particularly if it's a summer like many of us are experiencing.

Fedex/UPS trucks aren't climate controlled and exposure to heat will make the balls more bouncy.

The GI Milsim 5-star that arrived in the same box (and shot the same day as the GB) was excellent.

pbalien73 07-18-2012 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilMayCare (Post 2414957)
Completely off topic... pbalien, what is the marker in your avatar (t2?)?

And who did the anno?

I want to make sweet, sweet love to that anno job.

S6.5 One of Bazooka Boys oldschool slash jobs. I have twins, the other is a S6.

DevilMayCare 07-18-2012 04:39 PM

I'm playing Barry White tunes and thinking impure thoughts about your twins.